Defending Christian Faith ETC

Here’s my question: How does one defend Christianity, or religion in general, from the attack that Christians committed genocide against the native Americans when they settled in the Americas from Europe, and therefore Christianity is evil?

Easy. The fact that Christians are not regularly and as a matter of course commiting genocide in the name of Christianity today means that the “genocide” that occured at that time must not have been as a result of something inherent in Christianity, but was due to other factors specific to that time, such as racism or unbridled expansionism. Hope that helps.

Religion is not evil!!! It is a fallacy to say that just because a group of Christians committed something evil therefore all Christians are evil. It’s like saying all Muslims are evil because of 9-11. Most mega million murders have been committed by Atheist /secular groups.

[quote=ej1111]Here’s my question: How does one defend Christianity, or religion in general, from the attack that Christians committed genocide against the native Americans when they settled in the Americas from Europe, and therefore Christianity is evil?
[/quote]

I’ve always found that a bit of a tiresome argument. The Catholic priests (of whatever order) usually attempted to PROTECT the Native Americans (North and South American) from their own fellow Europeans. Also, at least the Light of the Gospel came thereby to this hemisphere. According to natives’ own testimony, when the Pyramid of the Sun was dedicated in Tenochtitlan (Mexico City), so many people were sacrificed that the entire pyramid was completely covered with blood and blood ran away into the streets of the city.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.