Day of the dead?

Our local paper is running a report on it saying that it is a Catholic Holiday and it is about conjuring up the dead to have them around their families again? Any thoughts?

[quote="Catholicpotato, post:1, topic:217846"]
Our local paper is running a report on it saying that it is a Catholic Holiday and it is about conjuring up the dead to have them around their families again? Any thoughts?

[/quote]

Go on line. Print off the truth from a Catholic web site, and email it to the editor as an editorial.

"Around Halloween it's important to get your head straight about these things.

Halloween (the "e'en" or evening before **"All Hallow's," or all **the "Holy Ones," the saints) is the vigil of two feast days. All Saints Day is November 1, and All Souls Day is November 2."

On All Saints we celebrate the lives of the saints, especially those in heaven.

On All Souls Day we remember those who have died, especially in our immediate family.

americancatholic.org/Newsletters/YU/ay1001.asp

Is the article referring to Dia de los muertos? Day of the dead?

Yes KTC It is about the Hispanic tradition. but it links it to Catholic beliefs of the dead coming back to eat their favorite meals on altars and spend a day with their live families.....
It just seems so odd to me and I think the paper is getting maybe some uneducated superstitions mixed up with real theology. It states that the dead need to know that prayers are being said for them...... Wouldn't they be able to know that no matter what? Why is the tradition to "conjur" up these souls on this day...... If I am wrong here please someone educate me.

*El Dia de Los Muertos *, is one of the most popular holidays in Mexico. On November 1 , families make ofrendas , which is like a shrine. They put food,drinks,flowers,candles,pictures, and incense in the ofrenda. The belief is that the souls of the dead come and smell the aroma of the food and the go. The *ofrenda *is taken down on the third and the food is eaten. It is a beautiful tradition , and it has kept Halloween out of Mexico!:smiley:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Ofrenda_del_dia_de_los_muertos_6.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Ofrenda_del_dia_de_los_muertos_2.jpg
A very cool video about the holiday:
youtube.com/watch?v=outwCBOYCaU&feature=related

my question is: what happens to all the food??? That looks like a lot

It is at least in the Mexican culture a Catholic holy day, although not one of obligation, the feast of the Poor Souls. The paper was right up to that point. There is nothing in the Catholic tradition of the devotion, nor of the cultural observance as it is practiced here, or anywhere in Mexico with which I am familiar, that has anything to do with “conjuring up the dead.” It has to do with remembering the deceased of the family and honoring their memory, with the connotation that they are still with us. The Catholic aspect of the doctrine is the Communion of Saints.

the food is eaten by the family and friends or given to the poor, similar to the St. Joseph feasts in Italian popular religious culture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.