Degrees Of Sin...

Hi,

If mortal sin is mortal sin what advantage is it to stop a mortal sin once sinned?

If I commit a mortal sin that could be a “worse” mortal sin… why stop?

More to point is there some advantage to responding to the grace that stops one from progressing?

As I type this I am seeing the answer but will continue to get your input!

Blessings!

EP

Such is against the God and more and more against God whom we should love and not separate ourselves from…such cause greater and greater spiritual damage and consequences to ones soul via punishments that are from the sins etc …the more and more one lives a life of mortal sin the more and more difficult it can be to respond to God and repent …the vice grows and grows…etc

Advantage?

The above does not happen…

Ones risk of Hell is replaced with joy and grace.

One can more easily be returned to where one was on the path of holiness…etc etc

So much could be said - but I do not have much time.

One repents and by grace and the Sacrament of Confession is returned to “true life”!!!

Even if one has been in a life of moral sin - do not delay - turn back to God - repent and believe the Good News and encounter the Divine Mercy of God - the Sacrament of Confession where Jesus washes one in his blood and gives one* true life. *

No matter though were a person is on that road away from God…

“Repent” and turn to Jesus

“Jesus is called the Lamb: He is the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world. Someone might think: but how can a lamb, which is so weak, a weak little lamb, how can it take away so many sins, so much wickedness? With Love. With his meekness. Jesus never ceased being a lamb: meek, good, full of love, close to the little ones, close to the poor. He was there, among the people, healing everyone, teaching, praying. Jesus, so weak, like a lamb. However, he had the strength to take all our sins upon himself, all of them.
“But, Father, you don’t know my life: I have a sin that…, I can’t even carry it with a truck…”.
Many times, when we examine our conscience, we find some there that are truly bad! But he carries them. He came for this: to forgive, to make peace in the world, but first in the heart. Perhaps each one of us feels troubled in his heart, perhaps he experiences darkness in his heart, perhaps he feels a little sad over a fault… He has come to take away all of this, He gives us peace, he forgives everything. “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away sin”: he takes away sin, it’s root and all! This is salvation Jesus brings about by his love and his meekness. And in listening to what John the Baptist says, who bears witness to Jesus as the Saviour, our confidence in Jesus should grow. Many times we trust a doctor: it is good, because the doctor is there to cure us; we trust in a person: brothers and sisters can help us. It is good to have this human trust among ourselves. But we forget about trust in the Lord: this is the key to success in life. Trust in the Lord, let us trust in the Lord! “Lord, look at my life: I’m in the dark, I have this struggle, I have this sin…”; everything we have: “Look at this: I trust in you!”. And this is a risk we must take: to trust in Him, and He never disappoints.”

~Pope Francis

vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/homilies/2014/documents/papa-francesco_20140119_omelia-parrocchia-sacro-cuore-gesu_en.html

"Jesus is the “Good Shepherd” who goes in search of lost sheep, who knows his sheep and lays down his life for them (cf. Mt 18:12-14; Lk 15:4-7; Jn 10:2-4, 11-18). He is the way, the right path that leads us to life (cf. Jn 14:6), the light that illuminates the dark valley and overcomes all our fears (cf. Jn 1:9; 8:12; 9:5; 12:46).

He is the generous host who welcomes us and rescues us from our enemies, preparing for us the table of his body and his blood (cf. Mt 26:26-29; Mk 14:22-25); Lk 22:19-20) and the definitive table of the messianic banquet in Heaven (cf. Lk 14:15ff; Rev 3:20; 19:9). He is the Royal Shepherd, king in docility and in forgiveness, enthroned on the glorious wood of the cross (cf. Jn 3:13-15; 12:32; 17:4-5)."

~Pope Benedict XVI

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2011/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20111005_en.html

"I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting him encounter them; I ask all of you to do this unfailingly each day. No one should think that this invitation is not meant for him or her, since “no one is excluded from the joy brought by the Lord”.[1] The Lord does not disappoint those who take this risk; whenever we take a step towards Jesus, we come to realize that he is already there, waiting for us with open arms.

Now is the time to say to Jesus: “Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love, yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you. I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace”. How good it feels to come back to him whenever we are lost!

Let me say this once more: God never tires of forgiving us; we are the ones who tire of seeking his mercy.

Christ, who told us to forgive one another “seventy times seven” (Mt 18:22) has given us his example: he has forgiven us seventy times seven. Time and time again he bears us on his shoulders.

No one can strip us of the dignity bestowed upon us by this boundless and unfailing love. With a tenderness which never disappoints, but is always capable of restoring our joy, he makes it possible for us to lift up our heads and to start anew. Let us not flee from the resurrection of Jesus, let us never give up, come what will. May nothing inspire more than his life, which impels us onwards!"

~ Pope Francis

APOSTOLIC EXHORTATION
EVANGELII GAUDIUM

w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium.html#I.%E2%80%82A_joy_ever_new,_a_joy_which_is_shared

Well said and very eloquent.
Thanks for the inspirational post.

