Death Star at the Vatican

foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2010/05/25/empire-strikes-back/?test=faces#slide=1. What the heck is this thing supposed to be? :eek:

[quote="Della, post:1, topic:199582"]
foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2010/05/25/empire-strikes-back/?test=faces#slide=1. What the heck is this thing supposed to be? :eek:

[/quote]

I'd check with the official site at the Holy See about it first if I were you.

It’s by Arnaldo Pomodoro

[quote="Brickmaker, post:3, topic:199582"]
It's by Arnaldo Pomodoro

[/quote]

Yes, here is a better look at it:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/trialaccount96/SphereWithinSphere.jpg

This bronze sculpture is called Sphere Within Sphere (Sfera Con Sfera) and it
measures four meters in diameter. It was created by artist Arnaldo Pomodoro in
1990 for the Vatican Museums. Pomodoro’s specialty is the casting of gigantic
columns and/or globes. In this magnificent sculpture, the fractured surface of
the outer sphere reveals a very complex inner sphere that represents the harsh
difficulties that the modern world finds itself in at the end of the second
millennium.

oursurprisingworld.com/the-vatican-museum/

That looks like one of those ugly modern art things outside the UN building :pshaw:

They should recycle it asap! :smiley:

It’s hideous :slight_smile:

Dan Brown was right! the Vatican does have a weapon that can destroy the world! :rolleyes:

I think that’s the point.

I know it's supposed to be art, but everyone I know -- including English-speaking Roman locals -- do indeed call it the "Death Star."

Same artist.

[quote="Wowbagger, post:9, topic:199582"]
I know it's supposed to be art, but everyone I know -- including English-speaking Roman locals -- do indeed call it the "Death Star."

[/quote]

not nerdy enough

i'd call it Unicron :D

In the good old days one of the other Italian cities would attack Rome and that thing would be melted down to make cannonballs.
Art reached its peak during the Renaissance and has been sliding downhill ever since. (visual arts, for music we’d have to include the baroque & romantic periods).

Agreed. I do actually kind of like it from an art standpoint though. I have a taste for the modern in architecture, etc.

Art is not always pretty, art reflects life. Life is not always pretty.

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:14, topic:199582"]
Art is not always pretty, art reflects life. Life is not always pretty.

[/quote]

That's true. Art often depicts the ugly side of life and ought to. However, the art itself doesn't need to be ugly in order to do that. Indeed, rather than getting people thinking about the downfall of Western Civilization, it only adds to the downfall of Western Civilization. That hardly inspires us to reclaim our culture--it celebrates it's decline. No thanks. I'm with didymus, better it be melted down into something useful, like cannonballs.

It’s not necessarily the downfall. Different people can have different tastes. I personally think that as long as there is a good mix of different styles, culture is preserved and even enriched. Beuaty is in the eye of the beholder.

however, I will be the first to admit, I am almost a synethsthesiac when it comes to computers and other modern technology. I sometimes catch myeslf feeling the flow of a program and admiring its beauty…:o

True, but there is such as thing as the right art piece in the right place and this just ain’t it–at least not to my way of thinking. :slight_smile:

however, I will be the first to admit, I am almost a synethsthesiac when it comes to computers and other modern technology. I sometimes catch myeslf feeling the flow of a program and admiring its beauty…:o

If this thing were outside a technology company or at a university’s science department, I’d be okay with it, but at the Vatican? It serves no purpose there except to shock and dismay. Why not a beautiful depiction of the Divine Mercy, which has had such an impact our own generation? Or a tribute to modern martyrs? Why this techno thing with no connection to Catholic faith? It’s just makes no sense. :shrug:

How useful are cannonballs today? :shrug:

But life is very rarely spherical

[quote="tjm190, post:19, topic:199582"]
But life is very rarely spherical

[/quote]

Our planet is, and many arguments in the apologetics forum are.:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.