De-Baptism Gains a Following in Britain

time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1891230,00.html?cnn=yes

"The campaign has become so popular — with nearly 1,000 certificates downloaded each week — that the NSS has started taking orders for certificates printed on parchment, at $4.50 each; they’ve sold nearly 2,000 in just three weeks. “Every time the Pope says something outrageous we get another rush on the certificate,” Sanderson says, noting that traffic to the site skyrocketed last month following Pope Benedict XVI’s comment that condoms could worsen the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa. "

It’s sad. All that comes to mind is “The Parable of the Sower”.

The saddest part is that they are not content in believing the is no God and baptism does nothing, they have to attack others. Funny how their own quote applies to themselves and not the Church: “They’re not just indifferent anymore. They’re actively hostile.” They are just too blind to see it.

Yes, this is really sad.

But we can still have Hope in Christ!

I just need to keep reminding myself of that, and keep praying fervently for all those who wound the Sacred Heart of Jesus. (that would be including myself anytime I sin…:blush:)

Dear Lord, we pray for the World!

in Christ-

It saddens me to think that these people believe the Church is hostile to them. Even if they perceive our political agenda as hostile, at the worst they could label us as misguided, with good intentions. But we certainly do not thumb our noses at them out of spite for them, as this campaign is clearly doing.

Britian has become a culture of yabos…But the church is still at work there…In fact they are building a Statue to honor Our Lady because of the way her shrines were desecrated during the reformation

These people are falling into a trap. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as de-baptism:

1272 Incorporated into Christ by Baptism, the person baptized is configured to Christ. Baptism seals the Christian with the indelible spiritual mark (character) of his belonging to Christ. No sin can erase this mark, even if sin prevents Baptism from bearing the fruits of salvation.83 Given once for all, Baptism cannot be repeated.

CCC 1272

I cannot find the source(s) at the moment, but I have read statements by orthodox writers that the indelible sacraments (Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders) not only mark the soul for eternity, but do so for better or worse. Meaning, it is better to end up in Hell without the mark of baptism than with it. “To whom much is given, much is expected.” For those in Hell who were baptized, that indelible character will increase their torment.

Of course, no one enters Heaven without being cleansed of the stain of original sin. Therefore, it is impossible to enter Heaven without receiving the **effect **of sacramental baptism, even if one does not receive standard baptism by water and word.

Confirmation and Holy Orders, obviously, are not required for entrance into Heaven. But these sacraments also change the character of the soul, conforming it more perfectly to Christ. Therefore, they increase the glory of the beatified souls who possess them.

They also increase the torments of those lost souls who possess them.

These people are putting themselves in grave danger.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners…

Although once you are baptized, you cannot undue baptism, I sort of like that these hostile liberals are detaching themselves from the Church. If they officially announce they no longer belong to the Catholic Church, they wont be going to church to try stir up discontent among the Catholics who still attend.

When I was 19, in my “I don’t need God” pious college kid days, I probably would have signed one of those.

Either way, I wouldn’t worry. The people who signed these forms are the same people who, 5 years from now, will be lining up front row at the communion rail (and hopefully, the confessional first). Until then, pray for them.

These people already left the flock. Trying to formalize it is kind of funny, given that you can’t reverse baptism.

I was away from the Church in college, too, but there’s a big difference between becoming lukewarm and demonstratively renouncing the faith.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Hehe. Sorry folks, no such thing as an indelible mark remover.

Wasn’t that one of George Calin’s old bits? You know, Jumbo Shrimp, Military Intelligence, Indelible Mark Remover… :wink:

Hmmm…perhaps there’s a bundle to be made here. Perhaps some enterprising entrepreneurial type could set up his little desktop publishing shop and start hawking various and sundry types of genuine authentic facsimile pseudo-parchments, proclaiming all sorts of freedoms and rights. Such as:

[LIST]
*]Freedom from, oh, say, that oppressive and oh so annoying Law of Gravity.
*]Or, It’s My Right to be Left Behind.
*]Or, My Living Will (as in, my living will be cut short by murderer-assisted suicide).
[/LIST]
Or maybe not. Just a thought. :wink:

well to me, if they don’t know something as basic as baptism is once and for always, they clearly weren’t star church members before “the Pope said something stupid”, well, you can draw your own conclusions. “no use crying over spilt milk” doesn’t quite fit, as we should worry about people placing themselves outside the church, but its not far either

I’m an outsider but . . . .

Since they don’t believe that it was ‘delible’ in the first place then they obviously don’t believe that it’s ‘indelible’ but, rather, that some guy just poured water on them when they were babies. If you don’t believe that anything beyond a minor physical attack was ‘done’ in the first place then the views of people who do believe that it had some significance are as irrelevant as anything else those people believe.

In other words, surely they’re just making a political point?

Interesting point. Personally, I think they’ve just found a new way to say “Look at me.” And look at them I do, only with sadness, not admiration.

Still, I’m glad I never did anything stupid when I was young…you know, something that I would be embarrassed about years later, with the benefit of experience and wisdom. Ahem.

These poor people need prayer so much. Please, all of you, keep them in prayer daily that they may return to the truth.

These people are looking for some sort of closure that will never come. Honestly, all they’re doing is trying to make a point in a very arrogant way.

They can believe whatever they want but the fact remains: the past is not ‘delible.’

I drank a cup of coffee this morning. I was baptized last year. Those cannot be undone because they are historical events. **They happened. **No amount of wishful thinking can undo the past. Nothing can un-drink my coffee. Nothing can un-baptize me. Nothing, not even $4.50 worth of mumbo-jumbo and personal beliefs.

If they wanted to make a political statement there are plenty of avenues for that but spending money on a bit of paper to undo the past is rank superstition – magical thinking.

Obviously, it’s all meaningless to me anyway but my guess is that it’s a political statement rather some belief in something that can undo another something that they don’t believe was done (in the sense of having any meaning beyond getting wet) in the first place.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.