Debate CD's

hey, i was just wandering if anyone could help me out.
my girlfriend (pentacostal) and i (catholic) are wanting to start studying more on the catholic church, i am fairly strongly founded, but im still learning. the problem is she doesnt want only the catholic side of the story, which i dont blame her. i am pretty sure i have heard that there are Catholic-protestant debates which have been recorded on CD, preferably with apologists like Karl Keeting, or Scott Hahn, Patrick Madrid, any of the liking will suffice. i want these CD’s so i can present to my girlfriend both sides of the story, and show her where the protestant side falls short. does anyone know what these CD’s are called, who publishes them, etc? i have a great catholic book store in my little hometown, but the owner hasnt heard of the sort, and needs some more info before she can get me anything in.
Thanx in advance

[quote=jax8686]hey, i was just wandering if anyone could help me out.
my girlfriend (pentacostal) and i (catholic) are wanting to start studying more on the catholic church, i am fairly strongly founded, but im still learning. the problem is she doesnt want only the catholic side of the story, which i dont blame her. i am pretty sure i have heard that there are Catholic-protestant debates which have been recorded on CD, preferably with apologists like Karl Keeting, or Scott Hahn, Patrick Madrid, any of the liking will suffice. i want these CD’s so i can present to my girlfriend both sides of the story, and show her where the protestant side falls short. does anyone know what these CD’s are called, who publishes them, etc? i have a great catholic book store in my little hometown, but the owner hasnt heard of the sort, and needs some more info before she can get me anything in.
Thanx in advance
[/quote]

I think debates are harmful. The better speaker with the quickest mouth “wins,” whether or not he is closer to the truth. The Faith is too precious to entrust to such a setting – even one with “rules.” This shouldn’t be about debating. This is about truth. Messing up the picture with tit-for-tat arguments and throwing in the weight of personality (which can overrule almost anything, especially in our media-crazed culture) is dangerous.

the main reason i want debates is because i am unequipt to show her any of the protestant side of the argument, and since she is only 16, and hasnt had 15 years of studying, she cannot come up with her own objections so easily, and thus cannot accept something to be true if she does not see the oposing false side. if you could give me some other form of media, etc, that would contain both sides of the story in such a laid out manner, then that would be more appreciated. but because i am unnaware of such a thing, this will have to suffice. i am also the leader of our apologetics group in my parish, so i can safely say that quick wit and personality are more easiely disregarded than usual, and the biblical arguments are what i am mostly focused on.

James, Alex Jones gives a very good testemony of his journey from a pentecostal background. I don’t know if he has any debate settings, but he has some tapes of his conversion story I think. EWTN or coming home network will have them. The website is www.chnetwork.org

Happy hunting and fruitful study. Paula

I would suggest a look at saintjoe.com they have Catholicism meets Calvary Chapel.

This is a debate between some non-denominational apologists and Tim Staples, Jesse Romero.

This is a debate moderated by a radio station and is pretty good stuff. The only problem is it is on tapes, I would prefer CD’s.
saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=445

The only downfall of the debate is at the end the Calvary Chapel guys dismiss some responses as “Catholic lies” and someone asks a question about how the Pope supported the Nazi’s, off the subject and with not enough time to answer.

They might have more at that site, but my daughter is yelling for me so I have to go.

Scylla

Have you considered something like “Rome Sweet Home” by Scott Hahn? It provides insight into what his beliefs were and why he came to find the fullness of faith that is in the Church, even though that is the last place he wanted to look.

In addition to “The Catholic Church Meets Calvary Chapel” Catholic Answers offers the debate between anti-Catholic James White and Jimmy Akin as it was broadcast on the Protestant radio show “The Bible Answer Man”:

The Bible Answer Man Debate - Cassette Tapes
Jimmy Akin

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-CA086.html?L+scstore+mnwg3323ff064b06+1115924894

I think that listening to debates has value. It allows one to hear each side present it’s case from their own mouth and not filtered through a biased source. That way when one discusses an issue, they can’t be accused of misrepresenting the other side. When I listened to the “Calvary Chapel” debate, for example, it only reinforced what I know were the errors in certain Protestant doctrines, as well as how they misunderstand (and sometimes blatantly misrepresent) Catholic teaching.

Sometimes it’ll make your blood boil to hear one’s own side misrepresented sometimes, but if a weak stomach and a thin skin is your problem, you should not be an apologist.

Hello All,

I love debates more than simple preaching, because usually preaching is very one sided. Debates allow for two different perspectives to be heard and allows the opponents to challenge each other. The audience can make a more informed descision.

An ill prepared debator can, obviously, harm the the message being conveyed. So it is best to be properly prepared(catechized) before entering into the debate arena. So I guess the best advice is: if you can’t cut the mustard don’t make a sandwich.

If you actually want to purchase a good debate, “The Bible Answer Man Debate” w/ Jimmy Akin and Dr. James White shop.catholc.com . On Saintjoe.com there are “The Ultimare Challenge” w/ Fr. Benedict Groschel, Dr. Scott Hahn, and Fr. Mitch Pacwa. There is “Contending for the Faith” w/ Tim Staples and Jesse Romero. Also, on the Bible Answer Man website www.equip.org there is a debate between Tim Staples and Dr. James White.

If you like debates, Sungenis has many available at his site www.catholicintl.org (Catholic Apologetics International) I have a bunch of them on a variety of topics against various opponents.

Run, don’t walk, to www.biblechristiansociety.com

I’m not kidding. Get all those CD’s. They are free. They provide awesome explainations of the Catholic faith using the bible as support.

Get them. Now. NOW! NOW I SAY!!

Sorry. I feel better now. :o

But I meant what I said. They are beautiful and I promise you they will be helpful.

:slight_smile: :angel1:

Little Mary, thanx, ill c if i can use any of those.

i have rome sweet home sitting in the store waiting for me to pick up, and i have already read it. im gonna reccomend it to my gf too…
anyone know any specific publishers or anything? im not big on ordering stuff online…

Hey man, James R. White is like, the leading anti-Catholic apologist there is. Sungenis took him down four or five times. You can get the tapes on www.catholicintl.com

Sungenis also has other debates on there. Sungenis owns!

Catholicism Now

[quote=challenger]Hey man, James R. White is like, the leading anti-Catholic apologist there is. Sungenis took him down four or five times. You can get the tapes on www.catholicintl.com

Sungenis also has other debates on there. Sungenis owns!

Catholicism Now

[/quote]

I would hesitate on suggesting Sungenis. He’s not the best representative of the Catholic faith, although in fairness, I don’t know if that shows up in debates. His website has a RED (danger) fidelity rating from Catholic Culture website reviews.

[quote=Little Mary]Run, don’t walk, to www.biblechristiansociety.com

I’m not kidding. Get all those CD’s. They are free. They provide awesome explainations of the Catholic faith using the bible as support.

Get them. Now. NOW! NOW I SAY!!

Sorry. I feel better now. :o

But I meant what I said. They are beautiful and I promise you they will be helpful.

:slight_smile: :angel1:
[/quote]

I got these CD’s for me and my Evangelical girlfriend…and I must say, they are fantastic at presenting the truth that Scripture teaches. I’m not sure how she has recieved them though as I don’t think she’s listened to them, however I know that I’ve listened to them twice, and love them.

Does anyone know of any free debates online?

[quote=michaelgazin]Does anyone know of any free debates online?
[/quote]

I don’t know of any free debates, but the cds from the Bible Christian Society are fantastic. Mr. Martignoni is awesome with his explanations, and very thorough. www.bcs.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.