Deadly Sin of Sloth

I have a hard time understanding the sin of sloth. Does anyone have any good examples or explanations of it. If someone started to pray a long set of prayers in the morning or evening, and decided not to on a certain day, would that be sloth? I am a bit confused about this sin.

Please feel free to share any examples or explanations you have. The Catechism might confuse me.

Sloth is really just being so lazy that you are not doing the important things that everyone ought to be doing (work, family responsibilities, prayer, Mass, Confession, etc.).

It is an unhealthy, overbearing laziness that just eats away at your life.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much if one day you didn’t feel life doing your usual routine. God knows what is in our hearts and if we would like to change it up a little bit in regard to prayer, then that if fine, as long as we do not neglect it completely for any given day.

May God bless you abundantly and forever! :slight_smile:

Well said. :thumbsup:

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

SLOTH. Sluggishness of soul or boredom because of the exertion necessary for the performance of a good work. The good work may be a corporal task, such as walking; or a mental exercise, such as writing; or a spiritual duty, such as prayer. Implicit in sloth is the unwillingness to exert oneself in the performance of duty because of the sacrifice and the effort required. As a sin, it is not to be confused with mere sadness over the inconvenience involved in fulfilling one’s obligations, nor with the indeliberate feelings of repugnance when faced with unpleasant work. It becomes sinful when the reluctance is allowed to influence the will and, as a result, what should have been done is either, left undone or performed less well than a person is responsible for doing. Sloth may also mean a repugnance to divine inspirations or the friendship of God due to the self-sacrifice and labor needed to co-operate with actual grace or to remain in the state of grace. This kind of laziness is directly opposed to the love of God and is one of the main reasons why some people, perhaps after years of virtuous living, give up in the pursuit of holiness or even become estranged from God. (Etym. Middle-English slowthe, slow.)

I gave a talk on the Deadly Sin of Sloth at my church this past Lent, as part of a Lenten series of talks we had on the Seven Deadly Sins. If you’re interested, here’s the link:

truthservedraw.wordpress.com/articles/sloth/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.