Day 6 - "emptying oneself of the 'spirit of the world'

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

First, I need to clarify that I had typed my title “day 4” again yesterday instead of day 5 - sorry about that. There are two different posts with the same title – not sure how that happened but since God permitted it I’m not too concerned, the important thing for me is simply to do prayerfully the best I can do and learn from Him as our Mother Mary did, one day at a time what “humility” truly means. :slight_smile:

St. Teresa of Avila wrote in one of her many books that humility is “Truth” and I believe God gave her the grace to see that in her own journey of prayer . In describing the first “Dwelling Places” in her book “The Interior Castle”, St. Teresa lays much stress on humility and the importance of “self knowledge”.

So today, on day 6, of our journey toward renewal of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary (or toward Consecration for the first time), let us return to St. Lous de Montfort’s words in his treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”:

1. Those who desire to take up this special devotion, … should spend at least twelve days in emptying themselves of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus, …

As I read that sentence again this morning, I remembered Jesus’ words in Matthew’s Gospel:

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” (Mt 11: 28-30)

May God give us His Grace, for truly without Him we can do nothing. If we are to learn from Him as Mary our Mother learned from Him by pondering in her heart all He said and did, then we need to ponder His Words and “see” by the Light of faith given to us at Baptism how humbly Jesus lived before His Father. I believe His “yoke” was the Will of the Father. He did only the Father’s Will, as we hear HIm pray to His Father, in Agony, “Thy Will, not mine be done”.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful…Jesus, we trust in You…Mary, Mother and Model of the Church, pray for us.

@MariaChristi

Please can your explain ,how do you do that,and what is self emptying oneself?

Dear Francis,

Good question! It would take more words than CAF allows in one reply, Francis, but I believe St. Louis de Montfort was taught by God’s Revelation and shares what he learned from listening to God in Scripture, Tradition and the Magisterium of the Church.

If one has been baptized, that person has likewise received from God the supernatural gifts of Faith in order to believe in God, Hope, in order to trust in God and Divine Charity in order to love as God loves. Many of us do not access those gifts. Some of us were not nurtured as children to really know the wonderful gifts we have been given. Some of us were nurtured, perhaps, but have either forgotten or rejected the Truth we were given. Too few, perhaps continue to ask, and seek and knock for the door to open as Jesus encouraged us in His Sermon on the Mount (cf Mt 7:7-11).

St. Louis de Montfort in writing his treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin” explains how total Consecration to Jesus through Mary is a perfect renewal of our Baptismal promises. If we were baptized as children our Godparents made the promises in our name but now we are able to renew our Baptismal promises every Easter and answer the priest who asks: “Do you reject satan?” We answer: “I do”. He asks: “And all his works?” We answer: “I do” He asks: "And all his empty promises? “We answer” “I do”. He then asks another series of questions on what we believe from the Creed and again we answer : “I do”. I’m convinced there are some who take that renewal lightly and St. Louis de Montfort was given the Grace by God to write his treatise so the Church would know better how to live The Truth the Church teaches and reject satan’s lies.

I encourage you to read his treatise to understand better than I can explain here. I will be posting more as we proceed on this journey. Today is only Day 6 of a 33 Day Journey of Preparation. You can read the treatise online HERE The link will bring you to the Table of Contents and if you click on Chapter 7 you will find a description of the 33 Day Preparation, but you need to begin to read from the beginning of Chapter 1 to get the “whole picture” of the treatise. Thanks for your question, and I hope you will continue to ask the Lord that you may receive; continue to seek that you will find and continue to knock that the door will be opened for you.

@MariaChristi

Thanks so much for the explanation,can you please link of suggest where can i get the original prayers of the below mentioned, and is it the Litany of Loreto or some other Litany

Every day they should say the Litany of the Holy Spirit, the Ave Maris Stella and the Litany of the Blessed Virgin.

@Francis
There is a consecration to Mary app which has the St Louis De Monforte method lays out all for you prayers etc are all there.

Dear Francis,

I’m not good at using “Apps” but if you are, you may consider replying to ThomasDooly81 who posted on this thread and see how you might go about using the app he mentions.

For my part, when we begin those parts of the Preparation in which St. Louis de Montfort calls for specific prayers, I will post links at that time. Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile:

@MariaChristi thanks in the Name of Jesus and Mary for your perseverance and encouragement,

i would like to also take a printout, so it’ll be nice to have hard-copy handy too

@ThomasDooley81 thanks so much i have installed this app,God Bless

thanks

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netbrainer.consecration_for_catholics_01&hl=en_IN

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.