Debate the need for Confession here

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

Matthew 23:9
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Matthew 3:6
And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
Matthew 3:5-7 (in Context) Matthew 3 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 1:5
And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

P.S. sprinkling of water and infant baptisim is not a biblical practice it was always full immersion at age of understanding

Welcome to CAF.

Did Jesus say how he chose people to interceed between you and Him? No!, but have you ever asked your family to pray for you too. Why don’t you just pray to God and never ask anyone to pray for you.

Here is what you might want to read:
catholic.com/library/Call_No_Man_Father.asp

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you in the water unto penance, but he that shall come after me, is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear; he shall baptize you in the Holy Ghost and fire.

John 20:21-23
21 He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

What is the point of Jesus giving this power to the Apostles, and there is no need to use?

Tell me how St. John in the womb of Elizabeth leaped for joy when Mother Mary was visiting if he wasn’t even born yet?

Luke 1:4 For behold as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy.

Please provide chapter and verse where this is stated.

If you really had a Catholic school education from K-12 your parents should ask for their money back.

Please read Ezekiel chapter 36 one more time:

25 I will sprinkle clean water upon you to cleanse you from all your impurities, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. 26 I will give you a new heart and place a new spirit within you, taking from your bodies your stony hearts and giving you natural hearts. 27 I will put my spirit within you and make you live by my statutes, careful to observe my decrees.

What pray tell, makes you think that sprinkling of water is not Scriptural?

Jessica, please explain John chapter 20:

21 (Jesus) said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. 23 Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

Either the Apostles were psychic and knew someone’s sins, or they had to confess them to the Apostles. No where in the bible does it say they were psychic. I looked.

Here is the answer to your question on confession.

Confessing our sins to a priest.

In the book of Genesis we read all about the fall of Adam and Eve and about Cain killing Able. While God knew exactly what had happened and what sins had been committed, God still asks Adam and Eve [see Gen 3:11-14] what they had done. Again, when Cain kills Able in Gen 4:10, God asks Cain “What have you done?” God wants us to confess and it is therefore necessary for us to do so.

So where does the priest fit in? In Leviticus 5:5-6 we have a solid prefiguring/foreshadowing of confession and this is carried over into the New Covenant. In Lev. 5:5-6 it says, “When a man is guilty in any of these, he shall confess the sin he has committed, and he shall bring his guilt offering to the Lord for the sin which he has committed, a female from the flock, a lamb or a goat, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make atonement for him for his sin.” Note how the penitent must confess and take his sin offering to the priest, and the priest shall make atonement for him for his sin. This requires knowledge of the sin on the part of the priest.

In the New Testament we have a number of verses that refer to the authority to forgive sins. In Matthew 9:6-8, we read “But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins”–he then said to the paralytic --“Rise, take up your bed and go home.” And he rose and went home. When the crowds saw it, they were afraid, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men." Notice how scripture says that such authority had been given to men. This is significant and is not merely a coincidence. This is the inspired word of God.

The question of authority and power to forgive sin is given obviously to Jesus and this is further affirmed in Matthew 28:18 where we are told, "And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.”

So just how is this authority transfered to the apostles and their successors? In John 20:21-23 "Jesus said to them, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” This is an incredible set of verses. They are rich in meaning and power. Notice that Jesus sends the apostles in the same way that the Father sent Him. The Father sent Jesus with all power and authority which included the power to forgive sins. So also Jesus sends the apostles. Jesus breathes on the apostles and says, “receive the Holy Spirit.” There is only one other time in all of scripture where God breathes on man, and that is in Genesis when God breathes life into Adam. This is a significant moment in the upper room and it is at this moment that Jesus says, “If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven: if you retain the sins of any they are retained.”

Later in the new testament scriptures we find additional verses that speak to confession and reconciliation. The most significant are the following:

2 Corinthians 5: 17-20
Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We beseech you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

James 5:14-15
Is any among you sick? Let him call for the presbyters [priests] of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

James 5:16
Therefore confess you sins to one another….

(credit for much of this goes to apologist John Martignoni)

Jessica, when one says, “** Debate the need for Confession here”, one usually sticks around to debate.

Or you can just read the results of a previous thread like this at Alfie’s Assertion That Confession is Optional.

Jessica, my husband and I were born and raised Protestant. My husband was a tongues-speaking Assemblies of God member.

We are now both Catholic. And we believe in the incredible value of Confession.

I would ask you how often YOU confess your sins to the Lord and seek cleansing? Once a week at altar call in your church? That’s great. But our experience is that most non-Catholics never think about their sins, let alone confess them. In fact, I was actually taught that it was WRONG to think about my sins, and that confessing them was WRONG because it showed a lack of faith in Jesus’ completed work on the cross. After all, my sins were all forgiven, past, present, and future. All I should do is praise God for His forgiveness.

That kind of thinking got me to a place where I didn’t even notice if I sinned.

As for Biblical support for Confession, it’s all through the Old and New Testament. All those years, we knew it was there, and we just “glossed over” those verses about confessing our sins. When we started learning about the Catholic Church, we realized that they were the most Biblical church all along.

One more thing–if you think a good charismatic prayer service feels good, you ought to try Confession to a priest! Talk about HIGH! Both my husband and I pretty much float out the church door after Confession!

Confession “Old” style

** Leviticus 4**
27 " 'If a member of the community sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the LORD’s commands, he is guilty. 28 When he is made aware of the sin he committed, he must bring as his offering for the sin he committed a female goat without defect. 29 He is to lay his hand on the head of the sin offering and slaughter it at the place of the burnt offering. 30 Then the priest is to take some of the blood with his finger and put it on the horns of the altar of burnt offering and pour out the rest of the blood at the base of the altar. 31 He shall remove all the fat, just as the fat is removed from the fellowship offering, and the priest shall burn it on the altar as an aroma pleasing to the LORD. In this way **the priest will make atonement for him, and he will be forgiven. **

Confession “New” style–

Jesus is our sacrifical Lamb offered in the place of our sins. We no longer bring an animal but we still bring our sins to the priest.

John 20
21Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."
James 5**

14Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the **church, **and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick man: and the Lord shall raise him up: and **if he be in sins**, **they shall be forgiven him.**

**16 Confess therefore your sins **one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.