Dealing with anti-Catholicism and frustration

What does everyone here do when they witness something anti-Catholic, someone spreading lies about the faith etc. and there’s nothing they can really do about it?

For example, I just read a comment on a (pretty liberal) website, where the person misrepresented the Inquisition and was bashing the Church over it. Now, sometimes, I’ll try to respond to something like that, but from experience I know that on this website, any attempt to defend the Church will result in other people coming to attack it.

But it’s so frustrating to just not reply, even though I know it’s the smart thing to do! The same thing will happen on Twitter, for example - I’ll see people saying anti-Catholic things, and because they’re complete strangers (and often there’s more than one of them), I’ve just got to leave it and say nothing.

(And I know, I need to try not to read comments etc. but it’s hard to ignore them even when you know it’ll just make you angry)

Usually now, I’ll just try saying a prayer or two, and that sometimes helps, but what does everyone else recommend?

You know there was a Saint, I forget who, that would respond to attacks against the Church or questions and what not, but after he responded he refused to continue on with the debate. He basically said I said what was needed and I’m not getting sucked into a verbal confrontation.

I will typically respond but if it seems like I’m getting attacked or if no one is actually listening then I will not, for any reason, continue. Just say peace be with you and ignore it. People like that are not searching for the truth nor trying to get closer to God, they are trying to tear you down. Don’t waste your time with them, Jesus could tell them they are wrong, you could find every scriptural reference nothing will change their minds. It’s sad, but it’s a fact of life. Their hearts have been hardened against God.

Excellent post.

People have their agency. And if their choice is to shut their ears and eyes to the truth in favor of prejudice and blindness… I’m sorry, but you got to honor that choice. If they ever want or are willing to get their facts straight, you’ll be there then. But in the meantime it’s pointless when they refuse.

There I not much you can do. Ideally, you should defend the truth calmly, and then move away from the conversation unless they respond with more errors. Chances are you wont change their mind, but you may cause them to think about your argument. Don’t be aggressive as the aggressor usually loses a debate. Calmness and briefness is key.

That’s one reason that I stay on here at CAF. This is our internet home and the mods/admins won’t allow such trash talk. Most online interaction versus anti-Catholic propaganda is a useless waste of time because they aren’t listening and aren’t going to. That’s just the way it is brother.

But it’s so frustrating to just not reply, even though I know it’s the smart thing to do! The same thing will happen on Twitter, for example - I’ll see people saying anti-Catholic things, and because they’re complete strangers (and often there’s more than one of them), I’ve just got to leave it and say nothing.

(And I know, I need to try not to read comments etc. but it’s hard to ignore them even when you know it’ll just make you angry)

Best answer of all. Face it…if they wanted the truth about the Catholic Church they would be here asking us…not listening to their collection of a-C authors, teachers, and preachers, some of whom claim they used to be Catholic like this guy.

[LIST]
*] Response to Hard Questions to Ask Good Catholics (By Mike Gendron)
*] Refuting: “Is a Catholic Christian an Oxymoron?”
*] Mike Gendron doesn’t like me. (Glory be to God!!!)
*] Refuting Mike Gendron’s tract “Are You Being Deceived?”
*] Refuting anti-Catholic tract: “Rome vs The Bible” by Mike Gendron
*] What’s Wrong with What’s Wrong with Rome’s Sacrifice of the Mass?
*] Refutation: Mike Gendron’s "Why Can’t Born Again …
*] Refuting Mike Gendron’s ‘Another Jesus?”
*] Mike Gendron & GLC get a dose of counter evangelism (and don’t like it)
[/LIST]

Usually now, I’ll just try saying a prayer or two, and that sometimes helps, but what does everyone else recommend?

I can suggest that you join the Militia of the Immaculata with me and like all the M.I. you will be consecrated to be on the front lines of defensing the faith and spreading the gospel to the whole world.

Every single morning I ( and all of us M.I.) say this prayer.

