Deacons with kids

Can a divorced man with a child become a deacon?Si

I don’t know about divorced, but I do know married men with kids can.

I would assume that a man that has recieved an annulment could…

But divorce is not in keeping with Church teachings, so I doubt that he could. My (flawed) understanding is that a divorced person is still married as far as the Church is concerned.

Hope that helps

God bless

That would depend on if the church recognised the marriage in the first place. Maybe you should check with a priest.

Being divorced is with church teachings, but not remarrying. I’m not sure it would prevent you from being a deacon but talk to your priest/diocese about it.

No divorce is not with Church teaching. If a marriage is a sacramental marriage, then it is binding for life. A decree of nullity is required for a divorced man to enter formation, priestly or diaconate. A decree of nullity is not a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination. We have a divorcee who is a priest in our diocese, no kids, and a divorcee in diaconate formation now who has kids. Both cases an annulment was granted before starting formation.

[quote="jscofield, post:1, topic:282871"]
Can a divorced man with a child become a deacon?Si

[/quote]

After a decree of nullity, yes if accepted by the diocesan bishop and diaconate committee.

[quote="Lapey, post:6, topic:282871"]
After a decree of nullity, yes if accepted by the diocesan bishop and diaconate committee.

[/quote]

Not to get to technical but it only takes the acceptance of the bishop. Any such vocations committee are only advisory bodies.

I only say this as this is something that a friend of mine ran into in the past.

[quote="ByzCath, post:7, topic:282871"]
Not to get to technical but it only takes the acceptance of the bishop. Any such vocations committee are only advisory bodies.

I only say this as this is something that a friend of mine ran into in the past.

[/quote]

You are right Byz, thanks for the clarification. It is definitely a support role which the committee plays. The Bishop is the authority.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.