Dear Faithful people

I have a question. I haven't been to confession in about 10 years (SHOCKING I know). :O

Does confession really heal the soul from within? I mean, let's say you, Bros. and Sis., go to confession, and come out, do you then feel a great relieve that your sins are forgiven? Do you also feel less burden to pray to god? The reason why I am asking this, is because if confession trully renews the soul (from the deepest depths) then I shall attend regular confessions as well. I would like sincere opinions of how effective confessions are, and to what extent. :) Thank you in advance! May God bless every single soul on earth!

[quote="mindnight, post:1, topic:334073"]
i have a question. I haven't been to confession in about 10 years (shocking i know). :o

does confession really heal the soul from within? I mean, let's say you, bros. And sis., go to confession, and come out,** do you then feel a great relieve that your sins are forgiven?** do you also feel less burden to pray to god? The reason why i am asking this, is because if confession trully renews the soul (from the deepest depths) then i shall attend regular confessions as well. I would like sincere opinions of how effective confessions are, and to what extent. :) thank you in advance! May god bless every single soul on earth!

[/quote]

Absolutely.

And, for those who don't "feel" anything.......faith in the Lord tells you that you are forgiven!

When the priest says the words of absolution, that is Jesus speaking to you! Peace.....

When the priest says the words of absolution, that is Jesus speaking to you!

Ah ok, so it is not possible for a priest to give a fallible absolution? So that means, if a priest actually says these words, these are supposed to be infallible every single time the priest says that?

[quote="MindNight, post:1, topic:334073"]
I have a question. I haven't been to confession in about 10 years (SHOCKING I know). :O

[/quote]

Sadly - not all that unusual thought...

Does confession really heal the soul from within?

Yes

I mean, let's say you, Bros. and Sis., go to confession, and come out, do you then feel a great relieve that your sins are forgiven?

Absolutely.

Do you also feel less burden to pray to god?

Well I've never felt that praying to God was a burden ....
But upon leaving confession I feel an even greater desire to pray to God, mstly in thanksgiving.

The reason why I am asking this, is because if confession truly renews the soul (from the deepest depths) then I shall attend regular confessions as well. I would like sincere opinions of how effective confessions are, and to what extent. :) Thank you in advance! May God bless every single soul on earth!

The sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) is not like a pill that one takes to cure some ill...and acts independently of the person's behavior. Rather, it is an interaction between the penitent and God. The efficacy of confession starts with true repentance of sin and the desire to reform and to grow in holiness. The act of confessing and receiving absolution (along with guidance and a simple penance) is first a glorious act of humility and through this enhances and solidifies one's contrition - and also conveys great graces that builds one up in holiness.

The above is how I have found the Sacrament to be for me...

Peace
James

I agree. I always feel very relieved and peaceful after reconcilliation.

[quote="MindNight, post:4, topic:334073"]
Ah ok, so it is not possible for a priest to give a fallible absolution? So that means, if a priest actually says these words, these are supposed to be infallible every single time the priest says that?

[/quote]

Each time that the priest give absolution - you are forgiven for every sin for which you are truly contrite.

Peace
James

Does confession really heal the soul from within? I mean, let's say you, Bros. and Sis., go to confession, and come out, do you then feel a great relieve that your sins are forgiven? Do you also feel less burden to pray to god? The reason why I am asking this, is because if confession trully renews the soul (from the deepest depths) then I shall attend regular confessions as well. I would like sincere opinions of how effective confessions are, and to what extent. :) Thank you in advance! May God bless every single soul on earth!

[/quote]

The feeling I walk out of the confessional is the peace that comes with the graces of the sacrament. The feeling of relief comes long before the sacrament, because as soon as I acknowledge my sin to God with a contrite spirit and humble heart, He has forgiven me before I even sit down with my confessor to receive the sacrament.

Sad to say, but it has been way longer than that for me. And, I really want to go to confession! But, I am not allowed to receive any sacraments until I am granted annulment. My husband and I have been previously married and did not have prior marriage annulled. My faith was not strong at all at that time.

I do feel such a sense of peace during Eucharistic adoration. Although I may not receive any graces, it still feels great to sit in front of Blessed Sacrament and express my sincere contrition. I pray that things move along for my annulment.

That is the one thing that I did not like about our religion was the confession part. However, I realize how important it is now.

I used to rarely pray. I was too busy. Too lazy. And, I never made God a priority. And, I did not agree with the teachings of our faith. I strayed away. Now, I build my schedule around my mass. And, if I am tired and don't feel like going, I remember that Jesus was tired, too.

