dead sea scrolls

Did the dead sea scrolls have the new testament in them?

No Wilma they didn’t. They were largely written before Christ although, according to carbon dating, textual analysis, and handwriting analysis the documents were written at various times between the middle of the 2nd century BC and the 1st century AD and at least one document has a carbon date range of 21 BC–61 AD.

They are important because they demonstrated how accurate our modern OT translations actually are!

The Dead Sea Scrolls mention not one but rather of two messiahs to come, the first would be a priestly messiah whereas the second would be a temporal messiah.

There can be little doubt of course that Jesus (pbuh) is the priestly messiah… but who do Christians think is the temporal or kingly messiah to come that the Dead Sea Scrolls also foretold?

You’ve made an automatic assumation that the Qumran documents are right haven’t you brother? :whistle:

Do you make habitual assumptions about the divine nature of perportedly prophetic parchment found in caves???

:smiley:

Are you saying that you do not accept that Jesus (pbuh) is the priestly messiah mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls?

[size=2]The Qumran sect has most often been identified with the Essenes, who are mentioned by the historian Josephus and are in a few other sources, but are not in the N.T. They were an intensely messianic, apocalyptic, baptist, wilderness, new covenant group, led by a priest they called the “Teacher of Righteousness” who was opposed and possibly killed by the establishment priesthood in Jerusalem.[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]There is also writing about the Nephilim related to the Book of Enoch, do you believe that hamba2han?

I don’t think this is simply a case of this or that, do you?[/size]

There are in fact numerous prophecies found not just in the Dead Sea Scrolls but in many scriptures and other ancient documents as well about the coming of the Last Prophet.

Perhaps I might open a thread on it in the not-too-distant future, God-willing.

[quote=hamba2han]There are in fact numerous prophecies found not just in the Dead Sea Scrolls but in many scriptures and other ancient documents as well about the coming of the Last Prophet.

Perhaps I might open a thread on it in the not-too-distant future, God-willing.
[/quote]

Theres one verse in the New Testament that may or may not point to another Messiah figure; 43 I am come in the name of my Father, and you receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him you will receive.
Now, Christ was talking to the Pharisees in this verse who are representatives of Judaism, they would receive the next ‘Messiah’ or prophet from God, but not Jesus. But so far the Jewish people have not received any other figure as Messiah least of all Islams Mohammad, if he was the prophet or messiah you had in mind.

Actually, it says “if another shall come in his own name, him you will receive.” Jesus is not saying another will come in God’s name.

Yes, I know that. He told them that they would receive that person - whoever he was/is going to be.

edit: Oh I see what you mean … I suppose I meant that they would receive a percieved ‘prophet from God.’

True, and I think you’re right - not Muhammad. I think this is a reference to the Antichrist. Although in many ways Muhammad can be seen as such.

Speaking from what I’ve gathered through my own study, none of the above have anything to do with Muhammad (saaw). He is not any ‘messiah’, that position belongs to Jesus (as).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.