Dealing with pride

“My son, perform your tasks in meekness; then you will be loved by those whom God accepts. The greater you are, the more you must humble yourself; so you will find favor in the sight of the Lord.” (Sirach 3:17-18)

I love scripture and so I like to read more and more. But sometimes I get these feelings of pride, “Wow, I know so much more of the Bible than some of my friends…” How do you tackle these kind of thoughts?

"That servant who knows his master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. "
NIV Luke 12:47-48

If you know more of the Bible, is it because of you or rather because the Holy Spirit has inspired you?

If you have been entrusted with greater knowledge of Scripture than your neighbour, more will be asked of you as a result of your knowledge.

I always find this thought to be a big bucket of cold water on my burgeoning pride.

You must not think of the flesh but the spirit.
How much do you know compared with God?
Nothing!

The Lord has blessed me with many gifts however I ask God one thing and that is that He be blessed by giving me the job that glorifies Him. With my two degree He gave me a job with a person who swears spits smokes etc etc… The first job given me in the morning is to collect the rubbish and then do what this person tells me to do.

Humbling very and at times in front of people I would rather not see what I do… That is pride.

I have prayed for this person for the 6 months I have worked with him,and now he has almost stopped swearing seems happier, and speaks at times about the Lord seems he was a catholic.

Your saying you have pride then look not at self but think how little you know compared to the writers of the bible. Ask your friends what they think a certain paragraph means rather than have the answer. Let God be blessed and you will be blessed.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.