Debunk Seventh-day Adv. 2300 years prophecy

Can anyone provide a Catholic response to the Seventh-day Adventist’s interpretation of the Book of Daniel’s 2300 day prophecy? (Daniel 8:14)

I have searched all around the Internet and can’t find a definitive debunking of it.

I was in a serious debate with an SDA, and when he brought this to the table, it threw me for a loop. I had never heard of it before. Please help me out!!!

Mark 13:32 *But of that day or hour no man knoweth, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father.

Beware the prophet who tells you when JESUS will return. Matthew Chapter 24 tells us when they begin to say, “look JESUS is over there, don’t look” they will deceive with miracles and wonders, and if possible deceive even the elect of GOD, therefore don’t buy into this, JESUS is the fulfillment of prophecy when JESUS returns he will come in the clouds of HEAVEN and all men shall see HIM, and JESUS shall judge all LIVING and dead . … therefore just wait . … but don’t listen to the prophets of flesh and blood, listen to the CHURCH and wait worship, pray, serve JESUS, but just wait keeping the commandments, always expecting, but not being anxious about it, just wait in joy hope of JESUS’ return . …

this is expressed in Matthew Chapter 24, and the Catholic Liturgy . …

LOVE your neighbor as yourself.
Amen.

I did a quick Google search, and I found this that might be helpful.

The 2300-Day Dilemma

I’ll be honest; I haven’t read this link, so I don’t know if it’s any good, and I don’t know the author’s religious affiliation. But perhaps it may help.

Hey Magnum V8,

The entire SDA church was founded by a man named Miller, who supposedly had mathematically determined the day of Christ’s return. This itself is blatantly non-scriptural. If Christ Himself didn’t know, how was man to know-shades of Adam and Eve’s fall in the garden, huh?

Well, Mr. Miller gathered his faithful to himself and they waited in 1843. No return. Then, amazingly, he found a math error. “It’s 1844!” he proclaimed. Another year’s wait. No return. Basically, his faithful fell away and a female “visionary” stepped in. She reclaimed what was left of the church. They still rely heavily on her teachings.

She was Ellen Gould White (aka E.G. White on their book covers), a vehement anti-Catholic. Basically, there is no reason for SDA to exist, since scripture says no one knows the hour of his return. Our Chaplain at work is SDA and was shocked, Shocked! to hear a mere Catholic talk fervently about our Lord. They trumpet the whole whore of Babylon garbage and believe that the Pope is the anti-Christ. They have been greatly mislead.

SDA is more or less Lutheran, but they are consumed with the Apocalypse and the Prophet Daniel. They also believe the Sabbath did not change when Christ was raised on Sunday, and that the evil Catholic church fooled all Protestant churches into Sunday worship. You have the Essential Catholic Survival Guide, right? There is a very good chapter on SDA in it. Notice how so many cults and fringe groups emerged in the 1800s?

So, tell your friend that he has the choice of believing in his church’s twist on the Prophet Daniel, or in believing what Christ Himself said in plain Aramaic!

Easy choice for you and I, my friend!

Christ’s peace be with you and the SDA.

Nice post, po18guy!

I have done so much research the last few days on the SDA. I truly feel sorry for the ones that have been brainwashed by this group. I was actually in conversation with two of 'em…lucky me: one Catholic vs. 2 anti-Catholics. Funny thing is, one of them was very civilized and not really aggressively anti-Catholic, while the other one couldn’t stop calling us the whore of Babylon.

Their response to saying that Miller was going against Scripture by even trying to predict Jesus’ return would be: “Miller was wrong about the event. Something DID happen in 1844 — Jesus entered into the 2nd part of the holies in order to accomplish investigative judgment”…or something like this.

I don’t have “The Essential Catholic Survival Guide.” Actually, I never heard of it, but I’m about to look it up; sounds good.

Maybe I should post the extremist’s statement about the importance of 1844 and see if you can help me pick it apart.

Here’s what he said:

The importance of 1844 is Daniel 8:14. 2300 day/year time prophecy in the Bible. It is where Jesus goes from the holy place in the Heavenly sanctary, to the Holy of Holys, 2 compartment - to judge those [Who have died] who professed His name to see if their works equaled their faith. Daniel 7:10 - All must come to the Judgment seat of Christ. The Living get judged at the mark of the Beast system. coming very soon.

The 490 day to year prophecy is cut off from this, which is found in Daniel 9:24-27

THE LONGEST PROPHECY BEGINS

the 70 week prophecy (Dan 9:24-27) is the first part of the 2300 day prophecy. Seventy Weeks are "determined (“cut off” in Hebrew – cut off from the larger 2300 day (year) prophecy) for the Jews.

Therefore, the first part of the 2300 day prophecy of Daniel 8:14 is time allocated to the Jews, (As a Nation) to conclude their probation as God’s specially favored nation.

