Deadliest Catch

Does anyone else like this show? I’m watching it right now. These guys make me feel like a loser. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="Rolypoly, post:1, topic:240164"]
Does anyone else like this show? I'm watching it right now. These guys make me feel like a loser. :p

[/quote]

Not me. It doesn't look enjoyable at all. :o

However, should anyone be interested in getting a job on an Alaskan fishing boat:
labor.alaska.gov/esd_alaska_jobs/seafood.htm

Bon voyage! :D

My father loves the show. He's watched all of the seasons from what I know. I've mostly skimmed an episode or two. I don't think I'd have much interest in that profession. hehe you'd think being from Newfoundland, fishing and stuff would be in my blood :p:rolleyes:

I cant stand watching... It seems to me to be 55 minutes of ***** bleep ******* and five minutes of FCC-allowable dialogue.

Does anyone else like this show? I'm watching it right now. These guys make me feel like a loser. :p

[/quote]

I watch every week and don't even like crab!

[/quote]

Why would you feel like a loser? Cuz unlike them you don't spend weeks away from your family working long hours in horrible (possibly fatal) conditions just to provide a luxury?

I am NOT saying they are losers, but they're nuts.

I am NOT saying they are losers, but they're nuts.

I definitely agree with the nuts part.

John

Sure does give me a totally new appreciation for crab!! And I LOVE crab!!!

Mmmmm!!! :D

~Liza

I am not fond of most "reality" tv shows but I really enjoy Deadliest Catch. The show has interesting people doing really hard and dangerous work. The storm scenes are incredible, the risks are real (ships have sunk, fishermen have died--and these episodes have been dealt with with sensitivity) and the series celebrates courage, hard work and decent values. I concede that the language is rough but it is rarely gratuitous (unlike that on many scripted shows.) In short, real human beings with real problems trying to get through life.

[quote="Catholic1954, post:5, topic:240164"]
I watch every week and don't even like crab!

[/quote]

Me too! I miss Captain Phil :(

Why would you feel like a loser?

Because I don't think I would last 2 days on one of those boats. I would probably be huddled in a corner of the boat tearing my hair out and babbling incoherently distracting the other workers.

[quote="StJudePray4Me, post:4, topic:240164"]
I cant stand watching... It seems to me to be 55 minutes of ***** bleep ******* and five minutes of FCC-allowable dialogue.

[/quote]

Wait...the Sopranos got a boat? ;)

I like all those shows about people doing stuff like driving ice trucks, fishing, shooting guns, buying other peoples junk (its like antique road show for the regular guy) on the rare occasions when I'm somplace where I see them. But then, I used to watch bass fishing and bowling on ESPN:D

We enjoy the series and the photography. Can do without the “drama” and the “fights”. We dvr the programs and fast forward through the arguments.

We did notice that the crab fishermen NEVER eat crab.

There are a few other reality shows, such as Ice Pilots and Flying Wild Alaska. Where, if you screw up, you die. So there is some semblance of reality and they periodically show you the plane wrecks of the folks who didn’t have “the right stuff” … [Read Tom Wolfe’s book] … and who became “unlucky”. There IS some drama … fake engine failures, and routine crosswind landings portrayed as OMG end of the world. If you research Flying Wild Alaska, the “goofy” daughter might actually be the show’s real-life producer … she has a background in film “stuff” … they don’t say it, but she’s probably been a pilot since she was ten years old … like her younger sister … and her mom.

We watch those airplane shows over and over because a lot of the backgrounds have airplanes that I thought disappeared decades ago. And there are at least two houses made from the fuselages of “expired” / scrapped Air Force tanker planes. KC-97’s.

There are also television shows about logging and coal mining, and drilling for oil and natural gas … there is drama, but there are also enough “actors” who are missing arms and legs to convince you that there is some actual reality … not every time a tree comes down, does the action follow a script.

Heli-logging is interesting … combines the worst of all possible worlds. One of my friends said he quit flying helicopters when he became the sole surviving member of his flight school class.

[/quote]

Keep in mind the line from a Clint Eastwood movie: "Do ya feel lucky?"

There are only a relatively small handful of people in the whole world who can do that kind of work.

Commercial fishing has about the highest fatality rate of all jobs.

It's not a 9-5 job, that's for sure.

[So, there are always openings ... if ya know what I mean.]

We like it when one of the captains is talking to the camera, and if you turn off the sound, you can see the waves through the window behind him ... almost makes ya seasick.

Definitely not done on a sound stage!

Apart from luck, the other "prerequisite" is paying your dues. Meaning working at it for years and years and years and years. Doing all the cr*p-jobs. For years. Who wants to do THAT?

On one of the Alaska flying programs, someone said you either love it or you hate it. And you don't know until you get there.

The key thing is to find something you like doing and getting good at it.

Bloom where you are planted.

You either love it or you hate it.

And I ain't gonna even try it.

And don't feel any the worse for not having tried it.

Not gonna try it now.

and not likely that I was gonna try it when I was 25.

One of the guys said that a lot of people show up, try it for a half a day and drive home without even unpacking their suitcases.

One of the crabby captains complained that it cost him a whole day, when one of the camera guys got so violently seasick ... they had barely put out from the dock ... that they had to turn around and unload the guy so he could fly home.

None of these jobs are anything that I would want to mess with.

50º below Zero! Are you "kidding" me?????

And the crabby guys get ...it's not even ICE cold water ... it is 80º BELOW freezing ... drenched in that water for days at a time with NO sleep and minimal food. And manhandling thousand pound steel cages ... in 40 foot seas ... with 40 mph winds.

You have got to be kidding me.

[quote="Rolypoly, post:11, topic:240164"]
Because I don't think I would last 2 days on one of those boats. I would probably be huddled in a corner of the boat tearing my hair out and babbling incoherently distracting the other workers.

[/quote]

HaHa! One of the boats hired a new guy who did just that! He quit in two days and spent a week just sacking out, eating and watching movies. The rest of the crew got fed up and dumped his stuff down in the engine where he stayed until they went in to unload the catch.

I want some advice for this show. I love it. So much. The Hansen brothers are my favorite!! <3 But I’ve noticed lately that they sometimes don’t censor some of the sailors taking Jesus’s Name in vain. Usually it’s just like mumbling (although in the new season they do it over the loudspeaker and it’s not bleeped). Is it okay to watch this show?

I mean, I don’t really hold the fisherman at fault because they haven’t really been exposed to the Truth and they grew up hearing their fathers do it, you know? But at the same time, I just don’t know if it’s okay to watch. I hear it at work but that’s not volentray so I guess it’s different.

This has been bothering me for a while so I would appreciate some advice!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.