Defending a Higher Law: Why We Must Resist Same-sex “Marriage”

*Defending a Higher Law: Why We Must Resist Same-sex “Marriage”

*Thursday, November 4, 2004 [LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]The American TFP’s hard-hitting book, Defending a Higher Law: Why We Must Resist Same-sex “Marriage” and the Homosexual Agenda, is now available online in pdf format. The work outlines the dangers that the homosexual agenda poses to society, refutes common myths concerning homosexuality and clearly outlines Church teaching on the sin of sodomy. It is currently in its third printed edition, with more than 50,000 copies in distribution.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]tfp.org/images/stories/pdf_doc.gif in PDF format today.** Download your free copy of Defending a Higher Law**[/LEFT]
[LEFT]%between%[/LEFT]
[LEFT]%between%[/LEFT]
[LEFT]“Due to the tremendous success of this work, we thought it was time to offer an electronic copy free of charge,” said TFP Web Editor John Horvat. “The print edition did better than our highest expectations. I expect it to be a hot item on our site as well.”[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]The work is recommended by Bishops Bruskewitz, Vasa and Nienstedt as well as EWTN host Fr. John Trigilio, President of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuals, Joseph Nicolosi and former President of Concerned Women for America, Sandy Rios.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]The TFP gained renewed encouragement from Archbishop Elden Francis Curtiss of Omaha, Nebr. who recently reviewed the work. He said the 232-page book “addresses virtually every conceivable point in the debate on homosexual marriage (semantic, scientific, social, scriptural, moral).”[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]He continued: “The paper is written with impeccable logic in virtually every section. In some ways it almost reads like a modern format of the Summa Theologica where the opponent’s arguments are laid out and then refuted. The authors are fully in conformity with the teachings of the Church and argue for the Church’s teaching passionately.”[/LEFT]

You know, the only “agenda” the GBLT community has is to have the same rights and acceptance as everyone else here. I can’t read the book since I’m at work but I did hit a few parts of it to give me an idea of what it was about and it looked like alot of blame and fearmongering to me.

That argument won’t wash.

Homosexual acts are a grave sin. They damage the soul of the sinner, they damage society, and they damage the very cosmos.

There is nothing kind or charitable in encouraging mortal sin. And we SHOULD fear mortal sin more than we feer seeming ‘uncool.’

[quote=“Sailor Kenshin”]That argument won’t wash.

Homosexual acts are a grave sin. They damage the soul of the sinner, they damage society, and they damage the very cosmos.

There is nothing kind or charitable in encouraging mortal sin. And we SHOULD fear mortal sin more than we feer seeming ‘uncool.’
[/quote]

I can see where you’re coming from when it comes to damaging the soul of the sinner even if I don’t agree with it. What I don’t understand is how it damages society and I really don’t understand how the whole cosmos would be damaged because of someones sexual orientation.

Don’t compromise your honesty, read the entire document before you comment.

Read it with no prejudice and an open mind and reflect on the arguments made before spitting out the tired old propaganda and the pitifully weak cliches of “blame and fear mongering.”

The GBLT community has the same rights as everyone else, the problem is that they want extra special rights!

If my daughter is raped and murdered and a gay man is raped and murdered, why is the gay crime the only “hate crime” requiring extra punishment? Both are equally despicable and filled with hate.

If i am living with my girlfriend, i can’t get health care for her and her children from my employer because i have not made the life long commitment of marriage. Why should a gay person have their “partner” covered, even though they haven’t made that same “for better or worse” life long commitment?

Jesus taught us to love everyone, but He also taught us that there is an absolute right and wrong.

We are required to warn the alcoholic or the drug abuser that their actions will not only harm themselves, but worse yet, will harm innocent family, friends and society as a whole.

Our true purpose in life isn’t to make ourselves happy, to gain as much personal pleasure as possible, no matter the amount of pain and suffering caused to others. It is to serve others and to sacrifice for the good of others.

When we figure that out, then we will have finally opened our selfish hearts to Jesus Christ and then, and only then, we will be truly happy!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Remember what I said about being at work and not being able to read the whole thing? Don’t worry I’ll get to it. I read several pages and my initial reaction hasn’t changed.

The GBLT community has the same rights as everyone else, the problem is that they want extra special rights! If my daughter is raped and murdered and a gay man is raped and murdered, why is the gay crime the only “hate crime” requiring extra punishment? Both are equally despicable and filled with hate.

Hate crimes legislation covers a range of things like religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, etc. The legislation was put into place to adress certain motivations for a crime. Just becuase someone is gay and a crime was commited against him or her doesn’t make it a hate crime. The motivation is what determines that. If someone is raped and murdered BECAUSE they’re gay then that’s a hate crime. If that’s not the reason for it happening then it’s not a hate crime.

Just remember that your religion is also protected against “hate crimes” becuase of the exact same law. Gays are not more protected, it’s the same. The problem is that no one goes around beating up catholics with baseball bats for believing in god so it’s not really an issue for you now is it?

We are required to warn the alcoholic or the drug abuser that their actions will not only harm themselves, but worse yet, will harm innocent family, friends and society as a whole.

Well sure the alchoholic has been known to crash cars into people, beat his or her family in some cases when they get drunk and all sorts of other unpleasant things. Same with druggies, many can’t even function as a person because they’re too busy getting high or doing whatever they can to get money to get high again. I don’t see how people loving others of the same sex harms anyone other than some people think it’s immoral.

