Death of an ex-spouse

My H and I are separated after more than 30 years of marriage. It's a sad story I've posted elsewhere here. I've seen my H a few times since separating, andhe wants to move on.He says I betrayed him by leaving (left due to years of emotional abuse, verbal abuse and neglect).

Although we're not old old we are "older", and one of the sorrows I'm dealing with is the fact that we won't be there for one another at death. How do I handle it if something happens to my H in a few years or many years hence? Will God still hear my prayers for him?
WHat if he is alone (we have no kids) and there is no one there?

Same for me.

This is one thing I think about constantly and causes me so much sorrow and grief. Please don't mention counselling - he's been refusing that for years.

I’m so sorry about your separation and the turmoil it’s caused.

Outside of prayer, the only other move you can make to assuage your sorrow and anxiety over the loss of your 30-year marriage is, in my opinion, counseling. You said he refuses to go, but there is nothing to stop you from going alone. A competent therapist would be an excellent resource to help you process your feelings and concerns about you and your husband (“How do I handle it if something happens to my H in a few years or many years hence? Will God still hear my prayers for him? What if he is alone (we have no kids) and there is no one there? Same for me.”) in a healthy and productive way.

Best of luck, and I’ll keep you in my prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.