Dear friends in Christ; share your opinion please

Dear friends in Christ,

Either Subjectively or Objectively, please share what is your favorite bible teaching and WHY it has significance to you.

God Bless you,
Patrick

“Do this in remembrance of me.”

The significance being this is why we celebrate each Mass.

This is a good question for a thread. I look forward to reading what other posters share.

Romans 1:20 and 2:14-15

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.

Why? Because it reminds me that my connection with God is based on something more fundamental than law, doctrine, or belief. It is based on the reality of God’s nature and the reality of the nature God intends for me. Further, I can trust God in this and in more than this, because it is without doubt that “God exists.” God’s qualities are seen in the creation. When we discover how to connect the dots - creation:God - and I do mean through science and logic - then God is real for us, and no one, sadly, has a legitimate excuse for denying God, neither the existence of God nor his role as Creator. And I, happily, don’t have to worry and wonder whether there even is a God, or what he is like, since science and logic offer a compelling, sufficiently clear picture. That is why the teaching that nature reflects God’s qualities and that I can by my God-given nature be a law for myself in both heart and conscience, is significant to me.

That is a hard question as the Bible is the word of God and there is always something new or suddenly something strikes you in a new way.

More recently it was the phrase that Enoch lived along time and then walked with God (everyone else simply died) and a later bit which said that Nehemiah (I may have it wrong) walked with God turning neither to the right or the left. It is the phrase “walking with God and turning neither to the right or the left” that has stayed with me to the extent that I now pray that daily for our priests and religious and pray that I walk with Him.

Prodigal Son because I am one.

"For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?..

Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence." - 1 Corinthians 1:18-29

This teaching shows that this is not about and what we do, it is about the Divine Will.

Luke 10:38-42
Jesus entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.”
The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”

This was the reading I chose for the Mass when I was received as a layperson into the Carmelite Order. It reminds me of my call to be at prayer always, to sit at his feet listening for his word.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Psa 37:8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil
Psa 37:1 Do not fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong;
Pro 24:19 Do not fret because of evildoers or be envious of the wicked,
Pro 24:20 for the evildoer has no future hope, and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out.

Rom 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Self-explanatory really, but ofttimes it wearies and irritates me to live amongst spiritual dotards who persist in their rebellions against God. However I take comfort from the fact that I am not expected to resolve the issue.

=Avila123;12044542]That is a hard question as the Bible is the word of God and there is always something new or suddenly something strikes you in a new way.

More recently it was the phrase that Enoch lived along time and then walked with God (everyone else simply died) and a later bit which said that Nehemiah (I may have it wrong) walked with God turning neither to the right or the left. It is the phrase “walking with God and turning neither to the right or the left” that has stayed with me to the extent that I now pray that daily for our priests and religious and pray that I walk with Him.

Thank you:)

As a FYI: “walking with God for Enoch” means that he was assumed body and soul into Paridise.:slight_smile:

=House Harkonnen;12044693]Prodigal Son because I am one.

So MY Friend, what are YOU going to do about it.

Because “we can” has NEVER meant that “we should”:o

God Bless you,
Patrick

=Matthew Light;12044831]"For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?..

Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence." - 1 Corinthians 1:18-29

This teaching shows that this is not about and what we do, it is about the Divine Will.

Ahhh, :slight_smile:

BUT does it really?

Are you aware friend of the “One Infallible Rule for right understanding of the Bible” Allow me to share it with you. [caps are used for emphasis, NOT shouting here]

***Never-Ever Can, May or DOES
One Verse, passage or teaching
Have the Power or Authority
To Make Void; invalidate or override
Another Verse, passage or teaching

Were this even the slightest possibility [ITS NOT], it would render the bible as worthless to teach or learn ones faith***.

Heb.6: 10 “For God is not so unjust as to overlook your work and the love which you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do.”

Rev.2: 23 “and I will strike her children dead. And all the churches shall know that I am he who searches mind and heart, and I will give to each of you as your works deserve.”

1 Peter 1: 17 “Now if you invoke as Father him who judges impartially according to each one’s works, conduct yourselves with reverence during the time of your sojourning, “

“ Matt.19: 17 “And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”

Rom.2: 13 “For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified.”

John 3:5 “Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” :shrug:

God Bless you!
Patrick

=Mary_Ellen;12044905]Luke 10:38-42
Jesus entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.”
The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”

This was the reading I chose for the Mass when I was received as a layperson into the Carmelite Order. It reminds me of my call to be at prayer always, to sit at his feet listening for his word.

That dear friend, is a WOW!:thumbsup:

=charlesby;12048122]Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Psa 37:8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil
Psa 37:1 Do not fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong;
Pro 24:19 Do not fret because of evildoers or be envious of the wicked,
Pro 24:20 for the evildoer has no future hope, and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out.

Rom 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Self-explanatory really, but ofttimes it wearies and irritates me to live amongst spiritual dotards who persist in their rebellions against God. However I take comfort from the fact that I am not expected to resolve the issue.

Thank you,

Here’s a thought for YOU in this reguard:

Prayerfully ask yourself: [as we all ought to do]

WHY ME?
WHY NOW?
WHY HERE?

Does God truly have no expectations of us:shrug:

God Bless you,
Patrick

John 5:39 You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

It reminds me that the goal is Jesus and to not get lost in books.

[BIBLEDRB]Phil 4:19[/BIBLEDRB]

Because I remember my mother always quote that when times got tough.

The Magnificat - Luke 1:46-55

The reason I find it one of my favorite bible verses is because the old-Adam in my doesn’t like it one bit. If I start looking inward into myself, I remind myself of God with it.

“My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
He has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants forever.”

The older I get, the further along the road I walk with God, the more I see that “my life” is not about me but about God - that is about Reality, Truth, Beauty and Love. That is: spiritual principles, not my flawed and limited personality.

One line right after that same passage that I did not quote, but which sums it up perfectly in my mind is:

“That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.” 1 Cor 1:31

That is the foundation of wisdom. That our ego-self is not the source of what is good, right, and beautiful. Instead those things come from the True One, that is: God. When our self-centered nature tries to take credit for our positive decisions, this is hubris and is one of the greatest of all errors.

"And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. " - Galatians 2:20

As long as I remember that I am to serve love, compassion, truth and beauty, and not my own swollen ego, things unfold beautifully. When I lose sight of that, the stench of arrogance begins to permeate my actions, and I can do no good in this world. That is why I love 1 Corinthians 1 so much - a perfect reminder of Who is to be the center of my life!

=Isaiah45_9;12048320]John 5:39 You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

It reminds me that the goal is Jesus and to not get lost in books.

I LOVE the Book of Isaiah!

What do you mean here? That the bible is not necessary?

God Bless you,
Patrick

=cath4alltime;12048381][BIBLEDRB]Phil 4:19[/BIBLEDRB]

Because I remember my mother always quote that when times got tough.

Thank you, I like your choice too:)

The golden rule. Matthew 7:12. Luke 6:31

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.