Decision

I am trying to decide whether I should start taking an anti-depressant medication prescribed to me.

Take it! When you have recovered from the depression, you may work with your doctor to go off the medicine. Antidepressants have helped many people. Usually it takes about 6 weeks to work.

It’s good to also have psychotherapy to understand why you got depressed and to help develop coping strategies. I am praying for you!

If you don’t take the medication perscribed to you by a physician, why did you go to him in the first place? Or, do you enjoy being depressed?
Seriously, take the medication. If it has a negative effect, then call the doctor -at his home if necessary. He knows what is best for you, better than you do.

Thank you, Father. The thing I’m wondering about are the side effects and if I’m really that depressed anyway. But I’m definitely hearing your advice. :slight_smile:

Most people have mild or inconsequential side effects.

It is a long story as to why I went to the doctor. But that is a legitimate question to ask.

I’ve been reading reviews online, and it seems like for this one some people are having pretty severe effects. But that doesn’t mean that I would have them, necessarily.

If you start to have bad side effects, call the doctor. Doctor will adjust the dose or change the medicine. You will probably know pretty quickly if the side effects are going to be a problem for you.

I’m a paramedic, and I can’t tell you how many incidents I have been on because a person on anti depressants “felt better” and stopped taking the medicine. These are medicines that help immensely but must be weaned off of under your doctors care. So please work with your doctor in this situation.

If your not sure you need it, but you’ve been to the doctor and got it prescribed, err on the side of you need it.

I will pray for you

Thank you, Father.

I am not currently taking medication. I have taken medications before and been weened off of them. Thanks for the advice and the prayer.

If you suffer from mild depression why don’t you go into a Health Shop and go on alternative medication, I personally feel some doctors are to pill popping happy, and the effects of trying to come of them is dreadful, there is no harm in looking at alternative medication by natural products, only you know if its a case of mild depression, personally that is way I would go as its just easy to stop taking natural products when the depression has lifted.

Also Our Lord and Our Lady to cure you, with short prayers during the day.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

FYI, I have decided to start taking the medication. Things seem to be going pretty well after a couple of days. Thanks for your prayers and comments.

Dan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.