Deacons, Where Do You Minister?

Deacons, if you feel like doing so, I would like to hear about your ministry.

Tell us about the service portion of your ministry. What do you do outside the parish? Where do you minister? Whom do you serve?

What do you do apart from your liturgical functions that ordinary parishoners might not see and might not be aware of?

-Tim-

Tim, funny you ask this question!

I am not a deacon (obviously:p) or a deacon's wife, but I have many friends who are deacons, and today, my diocese ordained 8 permanent and 3 transitional deacons! Thanks be to God!! :thumbsup:

Here is just a sampling of what some of the deacons I know are involved in.
One is in prison ministry, one ministers in elder care/hospice, one is a the Administrator of a parish, one works in the pro-life movement, one minsters in one of the local college Newman communities, one runs a soup-kitchen, one is very involved in pre-Cana and Marriage Encounter, and one is on the marriage tribunal, and one runs a very vibrante youth faith formation program.

The ministries are as varied as the men, the one thing that they all share is the humble and loving service of men who have dedicated their lives to God!

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:2, topic:286668"]
Tim, funny you ask this question!

I am not a deacon (obviously:p) or a deacon's wife, but I have many friends who are deacons, and today, my diocese ordained 8 permanent and 3 transitional deacons! Thanks be to God!! :thumbsup:

Here is just a sampling of what some of the deacons I know are involved in.
One is in prison ministry, one ministers in elder care/hospice, one is a the Administrator of a parish, one works in the pro-life movement, one minsters in one of the local college Newman communities, one runs a soup-kitchen, one is very involved in pre-Cana and Marriage Encounter, and one is on the marriage tribunal, and one runs a very vibrante youth faith formation program.

The ministries are as varied as the men, the one thing that they all share is the humble and loving service of men who have dedicated their lives to God!

[/quote]

Today? Eight? Yes, thanks be to God!

I would love to hear more about thest ministries in a little bit of detail. How much time is spent? What duties are involved?

-Tim-

Yes, it was this morning!!! And yes 8 + the 3 transitionals that will, God willing, give us 4 (one deacon will be ordained in Rome in September where he is in seminary) new priests next year.

Our largest class in over 10 years!! :thumbsup:

Regarding the ministries- In my diocese is is "required" that a deacon give at least 10 hours a week to the service of the Church and her people. In my expeience, deacons put in much more time than that.

My friend who works in the marriage tribunal works there about 12 hours a week. His duties involve helping people get annulment paperwork in order, doing investigations regarding lack of form, etc. He also helps out at a parish on the weekends and for funeral home services, bringing communion to the sick, helping families plan funeral masses, baptism & marriage prep. He is retired from his "real job", so he has more hours to give.

My friend in prison ministry leads a prayer service and bible study every week at our county jail. He visits the 2 state prisons that are in my diocese 2 times a month for Mass (when a priest is available), pastoral visits and bible study. He also facilitates support groups for people recently released from prison and their families to help & support them in their re-entry to society. And he also helps out in a parish, too!

Permanent Deacons are a wonderful asset to our Church and one of the sweeter fruits of Vatican II! :D

[quote="TimothyH, post:3, topic:286668"]
Today? Eight? Yes, thanks be to God!

I would love to hear more about thest ministries in a little bit of detail. How much time is spent? What duties are involved?

-Tim-

[/quote]

I’m not a deacon, but I’ve known a permanent deacon for nine years now. He was first assigned to our parish, and he ran a prayer group for a long while. He also gave homilies at Mass and at times assisted with the weekly youth group.

He got re-assigned (several deacons and priests were reassigned, semi-annual reshuffle), then had heart surgery. He’s now back in our parish.

He’s a dynamic speaker, excellent with apologetics, and does spiritual direction. I am very blessed to have him accept my request to be my spiritual director, as he can help me understand what it means to be a married man who is also active in ministry work.

Our Diocese ordained 29 permanent deacons, and 4 transitional this year.

Our parish currently has 5 permanent deacons, and their ministries include:

Prison
Hospital
Home bound
RCIA
Youth Group
Grief
Stewardship
Finance
Liturgy
Emhc training
Lector training

Just to name a few.

We keep em busy…LOL

[quote="twopekinguys, post:6, topic:286668"]
Our Diocese ordained 29 permanent deacons, and 4 transitional this year.

Our parish currently has 5 permanent deacons, and their ministries include:

Prison
Hospital
Home bound
RCIA
Youth Group
Grief
Stewardship
Finance
Liturgy
Emhc training
Lector training

Just to name a few.

We keep em busy....LOL

[/quote]

I'd like to hear more about the grief ministry if you know anything.

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:7, topic:286668"]
I'd like to hear more about the grief ministry if you know anything.

-Tim-

[/quote]

One of our permanent deacons is also in the funeral industry, and he leads the ministry.

The people in this ministry meet with the family, pray with them, listen to them, simply sit with them. Whatever it takes to get them through the whirlwind between the death and the funeral.

They also keep close contact with the family for at least a year after the death. That is, if the family still wants/needs the support. It is never forced on them. If they say enough is enough, then that is where it ends.

Many times when there is a death in a family, once the funeral is over, the grieving are left on their own. These people do their best to show God's love, and let them know they are still an important part of the parish community.

There is more to it than that, but it give you an idea.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.