Dealing with Acedia and mental issues with my work

As a freelance artist, I find that every day is a struggle to get things done. Anytime I try to do my work, fear, anxiety, doubt, physical and mental fatigue and wondering whether God even wants me to do this or that thing makes it much harder to get anything done on my own. I am coming to the realization that this is just not the career for me, and that I need a job somewhere where I have hours, a boss and a routine, because this is driving me crazy. I have serious problems with the sin of Acedia, and on top of that, I also have other mental and physical issues.
I’m not saying I have a bad life, far from it. I have parents who love and care about me, and have been successful in supporting myself to a small degree. I just think I need to get a studio job, because I have worked at studios before, and have had a thoroughly more productive time.
I was wondering if you guys could pray for me, that God would give me direction and the fortitude, grace and love to carry out His plan for my life.

I’m sorry for the difficulties you’re dealing with. Acedia can be very difficult to deal with, harder than it might seem compared to other spiritual problems. I think it’s important to make sure it is truly acedia you’re dealing with, and that it is not more related to the mental and physical issues you have and the fatigue and discouragement that can come from them. I’m not trying to dispute you, and acedia is serious, I’m just saying to not be overly hard on yourself. You obviously want to do the right thing, both morally and for your well-being, and the fact that you recognize your issues and are trying to fix them is a great sign of your spiritual honesty and humility before Christ. My advice to you is to genuinely look into your heart and see what the root of your acedia is. First and foremost, always remember who God is and what He is: Divine in all ways, perfect good and all-knowing and omnipotent. Meditate on the reality of that, of its ubiquitous importance and significance for all of life. That reality should always give you the hope and encouragement to be joyous in your life and to suffer the difficulties you face. Also, examine your mind and heart to see how you want to live your career life. If a more regulated job would truly suit you, then pursue it all the way. Or, if your acedia is just preventing you from doing your best at your current work, then try to fix that and perhaps you could work in the situation you’re in now. It is really up to you. I pray that you may fix your issues, discover the truth of them, and find true happiness and spiritual joy. I ask for the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, your guardian angel, and St. Paul the Apostle. God bless. :slight_smile:

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal Church, for those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom in your time of need. Also, praying to St. Dymphna for your health & recovery.

I’m a freelance artist as well. I know how difficult it can be to organize your world.
Daily Mass and a schedule helps me tremendously (ie. all work must be started after Mass. If I put it off, then it won’t get done.
I will pray for you to overcome this and obtain full time employment if our Lord desires. Do the same for me, please?

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Prayer to Our Lady of Mental Peace

O Lady of Mental Peace,
Mother of Tranquility
and Mother of Hope,
look upon Bdonoho in this time
of weakness and unrest.

Teach her searching heart
to know that God’s Love
for her is unchanging and
unchangeable, and, that
true human love can only
begin and grow by touching
His Love.

Let your gentle Peace -
which this world cannot give

• be always with her.
    And, help her to bring this
    same Peace into the lives
    of others.

Our Lady of Mental Peace,

• Pray for us!
    Amen.

Jesus, Help Me!

In every need let me come to You with humble trust,
saying:
Jesus, help me!
In all my doubts, perplexities, and temptations:
Jesus, help me!
In hours of loneliness, weariness and trials:
Jesus, help me!
In the failure of my plans and hopes, in disappointments,
troubles and sorrows:
Jesus, help me!
When others fail me, and Your Grace alone can assist me:
Jesus, help me!
When I throw myself on Your tender Love as Savior:
Jesus, help me!
When my heart is cast down by failure, at seeing no good
come from my efforts:
Jesus, help me!
When I feel impatient, and my cross irritates me:
Jesus, help me!
When I am ill, and my head and hands cannot work and
I am lonely:
Jesus, help me!

Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls and short-
comings of every kind:
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, help me and never forsake me!

Amen

What an eloquent post…joining in prayers for the intentions of the original poster.
Mary.

Praying.

Gracious and merciful Father, please come to their assistance.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.