Dealing with anti-Catholic stuff.

Coming up against proper anti-Catholic sentiment today from a church friend from a former church. They were properly angry with me, something that has left me tearful and horribly upset. How does one deal with feeling so crushed when attacked like this?

Hi Joy.

Even though we know suffering is to be expected in the Christian life, I know, it can still be so hard to deal with when it comes. I am sorry for how you feel and will pray.

Offer your suffering and pain to Christ. Offer it for specific intentions, if you wish. Offer it as prayers to Him.

Christ showed us that suffering is not pointless (think of His Passion and Death). It has meaning and value when united with Him.

Paul says : “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of His body, that is, the Church…” (Col. 1:24). (and suffering does not just mean physical suffering).

If you do a bible search you will find lots of verses that speak about the value of suffering.

Even though it doesn’t necessarily feel like it, suffering has value as prayer. Believe it.

And it will pass…

…until the next suffering comes :wink:

God bless.

“True followers of Christ, be prepared to have a world make jokes at your expense. You can hardly expect a world to be more reverent to you than to Our Lord. When it does make fun of your faith, it’s practices, abstinences, and rituals, then you are moving to a closer identity with Him Who gave us our faith.”

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Meaning “correct” ?
Or being used as an intensifier?

Sorry, it is my English parlance. I meant ‘very’.

I would keep in mind four things:

(1) A lot of Fundamentalist Protestants have an incredible list of misconceptions/prejudices about Catholicism. One of the very basic misconceptions is that they think our faith is simply a pagan (or even a demonic) caricature of real Christianity. Moreover, they may think this is an absolutely open-and-shut case—something incredibly, obviously demonstrable—and they don’t even bother looking into these things, let alone considering the Catholic position.

Compare this to the way a lot of Americans might treat a Jehovah’s Witness who shows up on their doorstep. Without knowing the first thing about what those young men believe, they’ll often make a sarcastic comment, slam shut the door, and relate to their friends their story about the couple of nutty goons who showed up to discuss religious fanaticism.

Not all Protestants fit this mold, but many do.

(2) A lot of Protestants sincerely want to wake people like us up, and get us saved, and get us to conform to what they consider to be the truth. This is laudable, and I wish we Catholics were more willing to evangelize.

(3) Not everyone knows how to accomplish or attempt number 2 without being abrasive, annoying, and a pain in the neck. Know that those people, to be blunt, need to let Christianity sink in a bit deeper into their soul. Know also that such a person could be Protestant … or they could very well be Catholic. Lots of Catholics are jerks, very few are like me: holy, handsome, and humble.

(4) If you’re ever bothered by arguments folks like this bring up, do search out the main website here at Catholic Answers, and have a look at their many tracts (LINK).

My dear friend. May God grant you peace.

A-Cs are like that sometimes…often in fact.

I have faced similar stuff. One guy once told me that I was “too smart to fall for all this Catholic stuff”. I almost laughed in his face. :slight_smile:

I have found that the best response is simply facts and scripture, which tends to really rattle them because they expect us Catholics to be Biblically ignorant and blindly following the church. I have learned to remain prayerfully calm when dealing with such things. It’s not always easy.

Can you tell us what the discussion was about and we can talk about possible good responses?

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been treated this way. My usual back-step from this sort of confrontation is to just shrug and tell them I still love them. And that the Catholics I know think happy thoughts about their Christian brothers and sisters. So :shrug:

Pray for them and remember how the Apostles were treated too. Don’t take it to personally as they just do not understand why what they believe about the Catholic Church is not true. I try to turn my hurt into prayers and then leave it in God’s Hands. God Bless, Memaw

May sound far fetched but people like that are the ones who end up being evangelized by catechized Catholics. Just takes time and patience.

People don’t hate the Catholic Church, they hate the false perception of what they think the Catholic Church is.

Most protestants on this forum may not agree with us theologically, but at least they understand our position and are rational enough to admit it is valid Christianity, just not a branch of it they agree with. Because they do their homework.

I’m willing to bet those haters described in the OP don’t know jack about Catholicism, the Church fathers, Church councils, Church history or what the Church actually teaches. They probably think Paul was the president of the first Baptist church :rolleyes:

It was a bit scattershot - Catholicism isn’t Christianity, we aren’t saved by works but by Grace, anyone who is a Catholic and saved should come out of the church if they are truly saved. Both barrels, basically.Nothing of much substance. I just wasn’t expecting it, tbh. I said I believed that we are saved by Grace and that salvation wasn’t just a ticket to heaven. I think I acquitted myself ok, I just felt so dreadful afterwards.

Oh yeah…that tactic. Been there, done that, and there is no tee shirt for it.:frowning:

It’s always hard to deal with that scatter gun attack and we see it sometimes here on CAF. The OP will come in guns blazing and just unload a bunch of stuff like that. I have found that such people are neither interested in the truth nor in being a friend. Have a look at My Testimony .

Catholicism isn’t Christianity,

My answer would have been "Then in your opinion what is it? " then ruined their day with facts you can glean from these 2 blog posts of mine.
Who REALLY Preaches “A Different Gospel”?
What Was Authentic Early Christian Worship Really Like?

we aren’t saved by works but by Grace

As John Martignoni often says, tell them that you are happy to answer their problems with Catholic teaching , but that they need to be sure that what they object to is really Catholic teaching. as in this case, it is not.:rolleyes:

anyone who is a Catholic and saved should come out of the church if they are truly saved.

