Death of jesus

Who do you think is responsible for the death of Jesus?

The Jewish nation themselves (The crowd who freed Barabbas)

the Jewish authorities, (Pharisees etc)

Pilate, who actually sentenced him to be crucified

or do you think he had to die to simply fulfill the prophecy predicted in the OT?

Thankyou in advance :):):stuck_out_tongue:

Everyone. Absolutely everyone.

Yep, each and every one of us is responsible.

Peace

Tim

Why are we responsible?

Aren’t you forgetting someone?–Jesus himself.
Had he not gone to the temple that day and caused a ruckus during passover–the *worst *time for him to do this–and overturned the tables when people were changing money to buy their animals for the religious rituals, he may have stayed under the radar enough to not rile up the authorities.
Then, during his trial he could have said words to save his own life it seems, but he did not.
His illegal actions and words–combined with a bunch of other things–had a snowball effect.
But basically, he made those decisions himself.

And if he actually believed he had to die to fulfill a prophecy, then he was well aware that what he was doing would get him killed, and he was doing it on purpose, to make it happen.

All the others on the list were just doing their usual thing.

He is responsible for his own death. Or, of course, God is.
If it was all planned out by God for a reason and there was no way to change it, then God is responsible.

But you have neither on your list!
Why not?

You know, I thank you for your answer. I have never thought about it like that

Thankyou for an alternative view! :D:D:D:D:D

Obedient unto death. Our Lord died for us (so our sins are ultimately responsible for His death), but he chose this type of death to show His love. I don’t think turning over a few tables caused him to be scourged 40+ times, crowned with thorns, nailed to a cross, mocked, abandoned by his friends, hanging on a cross in the sun for 3 hours until every last drop of his blood was shed.

The Jews have some culpability due to their self proclaimed “let his blood be on us and our children”, and of course Pilate has some as well. But Our Lord chose this Himself. The others played their part, and have to answer to God for that.

Isaiah 58:

4 Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his wounds we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned—every one—to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

:thumbsup:

I find it difficult to understand how a person born 2000 years later is responsible for Jesus’ death. Jesus rose from the dead, he freed us from sin, yet we are still to feel guilty for crucify Jesus.
I feel ashamed that this happened to Jesus.
On Good Friday I never have liked joining in as part of the crowd who calls for Jesus to be crucified, back then if I was the person I am now I would be protesting about it.

While not discounting the “all of us” type of answers, my reply to the OP is “Adam and Eve”.
If Adam and Eve had not sinned in the first place then Jesus would not have had to come and die in order to correct the situation.

Of course that assumes that all who came after Adam and Eve did not sin either…:hmmm:…hhmmmm…

Peace
James

Jesus died for the sins of everyone past, present and future .
There are pains in His passion that He suffered specifically for the sins of each individual.
Isaiah the Prophet wrote, ‘He was wounded for our transgressions.’
The high priest said that year, ‘Do you not think it is expedient that one man should die for the sake of the people?’ the Holy Spirit saying in that that Jesus would die for the sins of ALL people.

But yes, Judas, the high priests, Pilate, the Romans, they did cooperate, but it was for the sins of the world that Jesus died.

Because God is eternal and outside of time, He chose to step in at the appointed time, because He wanted to send us His Holy Spirit, give us the Sacraments of Mass, Eucharist, Confession, Last Rites, Priests, Deacons, -He wanted to bring all the unbelievers into the sheepfold, not just the Jews. Because He has already paid our price, we can go to confession to seek His forgiveness whenever we sin, through a priest He has given His authority too, through the laying on of hands dating back to the time of the apostles.
If Jesus waited until the year 4000 to have died for our sins instead, the world would have none of the above sacraments how many masses would have not been said, how many sinners would not have had confession to forgive them,
Jesus revealed the true nature of the Father as Abba to us,
and if He had not come would the world be full of pagans instead maybe?

" Or, of course, God is.
If it was all planned out by God for a reason and there was no way to change it, then God is responsible.:

so all the individuals involved had NO FREE WILL -since it was planned out?

ahhh…but if Adam and Eve did not sin, it would have been someone else, for while the spirit is willing the flesh is weak…just as Adam was a type of Christ, and Eve a type of Mary (type, that is: a person or event in scripture pointing to a greater person or event), Adam and Eve could possibly be viewed as an antitype of all men and women.

Right. God and Jesus chose it, in full awareness and conscience.
An all-powerful God could have chosen one of a zillion ways to forgive people of whatever it is they had done. He could have even chosen not to have Jesus die at all and found another way to forgive people.
And yet, they chose this.

Obviously, Jesus wasn’t arrested or tortured or mocked because of the tables scenario.
There was a build up to that moment. But that scene seems to have been the last straw for authorities to arrest him; he had disrupted Passover in a very public, embarrassing, dangerous way in a time of agitation.

Re the Jews and Pilate–I agree with the new testament scholars who think the Barabbas scene is legendary, not historical.
The reason being that there is no reference of Pilate–or any other Roman official–having this customs of releasing a prisoner in honor of local festivities outside of the Christian canon. And Pilate was known to have ruled with an iron fist. Of what we know of him, he’d have no desire to placate the crowd or be sensitive to local customs and laws.
Also…for a Roman governor to release a dangerous criminal–a murderer and enemy of Rome–into the crowd during Passover to please the crowd is just…implausible.

So as for the “let his blood be on us and our children” scene where the Jews choose Barabbas over Jesus…I’m of the camp that it didn’t happen and the Jews don’t have this culpability you describe.

In the benefit of hindsight, you now know that He is Christ and that crucifying Him was sinful. However, all of us, at one time or another, have gone along with the crowd in something gravely sinful.

I am responsible. It was me. I did it.

I was in the crowd and yelled “Crucify him.”
I was set free and he died in my place.
I sentenced him to death.
I hammered the nails.
I reviled him saying, “You cannot save others, save yourself.”
I spat on him.
I denied him three times.
I betrayed him.

It was all my fault.

-Tim-

Jesus is God

Re the Jews and Pilate–I agree with the new testament scholars who think the Barabbas scene is legendary, not historical.
The reason being that there is no reference of Pilate–or any other Roman official–having this customs of releasing a prisoner in honor of local festivities outside of the Christian canon. And Pilate was known to have ruled with an iron fist. Of what we know of him, he’d have no desire to placate the crowd or be sensitive to local customs and laws.
Also…for a Roman governor to release a dangerous criminal–a murderer and enemy of Rome–into the crowd during Passover to please the crowd is just…implausible.

Considering that at one time it was debated if Pilate even existed I find this reasoning suspect.

So as for the “let his blood be on us and our children” scene where the Jews choose Barabbas over Jesus…I’m of the camp that it didn’t happen and the Jews don’t have this culpability you describe.

I don’t think it matter because the truth is we are all at fault.

My sins are the reason Jesus had to die and I thank him every day!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.