Dear Brothers and Sisters,
It seems to me God is blessing us in hidden ways, even when so much confusion and violence occurs in the world. What a grace for us to be sharing this journey. Susan, DCE, david, Stella and I are only 5 replying but there are 50 or so “views” on the journey thread for yesterday. So some “lurkers” may become interested to read part or persevere in reading all of St. Louis de Montfort’s “True Devotion”. God, like the Prodigal Father in Luke’s Gospel, is looking and longing for the wayward child of His Heart.
Let us not be like the older brother in the parable who seemed not to understand the Father’s Love, Rather, let us pray with our Brother Jesus and our Mother Mary – interceding for all those in need of His Mercy, especially in these days when many are wandering, confused and hungry for Truth.
Striving to “rid ourselves of the spirit of the world”, hopefully we can “see” in faith, God’s gift of Mary to us. In Chapter One, part 4, of “True Devotion” we read:
4. Mary’s part in the latter times
- The salvation of the world began through Mary and through her it must be accomplished. Mary scarcely appeared in the first coming of Jesus Christ so that men, as yet insufficiently instructed and enlightened concerning the person of her Son, might not wander from the truth by becoming too strongly attached to her. This would apparently have happened if she had been known, on account of the wondrous charms with which Almighty God had endowed even her outward appearance. So true is this that St. Denis the Areopagite tells us in his writings that when he saw her he would have taken her for a goddess, because of her incomparable beauty, had not his well-grounded faith taught him otherwise. But in the second coming of Jesus Christ, Mary must be known and openly revealed by the Holy Spirit so that Jesus may be known, loved and served through her. The reasons which moved the Holy Spirit to hide his spouse during her life and to reveal but very little of her since the first preaching of the gospel exist no longer.
- God wishes to make Mary better known in the latter times.
- God wishes therefore to reveal Mary, his masterpiece, and make her more known in these latter times:
(1) Because she kept herself hidden in this world and in her great humility considered herself lower than dust, having obtained from God, his apostles and evangelists the favour of being made known.
(2) Because, as Mary is not only God’s masterpiece of glory in heaven, but also his masterpiece of grace on earth, he wishes to be glorified and praised because of her by those living upon earth.
(3) Since she is the dawn which precedes and discloses the Sun of Justice Jesus Christ, she must be known and acknowledged so that Jesus may be known and acknowledged.
(4) As she was the way by which Jesus first came to us, she will again be the way by which he will come to us the second time though not in the same manner.
(5) Since she is the sure means, the direct and immaculate way to Jesus and the perfect guide to him, it is through her that souls who are to shine forth in sanctity must find him. He who finds Mary finds life, that is, Jesus Christ who is the way, the truth and the life. But no one can find Mary who does not look for her. No one can look for her who does not know her, for no one seeks or desires something unknown. Mary then must be better known than ever for the deeper understanding and the greater glory of the Blessed Trinity.
(6) In these latter times Mary must shine forth more than ever in mercy, power and grace; in mercy, to bring back and welcome lovingly the poor sinners and wanderers who are to be converted and return to the Catholic Church; in power, to combat the enemies of God who will rise up menacingly to seduce and crush by promises and threats all those who oppose them; finally, she must shine forth in grace to inspire and support the valiant soldiers and loyal servants of Jesus Christ who are fighting for his cause.
(7) Lastly, Mary must become as terrible as an army in battle array to the devil and his followers, especially in these latter times. For Satan, knowing that he has little time - even less now than ever - to destroy souls, intensifies his efforts and his onslaughts every day. He will not hesitate to stir up savage persecutions and set treacherous snares for Mary’s faithful servants and children whom he finds more difficult to overcome than others. (underlining is mine for emphasis)
This is a rather long excerpt but an important one for us. By God’s Grace may we prayerfully hear with the ears of our hearts, and do the Truth we hear.