Defending the priesthood.

Why did Jesus say to Peter in John 21:15-17;

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He then said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, "Do you love me? " and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” (Jesus) said to him, “Feed my sheep.”???

Why does Jesus need a “middle man” to watch us and teach us until He comes again? Can’t Jesus just do it Himself? What can Peter do that Jesus can’t? Why would Jesus leave Peter of all people in charge?

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Looking forward to the debate in this thread.

:nerd:
Mind if I keep watch on this one?

Why do we need a middleman? Why can’t we go directly to God?

In other words, “Why do we need the Church?”

Well, Christ set it up that way. I just trust in him that he knows best and has his reasons for doing it that way, for breathing on the disciples, saying to receive the Holy Spirit and proceeding to give them, and only them, authority to forgive sins…and to Peter, the keys to the Kingdom with power and authority, leadership, in Christ’s absence so that his Church would have a leader.

Christ told Peter to strengthen his bretheren, the apostles…

We need the apostles…Peter…the descendents of Peter and the apostles to carry on. That was Christ’s design. Who are we to then reject the representatives Christ set up? We were told that who accepts Christ’s representatives accepts Christ, who rejects them, rejects Christ AND the one who sent Christ!

So, we must NOT reject Christ’s representatives. They act with divine authority, unlike many others.

Jesus doesn’t do needless things.

The 2nd time Jesus asks Simon do you love me, and Simon responds in the affirmative, Jesus then says to Simon ,John 21:16

The Greek word there is ποίμαινε (poimaino) = shepherd, tend, rule, govern

Since Jesus is giving this commission directly to Peter, in front of all the apostles, there is no one on the planet exempt from Simon’s responsibility. Unless of course people after being given the truth, choose not to be shepherded and governed by Simon Peter. All that shows is that those people are not Our Lord’s sheep.

Sure looks like the beginnings of the papacy :slight_smile:

Indeed. My question of 'why does Jesus need a “middle-man” is rhetorical (being that I am Catholic). This whole thread is in response to the claim of cguerber that we do not need a priesthood. I hope he joins the debate. Thank you for participating!

Can anyone here consecrate the Eucharist? Just wondering.

Amen! Everything Jesus did, he did for a reason. :slight_smile:

No. My understanding only priests. When they are ordained, their hands are even specially blessed for that task, and priviledge.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.