Daily Renewal of Total Consecration

Immaculata, Queen and Mother of the Church, I renew my consecration to you this day and for always, so that you may use me for the coming of the Kingdom of Jesus in the whole world. To this end, I offer you all my prayers, actions, and sacrifices of this day.

Daily Miraculous Medal Prayer of St. Maximilian Kolbe
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to you, and for all those who do not have recourse to you, especially the enemies of Holy Church and all those recommended to you.
[FONT=Georgia][size=4]Notice please that because of our consecration to the Queen Mother of Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ we devote ourselves to the very things that Our Lord commanded of His Church, and as we work to do so we do it while interceding for even the enemies of the church.

I hope you join us. You have the right spirit. :slight_smile:
[/size][/FONT]

Sounds like St Paul :smiley:

He gave a heretic 2 tries, and if no success he moved on

Titus 3:10
“As for a man who is factious ( [FONT=&quot]αρετικν[/FONT] heretic ), after admonishing him once or twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is perverted and sinful; he is self-condemned.”

Hi!

…there are several things you could do…

1. Stay away from such sites.
  2. Become a Catholic apologist; this means that you must get to know your Faith (which includes Church Doctrine and History) and, in love and generosity, make your Stand.
  3. Get your relatives and friends involved–most of the nonsense that’s out there is due to ignorance and anti-Christian sentiments.

…but before you can do any of that you must be well informed and must be willing to take “the hit” even when you are fully cognizant of the Truth (Christ) and the attackers may be fully ignorant or just plain ruthlessly calloused hacks (hecklers, trolls).

…as for the Spanish Inquisition… not one respected historian supports what the anti-Catholic propaganda machines promoted (and still do); it is well known, from the Spanish Inquisition’s own records that the Church did not commit the atrocities for which she was blamed. It is also a very clear factor that thousands were murdered by Protestant-witch hunts (including here in the US) while non were put to death by the Catholic Church–heretics, including witches, were sought for conversions.

Those people that did become victims of the Inquisition were found guilty and executed by the state, not the Church. During those days heresy did not only mean an act against the Church’s Belief but also an act against the civil rulers whose authority were believed to be given to them by God (this is Biblical) and those that died were victims of political rivalries.

There’s an excellent book out (check Father Mitch Pacwa’s programs, EWTN Live and Threshold of Hope which are excellent sources for fighting the myths against the Church) titled “The Apostasy that Never Was.” There could well be others, check with EWTN’s web site.

[FONT=“Palatino Linotype”][size=]Merry Christmas!
Maran atha!

Angel
[/size][/FONT]

Prayers for the dead and the sign of the cross. It is believed the practice of prayers for the dead may date back to 200 AD.
(Heb 9:27 KJV) And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Veneration of angels and deceased saints began.
(Psa 29:2 KJV) Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

The daily mass was instituted.
(Heb 10:11-12 KJV) And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: {12} But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

The worship of Mary is instituted. The term “Mother of God” originated at the council of Ephesus and was bestowed upon Mary.
(1 Tim 2:5 KJV) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
(Isa 45:5 KJV) I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

The doctrine of Purgatory was adopted.
(Heb 9:27 KJV) And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
(2 Cor 5:8 KJV) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

The Latin language was imposed upon the mass by Gregory I.
(2 Cor 3:12 KJV) Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

Boniface III receives the title of “Universal Bishop” and thus became the first Pope.
(1 Pet 2:25 KJV) For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls. (Speaking of Christ)

Feasts commemorating the Virgin Mary began.

The kissing of the Pope’s foot began.

The temporal power of the Popes began. This was the belief that the Popes were allowed to own vast areas of land which were untouchable by anyone else. This practice was never refuted because it is based upon the document known as the “Donation of Constantine.” He believed that he was healed by the miraculous powers emanating from the Bishop of Rome. He then rewarded the Pope with gifts of land. This practice was continued without hesitation.
(Psa 24:1 KJV) A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD’S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.

