Decades after Chernobyl disaster,engineers shelter reactor

11/29/2016, 10:37 AM
On Tuesday, officials from all over the world gathered about a football field away from the Chernobyl disaster site in Ukraine. They were there to celebrate the final placement of a massive, high-tech shelter over reactor 4, which exploded in April 1986.

The shelter, called the New Safe Confinement (NSC), is a feat of engineering. Because it was too dangerous to assemble the NSC over the original shelter that was built in the weeks after the explosion, the NSC was instead built at a distance and moved—slowly, over days—on a pair of tracks parallel to the original shelter. But even that was no simple task. The NSC is 354ft (108m) tall and 843ft (257m) wide, making it the largest mobile metal structure in the world

arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/decades-after-chernobyl-disaster-engineers-slide-high-tech-shelter-over-reactor/

My heart goes out to the People of the area of Chernobyl! They are human beings who simply speak another language. Those who worked at the plant at the time did all they could. . . .

The article stated that this “shelter” is good for 100 years. My prayers for those in the surrounding area and for the people there 100 years from now. Although it is slightly more than a life-time, the children and grandchildren of those there now will be around then. Hopefully, technology will be such in 100 years that something can be done that can protect the People for many half-lives of the radioactivity of that material.

Heavenly Father, please help the people of the area affected by the Chernobyl catastrophe.

Luz Maria

Amén.

I am reasonably confident such technology will exist.

The Chernobyl accident was heart-wrenching yet pleased solutions are being found to minimize continued risk. And being a supporter of Nuclear energy hopefully such efforts leads to greater safety measures.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.