Deadly airborne fungus in Oregon set to spread

"Deadly airborne fungus in Oregon set to spread
The new, rare strain has killed 1 in 4 infected, researchers say

A deadly, airborne new strain of fungus has emerged in Oregon. It has killed nearly one out of four known affected people so far and might also attack animals ranging from dogs to dolphins. And it is likely to spread, researchers now warn."…

Entire article here: msnbc.msn.com/id/36722426/from/RSS/

The "1 in 4" is of those people who develop symptoms. "Symptoms can appear two or more months after exposure. Most people never develop symptoms"...as far as I'm concerned, this is just more media fear mongering.

Then you probably appreciate that when I initially posted, I left off the end times commentary at the site where I found the link. :smiley:

“Deadly cryptococcus fungus in Oregon likely to spread - Fungi live off of dead, and decaying organic matter (saprophytes). Spiritually speaking, considering the rampant depravity, decay, immorality, and unprecedented world wide sin, this novel saprophyte will find plenty of host material. Purification has begun and this fungus may have been sent in these end times as another method to purify.”

Personally, I don’t think the article said much of anything at all. After I read it, I didn’t have much more information than I had when I read the headline. It just doesn’t offer much. But, I wondered if anyone here at CAF who lives in Oregon has heard much about it locally and might post a bit on the subject just for the sake of discussion.

ha! Oh yeah, I forget the world is about to crash into the sun. :smiley:

This website that is a real research organization has some interesting info. Their sampling of residences of Vancouver Island show that 80% of the population there has been exposed to the fungus, but they have not become ill.

Thanks for the info!:thumbsup: I’ll check it out.

The 1 in 4 mortality figure refers only to patients whose infection was so severe they had to be hospitalized.
theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/strain-of-deadly-fungus-spreads-to-oregon/article1545506/

Most people are exposed to the fungus don't get sick. And most persons who do develop symptoms don't require hospitalization.

The US CDC says there is no reason to be worried or to change one's behavior:

"We wouldn't recommend that people change their habits in any way," Julie Harris, PhD, MPH, a staff epidemiologist with the CDC, tells WebMD. "We wouldn't recommend people stay indoors or don't go hiking or don't go outdoors."

The fungus species triggering the infection is Cryptococcus gattii, which can cause pneumonia or meningitis. But the infection ''simply is not common enough for people to warrant changing behavior," Harris says. "It's still very rare. People should be concerned but not alarmed."

webmd.com/lung/news/20100423/airborne-fungus-expected-to-spread-in-u-s

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.