I am sorry, perhaps a little hijack here. But, I can't wait for the day that I get to receive the sacrament of Confession.

You need to pray to God about all the sins you wish to be forgiven of, and ask for true contrition. You need to pray to feel sorry for the sins, and not just "oh I'm sorry whatever." You want to see how sinning disrupts the innate goodness that God created you for.

Every time the priest absolves you, if you are truly sorry, your sins are forgiven. Also, if you forget a sin by accident, you are still forgiven, but that is no excuse to not thoroughly prepare yourself for confession.

Spend about an hour or so reminding yourself of all your sins over the past 10 years, and perhaps buy a guide to confession to make a good examination of conscious. You will almost certainly feel a lightness after confession since you have not gone in so long, and God will help you since you have been so far removed. I think people who go often don't feel so uplifted because they spend far more of their lives avoiding Sin and when they do fall into Sin, they know they have confession to heal them, so they live much more in a state of Grace.

[/quote]

I went back to confession after 6 years away from the Church back just before Easter, and I can't tell you how much of a relief it was. I felt lighter, warmer, and happier.

[/quote]

If the person who made the confession was lying or holding anything back, the Lord is not deceived. It is a rare priest who has the gift to read hearts.

Those who make a sincere confession to the best of their ability receive the forgiveness of their sins.

Confession also fills your soul with God's grace which empowers you to be a better person, and make good choices! Now it's like trying to drive down the road with your windshield soooo muddy you can't see! Confession will clean off that windshield so you can see where you need to go, & avoid obstacles. :)

Jesus gave us confession to get us to Heaven!

[/quote]

Please do not take my example as true for you. God works differently in every individual, because He alone knows what we personally, not generically, need. Apparently in my case, what I need most is not "to feel less burdened" but to feel my sins even more acutely (after I confess them). I am "in touch" more with my offenses, my unworthiness, and my great dependency on Him for everything, but especially for mercy.

But "the reason to attend" is not the feelings (whether of relief in the case of others, or remorse in my own case), but the effects. When I attend, I am given graces to be aware of those sins (and others) and to avoid them with divine help. Practical benefits. The "feelings" do feed into the practicality, since God works within our psyches and emotions, but yes, a well-prepared-for Confession (especially accompanied by lots of prayer ahead of time) is very effective indeed.
:)

[/quote]

Absolution is valid provided your Confession is one of genuine contrition and you have not deliberately withheld any mortal sin.

[/quote]

People have different feelings all the time. Our faith is not based on feelings (whew!). Relief and other "nice" feelings are, well, nice to have, but that's not why we participate in the sacraments.

As for me, I need the sacrament. I sin less because of it. Jesus' healing and forgiveness helps keep me holier and more at peace that I would be without the confession.

You can read sections 1468-1470 of the Catechism about the effects of the sacrament:
scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm

[/quote]

Absolutely, it feels great. One of the great feelings I know. I go very often. It strengthens you as well! Where I go at St. Alphonsus Shrine, they have Eucharistic Adoration Mon. through Sat. It's a great feeling indeed to visit Our Lord before and after a good confession. Nothing quite like it!

Peace, Mark

If you go to confession for your first time in a decade and don't feel relief washing over you, don't get too hung up on that. Feelings are fleeting but God's mercy is infinite. Sometimes I feel like I made an especially good confession but the next day, I feel even worse than I did before I confessed! If that happens to you, see those negative feelings as a temptation to make you doubt God's mercy, and keep praying!

If it's been a while since my last confession and I make an effort to go more frequently, I find that it is much easier for me to examine my conscience and realize my sins. If you confess and suddenly discover other sins, and start thinking you're a terrible person, again, see it as a temptation.

Often we will be granted with this AMAZING feeling of relief after confession. My husband goes to confession and comes out practically glowing! I go to confession and come out snotty and teary-eyed. It's not quite as pretty. ;) But no matter how I FEEL when I confess I can have faith that God has forgiven me.

I came back to confession after a long time away and I find when I make good confessions, I feel lighter, and happier, as others on here have said. Since I was away from the sacrament for many years (I can't remember the exact number now), I confess sins that I remember as I go, and I explain to the priest that it is not something I have committed recently but something I have recently remembered (I have heard that we are forgiven for the sins we have forgotten, but it is good to confess them if we remember).

I now go to confession on the first Saturday of every month as part of the First Saturday devotion to Mother Mary. Within this devotion lies the most perfect sensation of healing I have ever felt, which is when I confess and then receive the Eucharist in the hour following my confession.

I also find that with confessing regularly, I am more aware of the near occasion of sin than I previously was, and so am more able now, with the help of God, to avoid some sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.