Day 9 - on our journey with Mary to the Crib

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Yesterday I was remembering a passage in St. Louis de Montfort’s True Devotion regarding the Holy Spirit and found it in Chapter 1, paragraph 36:

1. When the Holy Spirit, her spouse, finds Mary in a soul, he hastens there and enters fully into it. He gives himself generously to that soul according to the place it has given to his spouse. One of the main reasons why the Holy Spirit does not work striking wonders in souls is that he fails to find in them a sufficiently close union with his faithful and inseparable spouse. I say “inseparable spouse”, for from the moment the substantial love of the Father and the Son espoused Mary to form Jesus, the head of the elect, and Jesus in the elect, he has never disowned her, for she has always been faithful and fruitful.

I remembered this passage because I was pondering how important our prayer to the Holy Spirit is in discerning how to “empty ourselves of the spirit of the world which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus.” I underlined the sentences above because they give me confidence, each time I read them. My confidence is NOT in myself, but in God Incarnate, Who while dying on the cross, gave Mary to us as our Mother.

If the Holy Spirit is not working striking wonders in me, it is because He is not finding in me a “sufficiently close union with His Faithful and inseparable spouse” – our Mother Mary. I love her but I know there is much more God needs to do in me; and so I encourage you today, even as I encourage my own poor soul, to seek closer union with Mary, through whom all God’s Graces flow. I need to pray to the Holy Spirit, through Mary and with Mary more fervently, and seek to do all things this day prayerfully for love of God as she did and to love my neighbor as myself, as God commands.

By God’s Grace, let us, with Mary, do as God tells us through St. Paul:

“Make love your aim” (cf 1 Cor 14:1).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.