Defeating Gluttony

I have always eaten too much. I never thought otherwise, but for last year, but I have relapsed again almost every day now. I know it’s one of the seven deadly sins, and my family believes it isn’t a sin. How do I:
A: Change their minds?
B: Fix the problem?
I will try to contact Father tomorrow, but some help would be appreciated.

Knowing how much you really need to eat takes a lot of experience. Don’t worry about it too much… Follow the obvious signs of the body, try not to eat in between meals too often, and fast every once in a while.

There are different ways. Going to a nutritionist at least to get a feel for how much of each kind of food would be helpful. Some have it down so it is rather simple.

There are also support groups like Overeater’s Anonymous which I believe is a 12-step program. oa.org/worldwide-oa/

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Exercise is also good.

You may not be able to change your family’s mind with regards to food.

You didn’t state your weight or if you are having health problems. If you can, see your Dr. about it and see what he/she thinks. A boy of 14 may be having a growing spurt or just need the calories. Personally, I seek a high protein and high fiber diet, but that is not for everyone. And guess what? Your changing hormone and testosterin levels will have an effect on your appitite, too. So…maybe your not a glutton at all, just changing. Peace and prayers.

Part of your question was about your family’s take on the topic. Don’t be concerned with that at all – you don’t have to convince them.
Focus on yourself and don’t even mention to your family members that you are trying to change your ways. Then follow the other advice given here, and from your priest.

I will say a prayer for you!

Given your posting history, you most likely aren’t guilty of gluttony at all.

Oh for Heavens sake! Over eating has many causes, most of them psychological. It can be stress, hormonal, compensational,habitual etc. Don’t be too quick to find sin where you really need a full medical assessment. Who has not relapsed from a diet? We would all be great sinners on that criteria. Doctor first; priest second.

Here is the definition of gluttony. I think it means more than just over-eating.

Gluttony (Latin: gula), derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or wealth items to the point of extravagance or waste. In Christianity, it is considered a sin if the excessive desire for food causes it to be withheld from the needy.

Take it easy and don’t get over-worried about enjoying good food unless your eating is unhealthy.

We *are *all great sinners! We just have our own areas of temptation.

And just because something has a psychological cause doesn’t mean it is not a sin. Psychological factors might reduce culpability, but we still need to work on it.

**Upgrade, **you do not need to change their minds, just take care of yourself. Politely say no thank you over and over and over… it can be hard to make these types of changes when with family!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.