Defending the faith in public

So, I’m at a burger joint eating breakfast and a couple of gentlemen sat in the booth in front of me. I normally bring my bible to read when I eat out, and was reading Mathew at the spot where Jesus talks about divorce. Just before that spot, I overheard one of them talking about how it was ridicoules for his 70 year old friend to be filing for divorce after all of these years. I asked him if that old guy read the bible, and he told me that the bible is fiction just like a lot of other books… I simply stated in an alarmed, yet calm voice, “really?”, then proceded to ask him what he does for a living. He tells me he works at home, and obviously didn’t want to carry on the conversation. I told him that I too am self employed.

Well, I didn’t feel like eating the rest of the meal in that persons company, so opted to leave, and upon exiting, I told him that every person you meet in public is a potential client and that you shouldn’t be insulting them, that he should remember that. His friend chuckled about it, and the guy murmered something in regards to what he’d say if he “really” wanted to insult me, … I just picked up my bible, showed him it’s cover, and walked away. I think my point was made quite clear, hopefully he’s going to think twice before spouting off insults at our faith in the future, for that very much did put him into his place, and did so with a to the point, yet gentle manner, rather then trading insults…

I don’t see the insult. He was sharing his “faith,” in a sense. He was ignorant but it’s like like he said all Christians are idiots and need to take a long walk off a short pier.

Good for you! That must have taken a lot of courage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.