Deacons' Livelihood?

I am a relatively new Catholic, baptized and confirmed Nov. 07 2009, and I have always been curious: since deacons spend alot of time at Church, do they also have full-time jobs, or does the Church support them financially as it does priests, or is it more open?

Welcome to the Church! In or diocese, permanent deacons are new. Some deacons hold paid positions in the parishes to which they are assigned and some just volunteer their work. Our current batch deacons are all either retired or very near retirement so it seems to me that they intended to volunteer their time. One nearby parish, that does not have a resident priest, pays their deacon’s expenses and gives him a stipend so that he doesn’t have to go broke driving and etc.

Hey, welcome home!!! I am anewly ordained PD. The CHurch pays me nothing but His grace. I am a local manger in my home town for a large electric utility company, they pay the bills.:thumbsup:

welcome home and welcom to the forums
it varies by individual deacons, parishes and dioceses.
we just ordained our first deacon class, 23 in over 20 years

One man has been working in various capacities for the diocese for many years, and will continue heading a diocesan department, on a regular salary, as he is so distinguished and able in this area. He is not assigned to parish work, yet, that I know of. Half of the others are already working in paid positions in churches or parishes, which will probably continue and are on salary but now will add the duties of deacon in the parish to which they are assigned.

That means our deacon who is the coach and gym teacher in our school. takes on at least 20 hours additional work each week with weddings, funerals, assisting at some Masses including some preaching, quinceneras and the like. He is a man with school age children, and probably the youngest in the class. Oldest is 56, the max age they could be at graduation. Of the others a couple are college professors, one is a doctor, several are teachers, one is a lawyer, they have all kinds of careers, and families to support, so they will stay working there until retirement age. They also assume whatever duties in the parish to which they are assigned in addition to their “day jobs”.

Of those still alive from the first two deacon classes ordained here only a few are still active and they do what they can, the youngest are in their 70s. In this diocese, in a parish that has a deacon, they commonly handle most weddings and funerals, and supervise a ministry such as St. Vincent de Paul, RCIA or so forth.

by contrast, for those who wonder, a secular or diocesan priest is assigned usually to a parish, or to another ministry such as head of hospital chaplains, for which he receives a set salary, transportation allowance, subsidized housing or allowance, SS and retirement, medical, dental etc. If he gets donations for Masses etc. he can keep them and declare them as income, put them in a fund to assist the needy, or put them in the general parish fund and in the latter two cases gets a small token stipend to keep. A religious order priest is supported by his order, and if he has an assignment such as a parish he is paid the same salary, but the money is paid to his order. Benefits are negotiated with his order.

The occupations of the deacons in my ordination class.

Architect
Executive at a waste company
Pharmaceutical formulation chemist
Administrator at a state university.

And yes we all spend a lot of time at the church and in our community but must put family and job first.:thumbsup:

When I went through discernment for the diaconate, it was spelled out plain and simple, the order of priorities a deacon must hold.

God
Family
Job
Church

In fact, my dioceses has a strict policy for deacons who work full-time jobs. No more than 15 hours per week serving in ministry.

If you don’t think 15 hours is all that much, try doing volunteer work along with your job and responsibilities.

Jim

Thank you all for welcoming me home and to these forums, I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

And thanks for the answers, they answered my questions entirely. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.