Deacon

Hello all, can a maried Catholic man whose wife is a protestant Christian still become a Deacon in the Catholic church providing all other requirements are met?

Thanks,

MacUait

I've heard of a few cases, but it is a matter for the bishop to decide. (I can tell you that here in GR you would be as likely to be accepted as anyone else, that is to say not at all, we don't currently have a diaconate program:shrug:)

[quote="McUait, post:1, topic:203093"]
Hello all, can a maried Catholic man whose wife is a protestant Christian still become a Deacon in the Catholic church providing all other requirements are met?

Thanks,

MacUait

[/quote]

Yes. My class which is scheduled to be ordained in December has one member who is married to a Southern Baptist.

This could be different in different locals because of need. The calling to the diaconate is not just the person's call, it is the Church as well who discerns a call. If there are enough deacons in an area that area can and is more selective.

Yes, it's canonically possible.

I, for one, think it's not a good idea. Perhaps if your wife was in the process of becoming Catholic it might make a bit more sense.

It's an anomaly that it's permitted - Orthodox Churches require their wives to be Orthodox before their husbands may study to become deacons or priests.

God bless,

[quote="Diaconia, post:4, topic:203093"]
I, for one, think it's not a good idea. Perhaps if your wife was in the process of becoming Catholic it might make a bit more sense.

[/quote]

From personal experience, and with a lot of personal bias, I'll have to respectfully disagree. When my father was ordained to the Diaconate, my mother was president of the women's club at the United Methodist Church she attended. The Bishop assigned my Dad to minister to other couples in mixed-marriages. A candidate with a non-Catholic wife should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, just like all candidates.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.