Deacons giving communion say what at the dismissal?

Our deacon at dismissal says"Go in peace. Your sins have been forgiven." It has been brought to my attention that ge us incorrect in forgiving sin. Is that true?

1 Like

That is an odd choice of words.

That would be more appropriate for a Priest to tell you after he has said the Absolution following a confession.

So are u saying it is inappropriate for the Deacon to say?

I am not going to judge the Deacon because I was not present. I am just saying it is unusual (in my experience) and that would be more like something you would hear following a Confession.

The four options for the dismissal are:

Go forth, the Mass is ended.

Go and announce the Gospel of the Lord.

Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life.

Go in peace.

6 Likes

As Perry Mason would say, it assumes facts not in evidence. Venial sins are forgiven in a heartfelt penitential rite and through reception of the Sacrament in a state of grace. But, he cannot know of those in mortal sin. Strikes me as a child of the 60s-70s impetus to grant general absolutions.

Best to ask Father about this, as it is confusing, to say the least.

2 Likes

Thank u 4 ur open mind :blush:

Your Lutheran deacon?

1 Like

Well spotted.

@Farmerific, your profile says you are Lutheran. Did this dismissal occur at the end of a Lutheran service or a Catholic Mass?

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.