Deacon gives homily walking around

Our parish still has abuses and not much seems to change. Our Deacon whom I thought would stay on track decided to walk back and forth across the sanctuary while delivering his homily.

. Our Deacon whom I thought would stay on track decided to walk back and forth across the sanctuary while delivering his homily.

The deacon probably saw Jimmy Swaggert or John Hagee, both big on that technique, a few too many times on TV.

Although, there is no canon to my knowledge that prohibits pacing, so its really not what one expects in a Catholic church, but technically it ain’t an abuse.

Girm 97. The homily is given at the chair or at the lectern.

[quote=buffalo]Our parish still has abuses and not much seems to change. Our Deacon whom I thought would stay on track decided to walk back and forth across the sanctuary while delivering his homily.
[/quote]

As you noted, the homily is to be given from the ambo or from the chair. If a deacon is giving the homily it’s probable that the presider is sitting in the chair, so the general interpretation of that directive is “from the ambo or the immediate vicinity of the chair” (which I interpret to mean in front of the deacon’s chair).

Because the homily is an integral part of the liturgy the use of the ambo is most appropriate since it is a continuation of the Word proclaimed – that is, breaking open the Word.

Perhaps a short, non-critical discussion with the deacon could resolve the problem?

Deacon Ed

A couple of ours come down from the sanctuary area, too. Apparenly, it is not forbidden for the homiliest to leave the lectern while preaching. From the GIRM:

VII. LECTERN (AMBO) OR PLACE FROM WHICH THE WORD OF GOD IS PROCLAIMED

1. The dignity of the word of God requires the church to have a
    place that is suitable for proclamation of the word and is a natural
    focal point for the people during the liturgy of the word.[84]

As a rule the lectern or ambo should be stationary, not simply a
movable stand. In keeping with the structure of each church, it must be so placed that the ministers may be easily seen and heard by the faithful.

The readings, responsorial psalm, and the Easter Proclamation
() are proclaimed from the lectern; it may be used also for the homily and general intercessions (prayer of the faithful).

It is better for the commentator, cantor, or choir director not to
use the lectern.

Della,

[quote=Della]A couple of ours come down from the sanctuary area, too. . From the GIRM:
[/quote]

Quote:
VII. LECTERN (AMBO) OR PLACE FROM WHICH THE WORD OF GOD IS PROCLAIMED

1. The dignity of the word of God requires the church to have a
    place that is suitable for proclamation of the word and is a natural
    focal point for the people during the liturgy of the word.[84]

As a rule the lectern or ambo should be stationary, not simply a
movable stand. In keeping with the structure of each church, it must be so placed that the ministers may be easily seen and heard by the faithful.

The readings, responsorial psalm, and the Easter Proclamation
() are proclaimed from the lectern; it may be used also for the homily and general intercessions (prayer of the faithful).

It is better for the commentator, cantor, or choir director not to
use the lectern.

Sorry:o , but I do not understand how you get,

“Apparenly, it is not forbidden for the homiliest to leave the lectern while preaching”

out of the GIRM you quote :confused:

Reading this,

buffaloGirm 97. The homily is given at the chair or at the lectern.

CLEARLY indicates the instruction.

Am I missing something? Please explain.

Bless you,

Joe

[quote=John666]Della, Sorry:o , but I do not understand how you get, out of the GIRM you quote :confused: Reading this,
CLEARLY indicates the instruction. Am I missing something? Please explain. Bless you, Joe
[/quote]

Evidently the word “may” is taken to mean “must.” That is how a judge interpreted it for my insurance company, May go to arbitration means must go to arbitration.

Could he have been nervous? I find it hard to stand still when I’m speaking in front of a group…

No. - He has been giving homilies for about 1 year and a half. Nervousness is not the issue.

[quote=buffalo]Our Deacon whom I thought would stay on track decided to walk back and forth across the sanctuary while delivering his homily.
[/quote]

I am told that Bishop Fulton Sheen used to be a “wanderer” while giving Homilies or whatever they were called back then.

