Death toll in China earthquake up to nearly 9,000

CHONGQING, China - One of the worst earthquakes in decades struck central China on Monday, killing nearly 9,000 people, trapping about 900 students under the rubble of their school and causing a toxic chemical leak, state media reported.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 7.8-magnitude earthquake devastated a hilly region of small cities and towns in Sichuan and nearby provinces. The official Xinhua News Agency said 8,533 people died in Sichuan alone and dozens of other deaths were reported in surrounding areas.

Xinhua said 80 percent of the buildings had collapsed in Beichuan county in Sichuan province after the quake, raising fears the overall death toll could increase sharply.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080512/ap_on_re_as/china_earthquake

The bottom of the article also stated:

“China’s deadliest earthquake in modern history struck the northeastern city of Tangshan on July 28, 1976, killing 240,000 people.”

So why are deaths in the China countryside and small towns so high? Is it because of the way their buildings are built? But I canno be sure that is the reason, I recently read a book of Chinese architecture, and one thing it pointed out was that all the unique features we see in Chinese buildings are there mostly as ways of helping buildings in earthquakes… in fact, the great forbidden city in Beijing has never needed repairs because of earthquakes ever since it was built, so the high death rate puzzles me.

I would think you are correct about building construction leading to lots of deaths. In many rural areas they are no more than flimsy shacks or reinforced concrete buildings with no give in them. Some sources have put the death toll well over 14,000.:frowning:

[/FONT]**China Deploys 50,000 Troops to Sichuan, Earthquake Death Toll Tops 12,000… **

[/FONT]XINHUA WRAP…** **

Lets see: A devastating cyclone in Burma, a volcano in Chile, this earthquake in China, and now Mt. Etna acting up. Jack Van Impe must be beside himself! Roanoker

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.