Defendng the Faith

Can anyone tell me why I should believe in the RCC? I think I know but in Texas there are so many other churches.

The sacrements. No other church confers all the sacrements on the devout. The scholarship (for those who are learned in thier faith) is second to none. The universal appeal of the Church. I can go just about anywhere on earth and find a Church in union with Rome. The penguins in Antartica even attend mass on sunday. There are more reasons that can be counted. These are just a few.

There is little reason, they fall into the same error of the Jews before Christ. They think that it is works that save someone (though they do say “we can only do this by the grace of God,” but honestly it sounds really hollow), Many tend to be arrogant, feeling they are superior because they are Catholic…

My advice would be to start looking at mainstream protestant churches, namely:

Baptist
Methodist
Presbyterian
Episcopal

Most of the theological differences are very minor, so by sticking to those names you can avoid most heresies, but still, some mainstream protestant churches can be dead, so look for one where both the pastor and the members conduct themselves with love towards all.

That would be my advice to you.

I can tell why you should believe the Gospel. The RCC does not Save, The Gospel of Jesus does.

God is Holy and cannot allow sin in His presence. Sin separates us from God

All humanity is dead and trespasses and sin from Adams and Eve’s fall in the Garden.

Jesus paid the penalty for sin by dying on the cross on our behalf.

We receive the Free Gift of eternal life by Faith.

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

The bible refers Catholicism not really verbally by is implied. I am not a great bible quoter so bare with me. Jesus once said to peter "you are a rock and on this I shall build A church. "

I encourage you not to be a separated brother but be part of the great big family. There are many great reasons why you should be catholic. I love this 1. You get to have the body and blood of Jesus. Every time I go to communion I really reflect on what Jesus has done for us and that He gave himself up for us. There are so many more reasons why to join. :slight_smile:

My only advice is if your going to look into Catholicism you have to go to where the Truth about the Church is. You have to go talk to Catholics. Go to a mass ask questions of the priest. They’ll probably suggest RCIA classes. Which if you want to know about the faith is another great place to start.

Good grief! Do you want the whole list right this minute.

Let me just share with you my personal reasons for being Catholic.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][size=4]My Testimony[/size][/FONT]

If you like audio, Fr Altier talks about the Fundamentals of Catholicism trueteaching.net/

For written, try the Q & A format of Radio Replies icatholicism.com/apologetics/radio-replies.html

Why should you believe the Catholic Church? The only reason why *anything *should be believed – because it’s true!

I’m a convert from evangelical Protestantism, and depending on the church I was attending at the time, the Catholic Church was either the Whore of Babylon or a misguided church or something in between. I always got my information about Catholic teaching second-hand from Protestant sources, which I assumed to be trustworthy, but it wasn’t until I started learning Catholic teaching from Catholic sources that I discovered something curious about Protestant sources: in *every *instance where Catholic teaching was “refuted,” it wasn’t actually the true Catholic teaching that was being refuted, but the Protestant *misrepresentation *of that teaching that was refuted. This was a consistent pattern I noticed, no matter the source. And I began to wonder – if Catholic teaching is so blatantly false and unbiblical, why is it necessary to twist the teaching in order to “disprove” it?

I would recommend you take advantage of the many resources on the Catholic Answers website to learn more about the Catholic faith. Some books I read that helped me were

*Faith of Our Fathers *by James Cardinal Gibbons
*Rome Sweet Home *by Scott and Kimberly Hahn
*Surprised by Truth *by Patrick Madrid
*Evangelical is Not Enough *by Thomas Howard (written while he was still an Anglican, but he does an excellent job explaining the “sacramental principal” behind Catholic practice and belief)

Be careful the Catholic sources you select, because not everything that calls itself “Catholic” is faithful to the true teaching of the Church. This is a sad reality today. Stick with Catholic Answers, Ignatius Press and other orthodox sources.
God bless you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.