Death in the family

My dad just died. He was a 22 year Air Force veteran who served in Vietnam. He died from complications to esophageal cancer, emphasema, and congestive heart failure. He will be buried at Arlington National Cemetary. Would you please offer any words for comfort? Scripture?

I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know if you have been at Arlington, but it is both a profoundly peaceful and yet an awe-inspiring setting, and a fitting company for one or our veterans to be laid to rest.

Some of the best verses I know for comfort when someone has died are in the Office for the Dead from the Liturgy of the Hours
theologyguy.net/office_for_dead.aspx

and the readings for the Liturgy of the Word for a Mass for the Dead.
domcentral.org/preach/funerals/

I particularly like the second web address, because it will give you excerpts that will help you recognize the verses that speak to you the most. As much as I would like to speak comfort to you, I know the Holy Spirit gives the most excellent comfort, particularly over someone whom the Spirit cannot use in person.

God bless you, and may your dear dad rest in peace.

Eternal rest grant to him, oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.

To the op, I am sorry for your loss. I have no great words to comfort you on the death of your father, but I am grateful to him and your family for his service to our country. Prayers for all of you.

When my dad died, I just wanted to get past all the sad emotions and feel better. A wise friend reminded me it doesn’t work that way. You have to slog through all the emotions first. I had an image of being on one side of a river (the sadness), but I wanted to get to the other side (feeling better). The emotions were all the slimy mud and rocks I had to cross to get to the other side.

Praise God for your father’s service to our country.

My condolences on the passing of your father, and my heartfelt gratitude to him for a lifetime of service to our nation.

I’m very sorry to hear of your loss. You, your father and your family are in my prayers.

Contact the Maryknoll Fathers and inquire as to a Gregorian Mass offering.

I will keep you and the soul of your beloved father in my evening prayers tonight.
May Thy Heart dwell always in our hearts!
May Thy Blood ever flow in the veins of our souls!
O sun of our hearts, Thou givest life to all things by the rays of Thy goodness!
I will not go until Thy Heart has strengthened me, O Lord Jesus!
May the Heart of Jesus be the King of my heart!
Blessed be God. Amen.:crossrc:

**“Never worry about anything. Instead, in every situation let your petitions be made known to God through prayers and requests, with thanksgiving.” Philippians 4:6–International Standard Version

But as it is written, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined the things that God has prepared for those who love him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9

“I will love You, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” Psalm 18:1-2**

I’m sorry to hear about your dad. What an honor for him to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery. I live about an hour from there and have visited before. EasterJoy sums up the ambiance of Arlington very nicely.

I am eternally grateful for your father’s service to our country.

Thank you all so much. I’m still so heartbroken. I know I should be happy that my dad is with God now and isn’t in pain, but the selfish part of me wants him here still. I’m meeting with the funeral director today, so please pray for me and my family. God bless you all.

[quote="petesgottheseat, post:10, topic:199925"]
Thank you all so much. I'm still so heartbroken. I know I should be happy that my dad is with God now and isn't in pain, but the selfish part of me wants him here still. I'm meeting with the funeral director today, so please pray for me and my family. God bless you all.

[/quote]

It is not selfish to mourn the loss of your father. You love him. It is no sin to miss him and feel his absence deeply. It would be no sin to feel nothing. We each grieve differently, and our grieving is in no way unfaithful to God. Don't feel any shame or guilt about your grief or how you feel it. Share it with the Lord, and allow Him to be with you through it.

May God bless you and your family and grant you His peace.

I just recently noticed that laws have changed. “Changes to the laws and regulations in the last few years mean that even if a Veteran or the Widow of a Veteran didn’t qualify before, they may be entitled to benefits and/or health care now.*Call 1-800-562-2308 for more information.” This applies to anyone who was in Vietnam for even one day, and has health issues, and to their widows.

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.