I don’t really mean to be critical of the critical but isn’t this rather picky? Even if he got it from the TV preachers why is it a problem if he paces. If he preaches heresy then go after him. If he preaches truth let him stand on his head if he wishes.

I may be a bit sensitive to this as I was a preacher for many years. Deal with what he says and don’t worry about how he says it and everyone will be happier…

Dan L

[quote=GregoryPalamas]I don’t really mean to be critical of the critical but isn’t this rather picky? Even if he got it from the TV preachers why is it a problem if he paces. If he preaches heresy then go after him. If he preaches truth let him stand on his head if he wishes.

I may be a bit sensitive to this as I was a preacher for many years. Deal with what he says and don’t worry about how he says it and everyone will be happier…

Dan L
[/quote]

I agree except for the standing on head part. It would make it difficult to hear with all the vestments burrying his head.

buffalo,
It’s funny that you mention that. Yesterday at mass at the church I attend our deacon gave the homily as well, and he walks around up there. It also bugs me. I like the guy, but at least for me, I like as much familiarity as possible at mass, so I can be more prayerful and contemplative. Whenever he gives homilies, my eyes are following wherever he goes and it’s distracting. Oh, and when he was done (it WAS a nice homily by the way), most of the people applauded. That bugged me as well. I guess I’m too picky sometimes!

[quote=TamaraS]buffalo,
It’s funny that you mention that. Yesterday at mass at the church I attend our deacon gave the homily as well, and he walks around up there. It also bugs me. I like the guy, but at least for me, I like as much familiarity as possible at mass, so I can be more prayerful and contemplative. Whenever he gives homilies, my eyes are following wherever he goes and it’s distracting. Oh, and when he was done (it WAS a nice homily by the way), most of the people applauded. That bugged me as well. I guess I’m too picky sometimes!
[/quote]

Sounds like watching the preachers from Greater Grace Temple on tv.

At a parish I belonged to for awhile the priest would walk around while giving the sermon. He wouldn’t pace he would come down to the level of the parishners. I liked it. I used to be a preacher so I was trained to be among the people when I preached. I agree as long as he isn’t teaching heresy no biggee. BTW, I prefer a more orthodox Mass.

James

Yikes.

At least there wasn’t any clapping… right?

[quote=Elliott]I agree except for the standing on head part. It would make it difficult to hear with all the vestments burrying his head.
[/quote]

Elliott,

You di gave a point there. I’ve never tried it but the scenario sounds plausible.

I’m a bit surprised at the complaint in this thread. After reading so many complaints by and about bored parishioners who really are disconnected from the faith one would think that there would be compliments to the Deacon for trying. I’m Eastern Catholic. Our priest delivers a sterling and stirring sermon. He doesn’t pace. But neither does he stand in one place. Every movement is intentional.

From: 1. Opening his Bible and blowing away the dust to illustrate in a gentle but humorous way our need to read. To:
2. Filling the Baptismal with all sorts of items and then reaching way down into it to pull out items while nearly (apparently) falling in to illustrate our need to get rid of many things in order to follow.
3. To taking a pointer to the large icon of the crucifixion and pointing out our martyr status.
4. To wearing two baseball caps temporarily, etc, etc.

These are illustrations. They get the point across. The points are very Orthodox and very Biblical.

If there is no orthodox point the sermon movement is superflous. If the truth is proclaimed illustration is wonderful. We almost never clap, but we do occassionally. Clapping or not clapping isn’t the point is it? It depends on the purpose of the clapping. Worship is done in all sorts of ways.

There’s enough scandal in the world and in the Church without turning positives into negatives, isn’t there?

Dan L

Is disobedience to the rubrics positive?

I guess you learn something new everyday. I never realized this was a problem. I’ve had a couple priests over the years who have walked around during their homily. I never gave it much thought and didn’t realize there was a rule against it.

[quote=Elliott]I agree except for the standing on head part. It would make it difficult to hear with all the vestments burrying his head.
[/quote]

From a practical standpoint due to the acoustics and sound system when he turns and faces the other way, I usually can’t here what he has to say. So I get 1/2 the homily.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.