Dear Pope Francis, End the Religious Ritual that Devalues Human Life

huffingtonpost.com/entry/dear-pope-francis-end-the-religious-ritual-that-devalues_us_5787c4e4e4b0e7c8734f96f9

Christine Horner a self proclaimed, “healed ex-Catholic” who claims her religion is love, has posted the above titled article in the Huffing-ton Post. I am having difficulty expressing how wrong I feel her position/attack on this issue is and was hoping someone would share with this group a rebuttal to her assumptions.

I think this passage is relevant. She is similar to the Pharisee in that she sees her self as “saved” perhaps and not in need of forgiveness. That sounds like self righteousness to me.

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.”

I saw this and at first I thought it was news. It is not. It is just someone who wants to tell Catholics what to believe.

Said in Mass: “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my *soul *shall be healed.”

From the Bible: “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my *servant *shall be healed.”

I thought one reason this phrase was significant was because the Centurion, a Gentile, was being sensitive to Jesus’ Jewishness. For a Jew to enter a Gentile home would make the Jew ritually unclean. Often, when clean and unclean come into contact, the clean suffers. But the point here is that Jesus isn’t made unclean by entering the Gentile’s home, but that He makes unclean things clean. This is a tremendous statement of faith by the centurion.

The claim is that this prayer crystalizes our inequality, and that admission of our guilt, as a saved person, perpetuates inferiority complexes and makes us judgmental. While I would be the first to agree that we are beyond priceless in God’s eyes, as opposed to the depressed view of humanity that we are just dung, I think it goes too far. Preferentially, I suppose I would rather have the person sitting next to me think they are a sinner unworthy of Jesus, than someone who doesn’t need to admit that.

Even though psychological issues can contribute to the feelings of inadequacy the author is talking about, I have found that Confession goes a long way towards the healing she calls for.

Faith Palm

The only words I can muster would probably get me another strike against my account, so I’ll just pray for her…

Seriously though… some people…

She’s no liturgist. (or Catholic)

There is a reason what Catholic liturgy is Catholic. The world does not appreciate the value of humility and has elevated pride to a virtue.

Yeah, her view point is hard to swallow.

So, I will join you in praying that God bless her abundantly.

That was probably the dumbest article I’ve ever read.

This lady is quite wrong about “only say the word”.
She asserts that Jesus did not “say the word”. But that’s a complete denial of the fact that Jesus most certainly DID respond to this centurion. And DID grant the healing.

“I have not found such great faith even in Israel!”

^THIS^ is the answer given when a person humbly acknowledges God’s Greatness.

See also the Prodigal son stating the bleeding obvious to the father that he isn’t worthy.

Can you imagine the type of world we would live in if we ourselves decided our own worth?
Millions dying of starvation. Billions spent looking for water on Mars while humans are forced to drink sewage. Thousands of unborn (live) babies destroyed every week because they aren’t ‘worthy’.

Cute!

She indeed needs prayers.

Yup.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.