In Bible prophecy, a day equals a year (Num 14:34; Ezek 4:6). The decree of Artaxerxes, given in his seventh year as king, in 457 b.c. (Dan 9:25; Ezra 6:14; 7:6-8), restoring the Jewish government, begins this vast time prophecy of 2300 years.

The first 70 weeks (Dan 9:24-27) of this prophecy, cut off are allotted to the Jews, equals 490 continual years. The walls of Jerusalem were rebuilt in 7 weeks, or 49 years (408 B.C.) (Right on Time). Another 62 weeks brings us to the anointing of Christ for His mission in A.D. 27. Now 483 years are past; only 1 week remains of the 70.

In the midst of this week (Dan 9:26-27), A.D. 31 the Messiah is cut off, crucified. (Folks this is the week that is used, “thrown” into the future, after the rapture, and the Anti-Christ then is reveled) The anti-Christ (Messiah) is cut off. NOT BIBLICAL.

A second half-week of three and one half years bring us to A.D. 34, when at the stoning of Stephen the gospel is taken to the Gentiles.

THE LONGEST PROPHECY ENDS.

In A.D. 34 the 70 weeks, or 490 years, is completed. There remains 1810 years of this longest Bible prophecy, of Daniel 8:14, to be fulfilled, At its termination, in A.D. 1844, began the “cleansing of the Sanctuary” (Psalm 77:13) predicted in this important passage of Daniel 8:14.

Jesus is our High Priest in the heavenly Sanctuary (the pattern of the earthly). In 1844, He began His final work in it, prior to His second advent to the earth for His people.

Only Jesus of Nazareth fulfilled this prophecy (not a future anti-Christ) When Christ was crucified, and by His death caused to cease, or brought to an end, the sacrifices and oblations of the earthly sanctuary.

HOW WAS JESUS ANOINTED?

God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power. Act 10:38

AT WHAT TIME DID JESUS RECEIVE THE SPECIAL ANOINTING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?

Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art My beloved Son." Luke 3:21-22

WHAT DID JESUS SAY SHORTLY AFTER THIS?

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He hath anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor. Luke 4:18

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. (mark 1:15)

HAVE YOU THOUGHT WHY JESUS SAID:

Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. Matt 18:22
Jesus was trying to warn the Israel Nation it time was about to end for His people.

Note: It is evident that the sixty-nine weeks (483 years) were to reach to the baptism of Christ, as that was the time of His anointing by the Holy Spirit, John the Baptist began his work in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius (Luke 3:1-3). Tiberius began to reign conjointly with his father in the year 12 A.D., two years before his father’s death (Prideaux’s Connection," vol. 1, page 246). The fifteenth year of his reign would therefore be 27 A.D., the time when Jesus was anointed, at His baptism.

Note This Artaxerxes began to reign 464 B.C. (Prideaux’s Connection, vol.1 page 222 “Smith’s Comprehensive Dictionary.” art. Artaxerxes).

Dr. Adam Clarke says: According to the commandment of the God of Israel, He first gave the order, and stirred up the hears of the following Persian Kings to second that order: "Of Cyrus. This sovereign gave his orders for the rebuilding of the temple about 536 B.C. " And Darius. Darius Hystaspes confirmed the above order, 519 B.C. " And Artaxerxes. Artaxerxes Longimaus sent Ezra to Judea with new privileges, 457 B.C. Thee letter of Artaxerxes to Ezra conferring upon him authority to do this work, is found in Ezra 7:11-26

Then he added this:

We have Free Will to choose based on our understanding of scripture, William Miller, did not understand the Heavenly Sancturary. He thought 100% it was the Earth, and the Lord was to cleanse the Earth [And he preached it with passion]. The Judgment begins at the house of the Lord, in heaven from the books of remembrance. [He was no sabbath keeper until after 1844, the faithful followers of the Lord, keeped the first day, they were called adventist because they preached Jesus is coming. They were Just Bible Christians following God by faith on their understanding.

Revelation 10 is the millerite movement recorded. For the little book was opened. What little book. The only one that was sealed in Daniel.

Revelation 4, is where the Lord entered the Holy of Holy’s, Revelation 1 tells us, Jesus was in the First compartment, In the Mist of the Candlesticks. We need to understand the Sanctuary system, to understand the times. For Jesus is our High Priest in the Heavenly, not in a priesthood on Earth.

In 1839 the Book of Daniel was opened to be understood [William Miller plus two others] preahed Daniel and the First angels message [Rev 14:7 around the World in 5 Years], without the Book of Daniel, Revelation cannot be understood.

