Degradation of Women?

I was reading a few of the articles on catholic answers…one about the Salvation Army. A commenter posted that she didn’t encourage her daughter to become catholic because she knew the degradation women had to go through who had led sordid lives…what does this mean?

Honestly, I have no idea. It may be that women cannot be ordained to the priesthood, which is very poorly misunderstood by many people, Catholic and non.

Stereotypes about Catholics seem to change with the times (and by place). Before feminism, in the US at least, Catholics were seen as morally loose - they drank, they danced, and they obviously liked sex because they had all these kids. Part of the disdain was also tied to the immigrant groups that tended to be predominantly Catholic. Irish and Italian were considered non-white.

After feminism, and the importance of “choice” - being a codeword for abortion “rights” - Catholics seem to get confused with hardline Protestant fundamentalists (the lack of knowledge about religion, at least in the US, is astounding). Any “restriction” on sexuality was instantly connected to the drudgery of being a barefoot and pregnant woman in the kitchen for 20 years.

I’ve been told I’m oppressed by simply being a Catholic woman ever since I converted, but I feel a lot freer. :shrug:

Thanks for the reply, it is amazing how much if religion or specific religions is misunderstood. I think the poster was catholic though and I think she was referring to a process they had to go through before they came catholic. I know you have to confess all sins but this is hardly degradation?

Unfortunately some people would think that it is degrading to go to confession. Also it used to be that a woman was automatically excommunicated when she has an abortion and would have to get permission from the Bishop to get un excommunicated but now they only have to go to a valid confession in order to break their excommunication. Some people misunderstand Rachel’s Vineyard retreats which are meant to provide healing to women by letting them speak openly and freely about their aborted children and give them names, etc.

The process for becoming Catholic does not differ due to the sex of a catechumen or candidate. Everyone goes through the same RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) classes unless they receive private instruction from a priest. I am a female convert. My “treatment” didn’t differ at all from the guys. I have no idea where this woman got such an idea. :confused: :shrug:

The only thing I can think of that she could possibly be referring to is that ordination is restricted to men only. I went through RCIA at a parish that was very liberal at the time. The then priest told me I’d make a good priest since I was so knowledgeable, but in reality, being a priest requires much more than that. I suppose he was trying to make me feel welcome as a woman, but it was totally unnecessary. I never felt any deprivation because I cannot be ordained. There are many ways for lay people to serve in the Church apart from ordination. No one who wants to teach or assist at Mass is turned away because of their sex. So again, I’m puzzled by the woman’s comments, which I can only chalk up to either ignorance or agenda pushing.

I agree with previous posters who mentioned that this is either a very misinformed person or someone with an agenda. One of those who has the belief of “I’ve made up my mind, don’t confuse me with facts.”

It unfortunate this person calls themselves Catholic because you who are seeking the faith may become misinformed.

Besides confession, there really isn’t anything else one must do (besides the RCIA process, but this is regardless of prior sins).

See Catechism of the Catholic Church’s official position on smoking, drinking, etc. is the following:

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

So no, the Catholic Church doesn’t encourage these things. If there are individual Catholics who drink to excess and such, it should NOT be considered a reflection on the Church, itself.

I think she meant that this was a misconception that some had about the Church…not that the Church actually endorses such things.

Yes, I am aware of the teaching. But there is nothing wrong with enjoying a few drinks, or dancing, or sex. These things are good when used appropriately. To a society that had its mores shaped largely by Puritanism, where all bodily enjoyment is seen as evidence of sin, Catholics were seen as morally loose for doing any of these things - especially if they came from certain immigrant groups.

I find it deeply ironic that we are now seen as the uptight ones.

Exactly.:thumbsup:

OP: I think the “degradation” stuff is feminist spout-off that’s pretty unfounded and shows real unfamiliarity with real-life Catholic churches.

In all the churches I’ve attended, they’re run by women. The priest officiates the mass; that’s it.

LOL This reminds me of my mother. She decorates her Parish, is a Extraordinary minister of the Eucharist, reads occasionally, is on the Parish counsel, distributes the Eucharist to the home-bound, runs several bible studies, and teaches CCD. Father always says he might have to shut down the parish is she ever moved away or passed away.

Although women cannot become priests, they still have an important role in the Church. Women are the visible symbol of the Church, the eternal Bride of Jesus Christ. Traditional Catholics consider it inappropriate for women to be EMHCs, readers, and servers, because women’s role is different. To them, women should not be involved in this roles to show that as women, we don’t always need to be “doing” something; we can just BE vessels of grace. (This is why I do not participate in active ministry in church.)

Wives are called to be subject to their husbands; this is true. However, this doesn’t mean that wives are called to be doormats and just do whatever their husbands want. People who believe this forget that St. Paul said, “The head of the woman is the man, and the Head of the man is Christ, and the Head of Christ is God.” Therefore, if a man exercises poor stewardship of his family, he still has to answer to HIS Boss. It’s a poor husband who would not consider the counsel of his wife when deciding what is best for the family. This is not to say that a wife can’t take over much of the day-to-day running of the household; many women do such jobs as paying the bills, organizing the social calendar, keeping track of the children’s activities, etc. However, the wife should never presume that SHE is the head of the household - this role rightly belongs to her husband. Wives are called to be submissive to their husbands as the Church is submissive to Christ, and husbands are called to love their wives as Christ loves the Church, and be prepared to lay down their lives for their wives as Christ laid down His life for the Church.

I’m married, and I submit to my husband, but he carefully considers my counsel in all things. I treat him with the respect due his headship, but he treats me like a queen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.