Debating with Evangelicals

I got invited to a Yahoogroup discussion with Catholics and Evangelicals in debate! :smiley:

It’s my job to defend the Faith so I went ahead and joined and will let my zeal spill out!:bounce:

let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

:blessyou:

Not really. It is your job to be a witness to the faith.
I say this with all brotherly love, but Paris, from reading your posts, and with the struggles you have in which you feel like you lose your faith, entering into apologetics with seasoned evangelicals is likely to do more harm to you than good.
I know you don’t know me, but i recommend you stay away from contentious debate. they are rarely uplifting, and rarer still, is anyone swayed one way or the other.

It is the Holy Spirit’s job to evangelize. Our job is to be willing to go where God leads us. As a still new Catholic, you should be concenrating on being built up yourself, not converting others at this time.

[quote=Dan-Man916]Not really. It is your job to be a witness to the faith.
I say this with all brotherly love, but Paris, from reading your posts, and with the struggles you have in which you feel like you lose your faith, entering into apologetics with seasoned evangelicals is likely to do more harm to you than good.
I know you don’t know me, but i recommend you stay away from contentious debate. they are rarely uplifting, and rarer still, is anyone swayed one way or the other.

It is the Holy Spirit’s job to evangelize. Our job is to be willing to go where God leads us. As a still new Catholic, you should be concenrating on being built up yourself, not converting others at this time.
[/quote]

:amen:

[quote=Dan-Man916]Not really. It is your job to be a witness to the faith.

[/quote]

True. But I can’t help it! :o I’ll just be a witness and introduce myself and tell them what I know, and that will be good, how’s that?:smiley:

[quote=Dan-Man916]but Paris, from reading your posts, and with the struggles you have in which you feel like you lose your faith, entering into apologetics with seasoned evangelicals is likely to do more harm to you than good.

[/quote]

**YES - I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE!

PARIS, NOT FOR NOTHING, BUT I DO NOT THINK YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO “DEFEND THE FAITH” ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU SEEM TO BE “HOT AND COLD” DUE TO YOUR “LACK” OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE FAITH AND YOUR RASH DECISIONS OF GIVING IN TO TEMPTATIONS TO LOSE FAITH.

IF I WERE YOU, I’D STEER CLEAR. THIS IS IMMINENT DANGER FOR YOU AND A TRAP THAT WILL ULTIMATELY HAVE YOU DOUBTING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND YOUR FAITH AGAIN!**

[quote=CindyGia]**YES - I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE!

PARIS, NOT FOR NOTHING, BUT I DO NOT THINK YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO “DEFEND THE FAITH” ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU SEEM TO BE “HOT AND COLD” DUE TO YOUR “LACK” OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE FAITH AND YOUR RASH DECISIONS OF GIVING IN TO TEMPTATIONS TO LOSE FAITH.

IF I WERE YOU, I’D STEER CLEAR. THIS IS IMMINENT DANGER FOR YOU AND A TRAP THAT WILL ULTIMATELY HAVE YOU DOUBTING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND YOUR FAITH AGAIN!**
[/quote]

You’re right, I’m not really qualified. I should’ve known that![
http://images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/duh2.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)

But I have to be a witness to the Faith! images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/hissyfit.gif

Oh well, maybe the next 50 years I’ll be able to defend the Faith when more knowledge comes into my mind, eh?[images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/hyper.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)[
](“javascript: void(0);”)

Paris,

We are witnesses to the faith by the love we show. We aren’t witnesses by being good at apologetics and having a scriptural response for every evangelical charge.

Believe me when I say, a lot more people are converted by love and humility, than are by winning the Catholic/Evangelical doctrinal debate.

[quote=Paris Blues] Oh well, maybe the next 50 years I’ll be able to defend the Faith when more knowledge comes into my mind, eh?

[/quote]

I would say that Mother Teresa was a great defender of the faith, and she didn’t win the world by her knowledge. She converted many hearts by her great love.

We are soldiers of Christ. This is true. Our armor is our faith and our weapon is love, not eloquent apologetics.

[quote=Dan-Man916]Paris,

We are witnesses to the faith by the love we show. We aren’t witnesses by being good at apologetics and having a scriptural response for every evangelical charge.

Believe me when I say, a lot more people are converted by love and humility, than are by winning the Catholic/Evangelical doctrinal debate.
[/quote]

True, very true.[images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/30_angel.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)[

You’re right…it’s stupidhttp://images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/20_grumpy.gif

They’re unfriendly then I end up being unfriendly and then I get mad and irritated images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/16_angry.gif - but not to the point where I give up my faith - then end up giving up and leaving!:wave:

I can’t help but think this is another “invisible trap” for me by the devil .images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/devil.gif…thinking I can go and defend the Faith when in the end, I’ll end up leaving the Faith and end up more confused and unhappy…exactly what Satan wants!

I better be careful! [images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/duck.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)

Good thing I have people like you to warn me![images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/sonar.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)[

paris,

We’re all here to help each other, not just us help you. It’s a two way street!

[quote=Dan-Man916]paris,

We’re all here to help each other, not just us help you. It’s a two way street!
[/quote]

I know![images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/sly.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)[

[quote=Dan-Man916]Paris,

[/quote]

Paris, I feel you have been a much greater motivator of the faith then 95% of the people on this site! Was that with you vast wealth of doctrinal knowledge? No, it was with your love and zeal for the truth! It shows in so many of your posts.

I wouldn’t say to stay away from the site you mentioned. I learn more from my faith when people question it, because then I research the questions and end up with a truer knowledge than before (and a greater respect for Our Church!

Just don’t let them get you down!!!

Notworthy

Hi Paris, recruit some helppers to post under your name there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.