Debate with Protestant about salvation

My opinion is that these groups are not helpful. People often get in over their head in attempting to debate.

There is little chance of sowing the seed of the Catholic Church in one of these groups, they are too adversarial.
Use your talents form sowing the seed of the Church in real time, in real life.

You’re on a Catholic forum, that’s to be expected here. Especially when a thread is about a Protestant saying Catholics don’t go to Heaven. If you want to read people cheerleading for Protestantism, you will find that on a Protestant forum.

We don’t have to Google it, as there are already about 10 threads on the forum about it and a lot of discussion about why this result might have come about, including some possible problems with both the study and with who defines themself as “Catholic”. Please take the time to read about Catholic topics rather than just coming into a thread and telling us to “Google” something we have already discussed on here in great depth. It’s patronizing.

I completely agree with this.

I appreciate that some people can get very “into” apologetics and others feel they MUST respond to every spurious allegation made against the Church.
But this type of Facebook group you mention is the equivalent of “bunch of crazy people wearing tinfoil hats”.

People who would join such a group likely do not have open minds and probably aren’t approaching the topic of Catholicism in a thoughtful way.
Most adults find the idea laughable that we should drop everything and run over and debate with a bunch of nuts on some Facebook group or Youtube video making outlandish claims about our Church.

It is a huge waste of time and you would be better off trying to evangelize and serve the Church in another way.

Agreed… I think it’s a wonderful faith. It was part of a greater issue for me.

Fair enough. I hope you are able to progress on your faith journey.

FWIW, my husband was Protestant, and we were very happy. My in-laws Protestant also and I got along with them fine. My grandmother a Protestant also as my father converted to Catholicism, and I loved Grandma. I have nothing against Protestants, I just find their issues with the Church hard to comprehend. It’s like they created problems where there weren’t any.

Ask him why no one taught his doctrine until the middle ages, and urge him to study what the first Christians actually believed. He’ll be surprised that they were the farthest things from protestants.

His reply about purgatory…

[Ed ) The time we spent On Earth Is the REFINERY catholic You wont realize this Untill you get to your made up Purgatory and find iout its really The lake of fire…LOL

That is true, actually. There’s a little known Catholic doctrine called the “purgative” way. We should use the life we have on earth purging our sins. Jesus Christ said:

Luke 11:41 But rather give alms of such things as ye have; and, behold, all things are clean unto you.

James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

If we live a life of habitual charity and love, we can overcome all our sins and completely refine our souls so that God will judge us worthy of heaven without being cleansed in Purgatory.

Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

catholic You wont realize this Untill you get to your made up Purgatory and find iout its really The lake of fire…LOL

Lol! Well protestant, that may be true, but it is for God to judge.

1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man’s judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. 4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

But, God has put Catholics on this earth in order to preach the Good News. You can also be saved. If you do good. If you don’t, then you might wind up in that Lake of Fire. And you will then be lamenting that you were not found worthy enough to be cleansed by the Consuming Fire of Our God.

Anyway, take note. He says the time we spend on earth is the Refinery. That’s what we believe. It is Catholic Teaching that we are chastised by God and unless we suffer with Him, we will not inherit the glory with Him. So, ask him when he added suffering to faith in order to be saved.

Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.