You need only read Daniel 8 in context to see that the Sanctuary is on earth, not in heaven. Basically, after Miller’s date did not happen, and Ellen White’s “hidden hand” redating of the second coming did not happen in what is known as the great disappointment. Two men walking through a corn field got the idea that Daniel 8, was talking about a heavenly sanctuary, not an earth bound one. Here is the story itself,

The Great Disappointment

So that night many gathered in the groves and fields in prayer to await the return of their Lord. The hours ticked by. At last midnight came, but Jesus didn’t come. What was sweet at first suddenly became bitter. The sweet prophecy of Daniel’s little book was now the source of a great disappointment. Many had sold their homes and failed to bring in the harvest from the fields. Every hope was centered in the soon return of Jesus. That night, many spent the entire night in bitter weeping and returned the next morning to their villages to meet the jeers and laughter of their neighbors.

Hiram Edson wrote recalling the experience said,

“Our fondest hopes and expectations were blasted, and such a spirit of weeping came over us as I never experienced before. It seemed that the loss of all earthly friends could have been no comparison. We wept, and wept, till the day dawn. I mused in my own heart, saying, My advent experience has been the richest and brightest of all my Christian experiences. If this had proved a failure, what was the rest of my Christian experiences worth? Has the Bible proved a failure? Is there no God, no heaven, no golden home city, no paradise? Is all this but a cunningly devised fable? Is there no reality to our fondest hope and expectation of these things? And thus we had something to grieve and weep over, if all our fond hopes were lost.” Incomplete Manuscript of Hiram Edson.

The Heavenly Sanctuary Recognized

In the Corn field. The following morning, Edson and a few others went to a barn to pray. After prayer, he was walking home through a corn field with O.R.L Crosier when he looked up and suddenly realized that the sanctuary to be cleansed was not the earthly, but the heavenly sanctuary. He saw that on October 22, 1844 Jesus left the Holy Place in the heavenly sanctuary and entered the Most Holy Place to begin his second and last phase of ministry. Suddenly the prophecies came into sharp focus in his mind. He wrote,

“It has been vividly impressed upon my mind that the sanctuary to be cleansed by fire is not the earth, but it is the heavenly sanctuary.”

teachinghearts.org/dre04histadventist.html

Desmond Ford wrote a good refutation of this in Daniel 8:14 - The Day of Atonement & the Investigative Judgment

goodnewsunlimited.org/bookdetail.cfm?bookid=704

The Essential Catholic Survival Guide is only a few clicks away. It is a compendium of works written by the Catholic Answers staff. It is what its title says. There are so many people that have been mislead! “70 times 7 times” was about forgiveness! That, I thouight was obvious. Heaven help us!

Open hearts are one thing to pray for. Open minds quite another.

Christ’s peace to you.

Magnum V8,

Our (SDA) Chaplain recently told us, and showed a DVD of work they are doing in the Phillipines. He was kind enough to admit that, without the Catholic church, the Phillipines would be an Islamic state.

I have noted that he doesn’t engage me as much in conversation any more. I am going to start taking it to him, asking him questions! He gave a book (7 Mysteries Explained) to one of my co-workers, who showed it to me.

I, of course, was immediately suspicious. NOWHERE on it does it say that it is an SDA book. Most of it appeared generic enough-then I came to the chapter “The Anti-Christ Identified” You may be as shocked as I was to learn that our Holy Father is actually the Anti-Christ!

Well, how many Anti-Christs does the Apocalypse predict? I remember one. I wonder which Pope it was, is or will be??? Am going to ask him if JP2 had anything to do with the collapse of communism. Anyone on his meds would have to say yes.

Let’s look now to Matthew 12:25. A house divided against itself cannot stand, says Christ. I believe him. Now, if JP2 helped bring about the fall of GODLESS communism, reviving the church in the process, doesn’t that seem to be the “Anti-Christ” divided against himself?

This (truth) is awfully hard for them to counter. As to your prior post about trying to dismantle the 2300 year prophesy, it appears to me that they put the books of Daniel, Revelation and a calculator into a blender and then held up the result as infallible.

Notice how the sects, cults, etc. only have a problem with infallibility when it’s the Pope? Their obscure, self-proclaimed visionaries are all infallible, listening to them. Who elected them?

It all gets back to the basic matter that Protestants must devote energy to being anti-Catholic, or they have no reason remain separated. I am called to be Christian 100% of the time-remaining only anti-Satan. As such, I can invite them back with love in my heart.

Best of luck, my brother!

I recommend the following thread:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=108169

The resources listed below my signature will also be useful. I also recommend you PM adventistnomore and sda2rc if you need additional information.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Easy enough. Just find their previous interpretation. Most of these groups have had multiple claims. 1988 was a big year for these, being 40 years from Israel’s 1948 war.

Read David B. Currie’s “Rapture” for a full analysis of Daniel, Revelation, and the Epistles on the subject. He refers to this phenomenon as “rolling Armageddon”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.