The worship of relics and images established.
(Exo 20:4-5 KJV) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: {5} Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

The Decretals of Isidore were used by the Pope to claim supremacy within the church. These decretals are closely associated with the Donation of Constantine in matter of principle. They both increased the power and wealth of the Popes.
(Luke 22:24-26 KJV) And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest. {25} And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. {26} But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

Holy water introduced which was a mixture of water and a small amount of salt. It was blessed by the priest.
(Jer 2:13 KJV) For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

The veneration of St. Joseph began.
(Rev 19:10 KJV) And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

The baptism of the bells was introduced. The baptism of bells was accomplished in the following manner. The bells were first washed with holy water and then they were anointed on both the inside and the outside with holy oil. Then prayer is said over the bells, the essence of the prayer is this, every time the bells ring the evil spirits would be driven away and God’s people will come to prayer.
(Mark 1:27 KJV) And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

Canonization of dead saints introduced.
(Psa 30:4 KJV) Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
This psalm was written about 1300 years before the Roman Catholic system came into being. God calls His true believers saints and does not recognize human canonization of anyone.

Fasting on Friday and during Lent was introduced.
(1 Tim 4:3 KJV) Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Feasts for the dead initiated.
(Col 1:18 KJV) And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Celibacy of the priesthood declared. It was the greatest mass divorce in the history of priests which were married.
(1 Tim 4:3 KJV) Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

As we continue on our chronology, are you beginning to see how religiously deceived these poor people are?

The doctrine of the infallibility of the Roman Catholic Church was declared.
(Rom 3:23 KJV) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

ect ect

Uh…Well, this is ironic.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies so far! I guess you’re right, even St Paul makes it clear that you’re meant to pick your battles. (As such, I can see the fellow above is pretty much a lost cause :smiley: )

Complete bunk and lies. I have an great article on my blog that refutes this You’ve been deceived by Loraine Boettner’s propaganda book “Romanism”. The “Boettner List”: Fact or Fiction?

Just wanted to add my input to this. I’ve heard plenty of fabrications about the Catholic Church, and even had a school friend a while ago try to convince me that Catholics are not even Christian, and had absolutely no part in forming what Christianity is today (my jaw dropped at the last part). I asked her what the source of all of this information was, and she replied that this is what her weekly youth group discussions sometimes bring up.

Anyhow, I calmly told her that this information was untrue, to which she claimed that I “didn’t know what I was talking about.” I asked her for just one example of why she believed that the Catholic Church wasn’t Christian, and received no response. Conversation ended, and we never spoke about our faiths to each other again.

The point of my post is that, yes, anti-Catholicism is sometimes prominent, and I was surprised that so many of my past school peers leaned towards what this girl had told me. It’s important to note, however, that many people are usually fed all of these misconceptions by others, and in the end have absolutely no information that they can use to possibly form a coherent argument. I don’t recommend trying to debate anyone not willing to listen, because it’s literally a waste of time. I used to feel a bit angry at them, but I don’t anymore. Now all I feel is pity. Pity that they will never be able to see the Roman Catholic Church for what it truly is, and what our Father has gifted us through it. :slight_smile:

Hi!

…sadly, in this case, ignorance is not bliss!

…too many times such ideologies are passed down from generation to generation–it’s like the final frontier of racism and elitism combined (it generally breads self-importance and ignorance).

…who could have known that Luther’s revolt would have such damning and lasting consequences?

…but we must not stop at pitying these folks… we must also engage them, in love and patience, and pray for them–that they may allow the Holy Spirit to convict of the Truth!

Maran atha!

Angel

If I were you I would focus less on those outside the Catholic church and deal with the misinformation that is RAMPANT from within the church. Parishoners who claim to be Catholic are spreading lies also!. My mother in law told me that living together before marriage and Artificial birth control are accepted.

