Degrees for Priests

What are some good under-grad degrees/minors for someone wanting to be a priest(besides theology)? My parents are saying that I should consider a business degree, and I agree, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Philosophy or Spanish if you are in the U.S.

Psychology might be helpful.

I'd suggest counseling with a minor in nonprofit management.

I’d suggest counseling with a minor in nonprofit management.

You don’t want to major in theology. Most of the theology you learn in an average university would be different–purely scholastic, not sacerdotal or pastoral.

To meet the requirement for the last four years of priestly studies (theology), the following requirements usually must be met:
[LIST]
*]30 credits philosophy
*]12 credits theology
*]3 credits anthropology
*]3-9 credits latin/greek
*]3-9 credits modern language (recommended)
[/LIST]
This may vary depending on your diocese (or order). If you don’t meet these requirements, you will be assigned by your superior to start pre-theology studies. This is the equivalent of a B.A. in Philosophy, with elementary greek and latin, and introductions to theology.

The diocese or order will pay for pre-theology and theology studies, as long as you’re assigned to do so by your superior.

When pursuing your undergraduate degree, you may wish to fulfill the requirements above for a B.A. in Philosophy (if possible). If not, I would recommend that you pursue study in business, management, psychology, languages, or anything else that suits you.

Ultimately: the degree is not important. If you don’t meet the requirements, you’ll fulfill them in pre-theology.

I would like to point out that this is not always the case in a diocese. For example, the Diocese of Buffalo does not fully pay for your undergraduate or graduate studies.:shrug:

[quote="Lamentation, post:7, topic:330790"]
I would like to point out that this is not always the case in a diocese. For example, the Diocese of Buffalo does not fully pay for your undergraduate or graduate studies.:shrug:

[/quote]

Never heard of that before. I've always seen that graduate is fully paid, as long as the person carries through and is ordained :eek:

It can be anything. One of the priests at my home parish majored in CS and only got a minor in theology (and even then because he had most of the classes already)

Okay Thanks,
Would it be a good idea to get a degree in Social Work?

It would be prudent to get a degree with whatever you feel will fit you the best if you do not end up a priest. Whether priest or not, you're still getting a life skill out of college... Why not gain one that fits you as an individual?

[quote="Domini_cane, post:10, topic:330790"]
What are some good under-grad degrees/minors for someone wanting to be a priest(besides theology)? My parents are saying that I should consider a business degree, and I agree, but does anyone have any other ideas?

[/quote]

Would it be a good idea to get a degree in Social Work?

I agree with Lamentations that it would be prudent to get a degree which will be of use if you don't end up a priest. That said pretty much anything is, or can be worthwhile for priestly ministry. Priests / seminarians I know have studied things like: music, engineering, law, business, aviation, accounting, psychology, education, science and languages. Social work could be particularly useful, but then so could business or pretty much anything! So really, I'd say just go with what interests you.

-

Given that a priest is basically the CEO of his parish, I think a business degree could be pretty helpful in running the financial end of things in a parish.

Life experience to me is the MOST important degree for priesthood there is and the most ignored and under appreciated, for you will deal with a lot of “life” when you have to deal with normal people in a parish. More blue collar folks than elites. If you want to have a degree, get a law degree take all the hard courses you can. Math Sciences, chemistry I would take all the hard degrees I could incase I want to go to Vet school or med school if I got drummed out or discern that priesthood isn’t my call. Two schools of thought on degrees and college, one is college was meant to be for elevated thinking and learning, more modern thought is to make a large living. what is your objective if you don’t make it though seminary? then once you address that, you can decipher which degree you want to shoot for. but take the hard ones so that you can later in life not have to take as many perquisites and get to the meat and potatoes faster if you want to do something else someday. you may be young, but 40s chase you faster and faster and faster , and the huge focus in this country on youth, will prove to be disheartening when you get in your 40s as you are thrown away like yesterday’s newspaper.

[quote="Joannm, post:13, topic:330790"]
Given that a priest is basically the CEO of his parish, I think a business degree could be pretty helpful in running the financial end of things in a parish.

[/quote]

Our pastor has a degree in Accounting. :thumbsup:

Anything. There are some priests who are scientists. When you enter the seminary you'll have to do your prerequisites before starting your core theology courses, but you can have an undergrad degree in anything.

I have found that in our diocese it seems that those priests who have business backgrounds are appointed pastors more quickly after ordination. Perhaps the bishop feels they have the know-how to run a parish effectively.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.