Day 7 - "emptying oneself of the spirit of the world"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today, I’m continuing this first period of 12 preliminary days of seeking to “empty oneself of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the Spirit of Christ”, as St. Louis De Montfort instructs us in his 33 Day Preparation for Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary. For anyone who is unfamiliar with St. Louis de Montfort’s treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”, you may want to read the online version of this Spiritual Classic HERE

In Chapter 7, he outlines his method of preparation, but it is good to begin at the very beginning of the treatise to better appreciate, by God’s Grace, what the saint explains.
As I was listening to the Mass Readings for today, I was struck especially by the words of Jesus in the Gospel:

…No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him,
and I will raise him on the last day.
It is written in the prophets:
They shall all be taught by God.
Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me…

As I replied to Joseph yesterday in the thread on Day 6, St. Louis de Montfort wrote that the Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary is a perfect renewal of our Baptismal Promises. Many of us who were baptized as children were unaware of the great supernatural gifts given to us in Baptism and some of us were poorly nourished in our youth to grow spiritually in Supernatural Faith, Hope and Divine Charity. These three Theological virtues begin with God and have God for their end.

By Sanctifying Grace, we were given a share in God’s Life and were incorporatied into the Body of Christ. We were enabled to believe in God, trust in God and to love as He has loved us. We are all called to that holiness which was intended for us in Baptism. Jesus is pointing us today, in the Gospel to the reality of what He came to give us by His Incarnation in the womb of Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit. We are called to live a supernatural life in Christ. God offers us actual graces but we so often do not choose to accept His Will for us to become Holy as He is Holy. Sadly, we neglect God’s invitations.

We prefer the “spirit of the world” which is the broad and easy way of seeking our own will rather than seeking to make time and place in our hearts for God to teach us. Let us listen to the Readings today, and I would suggest in your free time today to look at the verses in 1 Kings 19:9-12 which follow the verses in today’s First Reading because Elijah has a special revelation from God that comes to him in a unique way. The Old Testament is always pointing us to the Truth to come in the New Testament. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.