Another common a-C shipwreck. Take a look at these.
Refuting: “Is a Catholic Christian an Oxymoron?”
Refutation: Mike Gendron’s "Why Can’t Born Again …
Response to Hard Questions to Ask Good Catholics (By Mike Gendron)
Refuting anti-Catholic tract: “Rome vs The Bible” by Mike Gendron

Both barrels, basically.Nothing of much substance. I just wasn’t expecting it

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess that’s why St. Peter tells us "[13] Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is right?
[14] But even if you do suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled,
[15] but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;
[16] and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
[17] For it is better to suffer for doing right, if that should be God’s will, than for doing wrong." (1st Peter 3)

tbh. I said I believed that we are saved by Grace and that salvation wasn’t just a ticket to heaven. I think I acquitted myself ok, I just felt so dreadful afterwards.

I understand and you probably did very well especially since this individual wasn’t interested in anything that you offered. Try not to take it so hard, though I can sure understand a feeling of betrayal and lack of Christian charity from them.

Is this a supposed friend?:eek:

Don’t feel so dreadful JTTW

If God be for you, who can be against you?
Romans 8.31

There are misconceptions on both sides of the isle.
Catholics don’t believe salvation is by works but by faith.
James just says that faith without works is dead.
James 2:14-20

(in fact James causes a bit of a problem by stating that we are justified by works, but that’s another question).

Do they not believe James?

Try Jesus:
Mathew 7:16-23

If you feel you belong in the RCC, then that’s where you should be. The Holy Spirit guides us where He will. There’s no right or wrong - there’s only the Body of Christ of which any disciple of Christ is a member.

Also, remind your friends of:
Jonn 13:35

GG

Thank you for sharing your testimony.

I especially enjoyed this part:

I continued to study Catholic teaching and discovered that a great deal of what I had been taught about the Bible and Christianity was wrong. I found that non-Catholics ignore and “read around” Bible passages that support Catholic teaching and that they completely ignore the history of Christianity prior to the 1500s.

Sola Scriptura leads to Selective Scriptura unfortunately.

Hi GG,

I am new to this site and just sort of perusing around. Part of your statement above caught my attention.

Do you mind if I ask you what you meant by “there’s no right or wrong” above? Just curious.

Thanks.

I was at the mall today.

A fellow who I assume was a preacher was handing out fliers advertising his store front church and bible study.

Normally I would ignore him, but today I said, “I am supposed to say to you: John Six”.

He was shocked and at a loss for words.

Later I encountered his wife and a friend and I said the same thing to her.

When she recovered, she wished me a good day … and I wished her a BLESSED day!

As we were walking in opposite directions, our blessings back and forth got louder and louder!

Before we reached our car, I re-encountered the reverend and gave him an enthusiastic re-greeting.

It was quite a change from the dour norm!

GodsGrace154 #13
There’s no right or wrong - there’s only the Body of Christ of which any disciple of Christ is a member

That is NOT what Christ mandated. There is His right, and all else is wrong in some respect.

He specifically created His one and only Church led by St Peter and prayed “Holy Father keep in Thy Name those whom thou hast given Me, that they may be one even as We are.” [Jn 17:11]. “And for them I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. Yet not only for these only do I pray, but for those who through their word are to believe in Me, that all may be one, even as thou Father, in Me and I in Thee; that the world may believe that thou hast sent Me.” [Jn 17:19-21].

Thus:
**You are Peter and on this rock I will build MY Church." (Mt 16:18) **
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven." (Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) [Later, also to the Twelve]. [My emphasis]

Where else is His Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the seven sacraments, and the infallible teaching on faith and morals, except in, with and through the Catholic Church?

Jesus never said living in the secular world as a Christian, would be an easy or comfortable thing, in fact, its probably the exact opposite if we are truly doing what we are supposed to.

"people will hate you like they hated me"

He even went on to say many christians would be imprisoned, tortured and killed due to his name.

I wonder about this myself, as my life is fairly easy and comfortable…I wonder sometimes if maybe Im not as OK with God as I think I am.

Offering up your feelings to Jesus in prayer. Let him take the burden as he did on the cross. He can overcome all suffering. As for what actions to take, I always go back to what Jesus said about love. No matter how we are treated, we always treat others with love. So if you spoke to this person again, ask them why they are so angry about Catholicism. Maybe they had a bad experience. The root of their anger is the key to any possible transformation. Of course, many have hardened their hearts, choosing not to believe the truth. The only thing we can do is pray for them.

Since you say you are a former Protestant, I am guessing you are in process of converting.

1. educate yourself. This will help you feel sorrow for your attacjers ignorance instead of frustration by their attacks. I highly recommend reading “Born Fundamentalist Born again Catholic”

2. Pray. For strength and for them.

3. avoid. I used to engage engage engage. It got tiresome. I’d recommend having prepared knowledge through study for when you are attacked but don’t seek out arguments.

4. talk with your priest, RCIA DIRECTOR or other Catholic friends for support.

God Bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.