Just Saying.

I recommend first of all:
keep in mind the calumny and rejection our Master endured before us, and still the faith endured and continues to endure. The nonsense that frustrates us will amount to nothing in the end.

Thinking of the silent Christ tends to put any frustration I have in perspective.

Sounds like this forum tbh.

If I come across these sites with misrepresentations I always leave a post, knowing fair well that it will be a waste of time. But is it???

I approach those sites not with the attitude that I am going to perform a miracle and stop the anti-C bias. I am their to shine the one ray of hope for the uninformed Catholic that might just stumble across those sites. Very rarely do I get into a debate of more than 2 or 3 posts. I like to point to one topic of their post and show the error of their accusations. Quite often what ever remark they are making is not only denounced by Catholic scholars but often not even believed by Protestant scholars. Just don’t fall into their trap of trying to respond to accusation after accusation. One other direction I like to go is to ask them questions from an “I don’t understand” point of view. Make them explain why you should believe their interpretation, especially when you were just on another web site they gives a completely different interpretation.

Either way, like someone else said, the only chance of their minds being open is by the power of the Holy Spirit. Our job is to put the Truth out their for those willing to listen to it.

God Bless

MT1926: I have to agree with you 100% on your post! I to think this is the way t go as otherwise its like talking to a brick wall with these people… One hopes that at some point someone will read what you had posted in one of those sites and start to think wait a minute maybe there is something here I did not know and maybe I need to think about it since for one thing the poster did not use any hatred in the post but only said what is believed to be true.

I to will from tie to time respond to a post in order to show the truth of something and then allow others to decide. Getting into arguments with those who are not interested on whatever is said by a Catholic posted does not good since all they are interested in is saying whatever lie using hatred to try and get their personal point across because in the end its never about the truth but to show hatred towards Catholic's and what Catholic's believe and what the Catholic Church teaches. One can always pray for them that maybe one day God will shine His light of truth on them and they come to realize that what they have been doing is and was wrong and that the truth the Catholic CHurch teaches is indeed the truth!

You make a great point here. 90% of the time the hatred comes from what the person believes the Catholic Church teaches. So the best course of action is to present the TRUE teaching of the Church and not argue the details.

I remember a debate once with Fr. Mitch Pacwa. Father said “first you need to understand what you are arguing.” He said “You are giving me a definition of “Infallibility” that is contrary to how the Church teaches “Infallibility” and complaining when I can’t defend your interpretation.” It was classic. :thumbsup:

MT 1926: Thanks for your response! The main problem I think seems to me to be one of ignorance of what the Catholic Church teaches. This is due in part to how they were brought up in whatever church they belong to, where the preacher or minister preaches hatred towards anyone and especially the Catholic Church bases primarily on whatever they think or heard without really ever looking to see if it is true or not. Also I see so many times those who promote hatred use whatever verses they think proves their point, yet never really understand the story and the point that was being made by the authors of the Biblical stories they took the verse from.They in turn decide that whatever meaning they wish to apply based on their own private interpretations decide what they say is the only correct meaning and any other meaning is wrong especially if it comes from the Catholic Church or Catholic poster…

I sometimes wonder if what the Catholic poster or the Catholic Church teaching was presented by some non-Catholic if they would agree with the post or not? Also I sometimes wonder if the Catholic hater posting anti Catholic posts really hate or just trying to cause confusion and hate to see what posters are going to say? IDK if that is even true but more a thought on my part when i read many of the posts by anti Catholic posters. I wonder if you other might shed some light on that  if possible.

I also think the Catholic poster on any of the anti Catholic sites decides to post that it is well thought out and to the point without spewing any hate as to be drawn into the hate cycle does nothing to promote the truth. Also the Catholic poster on those sites need to remember there are many who do not post anything but read what is posted and so thereby might decide that what the catholic poster posted  is worth looking into and may help that person to come to the Catholic Church.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.