Deacons

Can you list their job/role description? thank you.

From the Catechism, CCC 1569-1571:

The ordination of deacons - “in order to serve”

1569 “At a lower level of the hierarchy are to be found deacons, who receive the imposition of hands 'not unto the priesthood, but unto the ministry.”’ [53] At an ordination to the diaconate only the bishop lays hands on the candidate, thus signifying the deacon’s special attachment to the bishop in the tasks of his “diakonia.” [54]

1570 Deacons share in Christ’s mission and grace in a special way. [55] The sacrament of Holy Orders marks them with an imprint (“character”) which cannot be removed and which configures them to Christ, who made himself the “deacon” or servant of all. [56] Among other tasks, it is the task of deacons to assist the bishop and priests in the celebration of the divine mysteries, above all the Eucharist, in the distribution of Holy Communion, in assisting at and blessing marriages, in the proclamation of the Gospel and preaching, in presiding over funerals, and in dedicating themselves to the various ministries of charity. [57]

1571 Since the Second Vatican Council the Latin Church has restored the diaconate “as a proper and permanent rank of the hierarchy,” [58] while the Churches of the East had always maintained it. This permanent diaconate, which can be conferred on married men, constitutes an important enrichment for the Church’s mission. Indeed it is appropriate and useful that men who carry out a truly diaconal ministry in the Church, whether in its liturgical and pastoral life or whether in its social and charitable works, should “be strengthened by the imposition of hands which has come down from the apostles. They would be more closely bound to the altar and their ministry would be made more fruitful through the sacramental grace of the diaconate.” [59]

[53] LG 29; cf. CD 15.
[54] Cf. St. Hippolytus, Trad. ap. 8:SCh 11,58-62.
[55] Cf. LG 41; AA 16.
[56] Cf. Mk 10:45; Lk 22:27; St. Polycarp, Ad Phil. 5,2:SCh 10,182.
[57] Cf. LG 29; SC 35 § 4; AG 16.
[58] LG 29 § 2.
[59] AG 16 § 6.

[quote="Luvtosew, post:1, topic:269563"]
Can you list their job/role description? thank you.

[/quote]

We have 7 of the 10 priestly faculties.

We can:

Marry
Bury
Baptize
Distribute the blessed sacrament
Proclaim the Gospel at Mass
Preach
Teach
Assist at the altar

We also are generally engaged in the charitible works of the church, in hospitals, prisons, nursing homes, food pantries, with the annulment process, etc.

Every deacon is "rooted" in a parish for liturgical service. Sometimes ministries of charity and justice are also done in the Parish, as opposed to a prison or hospital for example. I run our parish marriage prep program, teach RCIA, and am active in the Parish men's ministry.

We cannot,

absolve
annoint
confirm

Thank you, ok now I worked in nursing homes and hospitals on all shifts and I have never seen a Priest in a nursing home, and maybe just a few times in the hospital,

so I'm wondering do Deacons bring communion to individual homes, nursing homes and hospitals? also do the people who recieve it just say an act of contrition to themselves,

I mean also are deacons allowed to hear confessions, I thought only a Priest could.

there are many seniors who can't go to confession let alone Mass for various reasons.

thank you.

[quote="Luvtosew, post:4, topic:269563"]
Thank you, ok now I worked in nursing homes and hospitals on all shifts and I have never seen a Priest in a nursing home, and maybe just a few times in the hospital,

so I'm wondering do Deacons bring communion to individual homes, nursing homes and hospitals? also do the people who recieve it just say an act of contrition to themselves,

Yes to both

I mean also are deacons allowed to hear confessions,

anyone can "hear" a confession, but only priests and bishops can absolve.

I thought only a Priest could.

there are many seniors who can't go to confession let alone Mass for various reasons.

thank you.

[/quote]

[quote="SMOM, post:3, topic:269563"]
We have 7 of the 10 priestly faculties.

We can:

Marry
Bury
Baptize
Distribute the blessed sacrament
Proclaim the Gospel at Mass
Preach
Teach
Assist at the altar

We also are generally engaged in the charitible works of the church, in hospitals, prisons, nursing homes, food pantries, with the annulment process, etc.

We cannot,

absolve
annoint
confirm

[/quote]

Thank you, sounds like your duties are quite varied, which I'm sure the Priests need help in all these areas, So when you deliver communion to homes and nursing homes, the receipients says their own Act of Contrition then. I was mainy wondering about that.:)

Deacons can hear confessions, but they can't absolve sins (so why tell them, huh)? ;)

They can bring communion to the sick, elderly, etc. and do communion services with already consecrated hosts.

I, too, am concerned about the lack of sacraments in the nursing homes. In our parish, the priest does come and have mass on Tuesdays, with a volunteer bringing communion on Sundays. I have also known priests to do anointing of the sick in the nursing homes, but I've never known that confession is regularly offered. Maybe if a family member or resident is concerned, they could call their parish office and ask for a priest to come and hear their confession privately in the room.

Yes well really its hard to imagine anyone in a nursing home commiting a mortal sin, but there are also people in nursing homes that are lucid and probably want to confess, I guess that would be up to families, perhaps I just never had a patient tell me they wanted to see a Priest but have to other nurses.

I mean one never really can prepare before going to a nursing home or hospice or the hospital usually , I can see where Priests would be very busy just going around and hearing confessions .:o

[quote="mommyof4, post:7, topic:269563"]
Deacons can hear confessions, but they can't absolve sins (so why tell them, huh)? ;)

my kids don't need to know that:) I was being fascitious.

They can bring communion to the sick, elderly, etc. and do communion services with already consecrated hosts.

I, too, am concerned about the lack of sacraments in the nursing homes. In our parish, the priest does come and have mass on Tuesdays, with a volunteer bringing communion on Sundays. I have also known priests to do anointing of the sick in the nursing homes, but I've never known that confession is regularly offered. Maybe if a family member or resident is concerned, they could call their parish office and ask for a priest to come and hear their confession privately in the room.

[/quote]

Priests do hear confessions at the nursing home but remember, the sacrament of the sick absolves all sin as well. In my experience most people in nursing homes have little occasion to sin gravely and besides, most of them have recieved the sacrament of the sick, so confessions are not really very necessary in nursing homes. The communion services I have done have been heavily attended.(never seen so many wheelchairs in one place in my life) and all the residents who are Catholic do recieve.

Thank you, that is good to know.:) yes lots of wheelchairs for sure.

[quote="SMOM, post:9, topic:269563"]
Priests do hear confessions at the nursing home but remember, the sacrament of the sick absolves all sin as well. In my experience most people in nursing homes have little occasion to sin gravely and besides, most of them have recieved the sacrament of the sick, so confessions are not really very necessary in nursing homes. The communion services I have done have been heavily attended.(never seen so many wheelchairs in one place in my life) and all the residents who are Catholic do recieve.

[/quote]

I've worked in nursing homes for years too, and I do agree that many of the residents would be unable to participate in confession, but there are some that could and I know would participate in the sacrament. I just would hate to deny the sacrament to someone who still has their cognitive faculties about them, and perhaps does need to confess, especially if they have committed a mortal sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.