If i am living with my girlfriend, i can’t get health care for her and her children from my employer because i have not made the life long commitment of marriage. Why should a gay person have their “partner” covered, even though they haven’t made that same “for better or worse” life long commitment?

This just demonstrates that you seem to be unaware that it’s ILLEGAL in many states for homosexuals to get married. It’s not that they won’t make the commitment it’s that they aren’t allowed to. And while we’re on the subject the divorce rate in this country is astronomical anyway so many of the people who do get married don’t really honor those commitments anyway so what difference should it make on health insurance.

They’re not looking for more rights, they just want the same as everyone else.

Besides if we actually get a decent health care system in this country it won’t matter anyway but that’s another topic. :slight_smile:

My take- neither side has a good argument.

No gay marriage side’s take is based on the bible, and the bible is not what our laws are based on.

Pro gay marriage side’s take is based on the idea that gay marriage denies gays of their rights, but if marriage is taken to be a right then why is that right denied to people who wish to marry relatives, more than one person, or those that are too young?

Most civilized countries laws are Judeo Christian based on the 10 commandments.

Perhaps you should read some of the great thinkers on the subject of sin. It’s very real, even if you don’t agree.

And yes, Buf is correct: every one of our laws is based on God’s law. You would not like the world without it.

Good and evil are real, and not a matter of opinion or popular consensus. The militant sinfulness of this society takes a toll on everyone.

The hate crimes bill, by the way, does the opposite of protecting religious freedom. Unless your religion happens to be atheism.

Please elaborate on this statement. And, can I ask if you have a JD?

Perhaps you should read some of the great thinkers on the subject of sin. It’s very real, even if you don’t agree.

And yes, Buf is correct: every one of our laws is based on God’s law. You would not like the world without it.

Good and evil are real, and not a matter of opinion or popular consensus. The militant sinfulness of this society takes a toll on everyone.

Well, what is sinful really differs from person to person. I don’t think it’s sinful to have sex outside of marriage but I’d be willing to be that most people here do. Most people that aren’t in some way mentally challenged know what good and evil is or the difference between right and wrong. It’s called having a concience.

What militant sinfulness? Everyone does wrong regardless of who you are at some point, some more than others but what is “wrong” or sinful again really depends on the person and to a larger extent what a society will take as acceptable behavior of it’s people. And yes I know there are alot of sins out there that aren’t really up for debate like murder, rape, etc but there are many things you would consider sinful that really don’t affect you or anyone else for that matter but many people still try to impose their will upon those that disagree.

The hate crimes bill, by the way, does the opposite of protecting religious freedom. Unless your religion happens to be atheism.

I’m going to need a bit of explanation why that is on this one, I’m not sure how it does the opposite.

Sin does NOT differ from ‘person to person;’ it is absolute, immutible, and non-relative. I didn’t make this up. God did. Whether you believe His Word or not isn’t the point.

And if you were paying attention, I pointed out that all sin effects all of society, not just the individual. Sin kills souls. It kills souls. This bears repeating. In today’s fuzzy-headed and militant pagan world, this crucial message has been lost, stolen, deliberately buried.

Satan is the father of all lies, and the lie that ‘what is sin for you is not sin for me’ is a whopper.

You might start with the simpler teachings on sin of Fr. Wade Menesez. Very accessible.

SK, are you going to elaborate on your statement I questioned you about, or simply ignore it?

You know, the only “agenda” the GBLT community has is to have the same rights and acceptance as everyone else here.

Nope. They want the government to force everyone to accept them. They are already free to have a wedding and all that, (not sure if that’s a good idea or not) just not to have it government recognised and enforced. When it is government recognised, like in MA, bad stuff happens. For instance, they shut down catholic orphanages. I

Why is marriage so important to gays? Most married people I know are so unhappy being locked in, they all want out. : )

QUOTE-And if you were paying attention, I pointed out that all sin effects all of society, not just the individual. Sin kills souls. It kills souls. This bears repeating. In today’s fuzzy-headed and militant pagan world, this crucial message has been lost, stolen, deliberately buried.

The message has been lost, and the catholic church is also to blame. How many people have left the church or lost their faith because of all the priest/child molestation that has gone on over the last decade? And the inability of the catholic church to not prosecute their own (Roger Mahone)? A crime against a child (by a priest no less) is the ultimate sin, terrible!!.

You cannot change the outside world when you refuse to change things in your own home.

The shutting down of catholic orphanages is a very interesting topic to me. Can you give me the details surrounding the reasons why this orphanage was shut down? Many were shut down for good reasons.

For instance, they shut down catholic orphanages.

Right, I’m not seeing the link between gay marriage and orphanages shutting down here. The two seem completely unrelated to me.

AT the risk of just angering more people I’d like to post this bit of humor I found. :slight_smile:

1. Being gay is not natural. Real people always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
  1. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
  1. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
  1. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
  1. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
  1. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.
  1. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
  1. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in the world.
  1. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
  1. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans…

Which is why envy of possessions, wives, using God’s name in vain, not honoring one’s parents, not keeping the Sabbath, worshipping other Gods, and adultery are sinful.
Stealing, killing, and lying under oaths are nearly universally rejected.

In our society the majority has the right to decide what is in its best interests. If the majority decide that “gay” marriage is unhealthy then so be it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.