Deciding to homeschool?

And if they don’t or can’t? All of society suffers, including you.

If parents don’t value education, won’t spend money on it, and don’t care, I do NOT want their children to pay the price. You seem willing to allow that, rather than have compulsory public education. i don’t wish to visit the sins of the parents upon the children.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, the Facebook page and blog by the name Catholic All Year is a wealth of homeschooling information :slight_smile:

I agree with you there. I value education and I spend a lot of money on it. My children reap the rewards.

It’s sinful to not want to pay for public schools that are inherently hostile towards Christian values?

We take for granted that people value education.

Where I grew up no parent would have sent their kid to school if it wasn’t free. They cared about the free daycare, not the actual education. “Upper-grade” truancy was very common because a parent would rather their 10, 11 etc year old watch their toddler siblings than go to school. And it wasn’t always so they could work. It’s only been in the last 20 years or so that compulsory school attendance has been moved from 12/13 to 16/17 in many states

I am glad that the “big bad non-Christian” government forced my parents to make me go to school. They weren’t good people. They did bad things. And eventually, I was adopted by good people who put a lot of value on Catholic teachings, education and personal rights.

It is easy to assume that parents value education or even any skill. My parents–and my freinds parents–were not farmers. We wouldn’t have had anything to do but get into mischief or watch TV all day. (that’s what our summers looked like)

Yes if you would rather keep your money than make sure every child gets a basic education, I’d say that is sinful. And maybe YOU wouldn’t…maybe YOU would donate tons of money to private school scholarships. Many others would NOT donate. And even if EVERYONE donated that still wouldn’t fix the problem that some parents wouldn’t bother to send their kids there or get that paperwork done for a scholarship. And you are okay with those kids losing out, through no fault of their own. I call that sinful, yes, because it is selfish.

But again, I think Libertarianism goes counter to Catholic Social Teaching.

I’ve been tempted by a bumper sticker I saw, “Libertarian? Buy Your Own Roads!”

Here is the link to the blog I spoke of earlier.

Uh huh. You believe in forcing them to pay for your roads, and then telling them to build their own as well. You want both worlds. That’s the same with education. And I’m the sinful one?

People like you are only happy when you are controlling others. If that’s being Christian then I want nothing to do with Christianity.

you missed the point of the sticker - if you don’t want to pay taxes toward public roads, fine. See how far you’d get only driving on roads you pay for privately. It would be unworkable.

I did not miss the point at all. That’s the old worn out chest beating self righteous pap spread by those who already have their roads built and paid for partially by those who object to being taxed for it. I’ve been in the road design and construction business for 34 years and I guarantee you that the private sector does it better at one third of the price of your tax dollar roads.

I’ve read quite a bit by Gatto. I don’t think our current system is perfect, one of the reasons I homeschool. But I’m less on the anarchist end of the spectrum than I suspect he is, and think public education is needed, even when not perfect.

And I think those that want it should pay for it and those who think it’s evil should not be forced to pay for it.

And what happens to the kids of those who don’t want to pay of it? What happens to society if there are large portions of a generation that grow up without any education at all and are unable to hold a decent job?

Neither of us know, do we?

I think this just goes back to what I said earlier. You can’t be happy unless you have control over me. Morals mean nothing as long as you control the money supply.

Compulsory education purges the greatest intellectual and creative gifts from the hearts and minds of our children. IF you truly do read and understand Gatto, and those like him, this would be so forcefully clear to you- you would be NO advocate of compulsory schooling. Why do people tend to believe that nothing promising can come out of human beings without the help of the state? It is the state that that PREVENTS innovation and progress.

“I’ve noticed a fascinating phenomenon in my thirty years of teaching: schools and schooling are increasingly irrelevant to the great enterprises of the planet. No one believes anymore that scientists are trained in science classes or politicians in civics classes or poets in English classes. The truth is that schools don’t really teach anything except how to obey orders. This is a great mystery to me because thousands of humane, caring people work in schools as teachers and aides and administrators, but the abstract logic of the institution overwhelms their individual contributions. Although teachers to care and do work very, very hard, the institution is psychopathic – it has no conscience. It rings a bell and the young man in the middle of writing a poem must close his notebook and move to a different cell where he must memorize that humans and monkeys derive from a common ancestor.”
― John Taylor Gatto, Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Education

Catholic All Year is a housewife with a seven figure household income and thus a great deal of resource access for homeschooling that the 99.9% probably shouldn’t take as a given.

Some people would rather let children suffer for the sins of their parents.

They would rather it be acceptable to send a 5-year old into a coal mine 10-year-old into a factory. Afterall, they’d be much more beneficial to their family that way. Why is it fine? Because that’s not their kid. Those kids lose an eye or die in a fire? Welp, that’s what their family chose for them.

At the heart of the compulsory attendance hatred is a pure ignorance of the ways we’ve enriched society through education. It is pretending that our country has not already had to fight for giving children what they deserve. Perhaps public school isn’t perfect, but it’s better than what children faced 100 years ago.

And it takes $200-$500 a year to enroll a student in Seton/Kolbe/OLOG depending on the grade level. (and there are usually steep family discounts) Besides a pen and some scratch paper, you don’t need a single other thing to give your kid one of the finest Catholic educations today.

Oh and guess what? Most of the really amazing Catholic correspondence schools recommend working with your local public school when it comes to drivers’ ed, language, science, art and advanced mathematics.

The local schools have supply lists that run into the $200 range, nevermind clothing and other needed things if your kid is going to be out in public every day.

Simcha already does enough hit pieces on Kendra. Let’s not try and downplay her because of her income. She has good ideas if you want to plan your own curriculum…that’s all.

So I can’t have read and understood him unless I also agree with him?

I can assure you, I read it, understood it, and disagreed with much of it.

She mostly uses Mother of Divine Grace, one of the most affordable programs out there. And her best articles are about stuff like finding your own path, not stressing out over math for a 4 yr old, balancing things between multiple kids, etc. None of which has anything to do with her income.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit