Definition of Modernism

This was a question that I really tried to answer. How does one recognize a modernist heresy? I read Pius X encyclical on modernism but still found it difficult to apply it. It is now 100 years later and the error must be still the same. I work with someone who attends SSPX masses and the charge of Modernism is applied often to those not connected to the SSPX.
I am not sure where I heard it but someone gave a definition for Modernism that brought all things together for me.

Modernism is denial of the supernatural

Any view,ideology,practice etc. can be examined through that lens.
stjulie

My Parish…

You beat me by Three minutes!!! :thumbsup:

I was going to say The Catholic Community I left two years ago.

Thank YOU Holy Lord!

I asked a priest from my Parish to bless my home and he looked at me like I was crazy, I asked a different priest to enroll me into the brown scapular and do the investiture and he literally tried to talk me out of it. I’ve all but written off confession there because I’m basically told everything I do isn’t a sin, even though I KNOW it’s a sin, that’s why I’m confessing it…

I would leave, but my son goes to school there and the Parish priest really is a good guy I have a good repore with, I don’t agree with his teachings, but he has a very good heart, I feel like I would hurt his feelings, plus I think I may be able change the tide even a little bit. Although going forward I think I plan on doing a Mass at my Parish with my family then a TLM afterwards alone so I can get my fix (I’m going to try one this Sunday)…

A priest with a truly good heart is the soil to plant the seeds!!!

Pray for him, slip him a Green Scapular. Show him (which you are already, good job) that the Catholic way is THE way.

But mostly Pray, Pray, Pray!!!

The parish I left just installed a crucifix behing the altar. Miracles do happen.

And especially when you attend the TLM! Pray hard that he will be enlightened!

Here’s how I would simply define “modernism” and similar terms that get tossed around a lot:

Liberalism: “I am a free thinker. This article of faith is unreasonable to me, therefore I reject it without any effect on my conscience.”

Modernism: “Modern man is superior, more advanced, and wiser than those who came before. This article of faith is contrary to the more advanced and enlightened modern sensibilities of the world, therefore I reject it and the Church should too.”

Post-Modernism: “Whatever…”

Read Pope St. Pius X’s encyclical Pascendi Dominici Gregis after first reading the “Modernism” Catholic Encyclopedia article.

Modernism is whatever a self-identified traditionalist doesn’t like.

Quite a trite remark about what Pope St. Pius X called the “synthesis of all heresies.”

Not really.

Modernism WAS a problem at the time of Pius X. Many Orthodox, btw, say that ECUMENISM is the great pan-heresy.

I don’t keep up with trendiness in theological and academic circles, but I don’t think that what St. Pius X condemned as “modernism” is what the problem is today.

And too many times, I’ve seen the term “modernism” (which the pope used in a specific sense) used as a general perjorative for what the speaker doesn’t like–just like “ecumenism” gets used by his Orthodox counterpart.

http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/mahoney.jpg

I guess I thought that calling a specific clergyman a heretic - as the above picture clearly does, Modernism having been identified in this thread as a heresy - was against forum rules.

Well; I’m glad you made this point because I too think placing this picture of a clergyman here is held in extreme bad taste. Rather Un-Christian if you ask me. But that’s just my opinion.

At the risk of stirring up the pot, who is the bishop in the picture?

I’m merely seeking information.

Cardinal Mahony of Los Angeles, Not a friend of “Traditional Catholics” describing the Latin Mass :“The Tridentine Mass was meant for those who could not make the transition from Latin to English [or other languages] after the Council. But there is no participation by the people, and I don’t believe that instills the spirit of Christ among us.”

He has had a few other incidents as well

Well it’s perfectly clear then. Pope St. Pius X was one of them self-identified traditionalists that St Athanasius warned us about.

“Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ.” - St. Athanasius, AD 373

And look here, he even admitted he was one.

“Indeed, the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators: they are traditionalists.”

• Pope St. Pius X, Notre Charge Apostolique

I’ll be doggone. Only Pope canonized in nearly the last 500 years was a trad.:yup:

Imagine a 15 year old Catholic who has never been to a Mass other than the Novus Ordo, and see’s or hears those words. The young Catholic may believe the guy knows what he’s talking about. After all, he’s a Cardinal.

Now look at the words of this Cardinal.

“In recent times, even in materialist North America, the growth of the Church was magnificent with the liturgy being kept in Latin. The attempts of the Protestants have failed, and Protestantism uses the vernacular. We ask again: Why the change, especially since changes in this matter involve many difficulties and great dangers? All of us here at the Council can recall the fundamental changes in the meaning of words in common use. Thus it follows that if the Sacred Liturgy were in the vernacular, the immutability of doctrine would be endangered.
The introduction of the vernacular should be separated from the action of the Mass. The Mass must remain as it is. Grave changes in the liturgy introduce grave changes in dogmata.”
-James Cardinal McIntyre(GRHS) addressing the Second Vatican Council.

Take a look around. Which Cardinal knows what he’s talking about ?

Imagine being a nineteen year old college student attending a Dominican Rite Mass and having your Priest read off that letter with a look of disgust on his face. Everyone at the Mass felt insulted.

I was lucky to have a very strong “traditionalist” friend to sponsor me during my RCIA program about a year and a half ago for my confirmation. I suppose he rubbed off on me.:thumbsup:

Fr. A. T. ?

Fr. A.P. Close friend, I get to meet Fr. A.T. when i go down to St.Alberts in November as part of the discernment process.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.