Mary.

What’s worse than a mortal sin? Two mortal sins!

A mortal sin is a direct rejection of God and God’s mercy. There are grave sins and if you engage in them deliberately (which is what is meant by having full consent of the will and complete knowledge), then it is mortal. This is simply an acknowledgment that even after someone has been a faithful Catholic for years, they can still find life sways their faith to the point that they say “Screw you. I’m doing what I want.”

We definitely obsess about sexual sin a lot. And, by that, we treat sexual sin as this mortal sin we fall into against our wills. We slip into it. But that’s not the case with mortal sin. There is no slipping into mortal sin. If you’re trying to live a chaste life and struggling with self-mastery, how can you ever say that what you do in a moment of weakness involved full consent of the will. Do you realize that as you get aroused, parts of your brain turn off? It’s the same with anger. If people don’t manage their anger well enough, they will engage in violent behavior. Lecturing them on “That’s immoral” does nothing within that moment because it all comes down to recognizing when you’re letting your passions get to high. It’s a skill.

So there’s a great difference between someone who slips into sin because they do not know how to remain self aware and master themselves and someone who just says “Hey, I like this. I know it’s wrong. I don’t care. I’m going to do it anyway.” As in they decide this not in the heat of the moment. They make a plan. It’s premeditated.

And yeah, maybe this breaks our image of the whole world going to hell in a handbasket. But here’s the catch. If you’re whining about a bunch of people falling into sins your denying yourself and are reacting with “Well, that’s not fair. Those are just venial sexual sins that they’re confessing regularly? I want in.” Well, welcome to being the son who got mad at the father for celebrating the return of the prodigal son. Now go to confession for your jealousy and your covetousness.

Point is, if your going to confession regularly and living a sacramental life, you’ll still commit sins, probably even sometimes serious ones because you’re weak and human. Some venial sins are minor in nature. Some are venial because you’re still working on the self mastery thing. But if you tell yourself that they’re mortal sins, than your spiritual pride will eat you up. Oh, there’s another sin to confess.

It takes only one mortal sin to cast one into HELL! Having said that the reason why one should not multiply mortal sins is because then one may fall into the UNPARDONABLE sin.

There is no such thing as an unpardonable sin.
Also the concept of a “multiplication” of sin is news to me.

I believe the poster is speaking of Matthew 12 regarding the unpardonable sin.

Therefore, I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit* will not be forgiven.

NAB footnote: * [12:31] Blasphemy against the Spirit: the sin of attributing to Satan (Mt 12:24) what is the work of the Spirit of God (Mt 12:28).

usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/index.cfm

Catechism

1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1864

Probably be harder to repent the more mortal sins you commit.

Really that definition could apply to LOTS of things.

That’s not true. A single mortal sin and as many mortal sins as you’d like to commit are treated equally.

Actually, I need to clarify that. They are equal if you don’t repent. But if you play with your genitalia and don’t repent, then that is worse than massacring as many people as you could possibly manage and repenting.

Funny old system, isn’t it…

No that is not true. They are not. They are not treated equally. Even if you do not repent.

Neither when one mortal sin is compared to another …nor a single committing of a mortal sin is compared with committing it many times.

(thankfully though the Mercy of God - can give true life to even the most serious sinner who repents…though more temporal effects can remain for him after he is forgiven than another…)

If we take a look at Dante’s Inferno, in his view, mortal sins have unequal degrees in evil and culpability, which is why hell is poetical divided into nine levels, each with different punishments, the punishments meant to be the experience of the sin’s true nature, without other circumstances walling off the consequences.

Interestingly enough, he thinks sins of simply lust are at the top of hell: that is, they are the least culpable. Maybe because of how powerful -and thus enslaving- the sexual passions can be?

I do agree with you that there is a sense in which mortal sins are treated equally, since all of them by nature act directly against the love of God, making a man’s end a creature rather than his Creator, but there are other senses where they are not.

And this isn’t odd either, that a variety of different crimes with different degrees of seriousness are punishment similarly, since we punish many different crimes in the same way. All of what these crimes, such as murder, kidnapping, rape, robbery, etc. have in common is that they make one unfit to partake in the community, and so they are walled off from it, exiled, in a sense. Since mortal sins by their nature act against charity, and, as St. Augustine notes, the Kingdom is held together by the glue that is charity, by acting against charity one is unfit to partake in the City of God, and so is exiled from it. That is why these different sins have a similar punishment.

Christi pax.

Lets say we have a person that is constantly driven to lust and sexual sins, they are definitely guilty of that sin and it is serious, but what about all the good that person may do in their lifetime too, do they receive any kind of ‘recognition’ for these things or does their sin trump every thing good they have ever done?

And really I have a different take on the sin of lust, if a person is lusting after another, but is successful at resisting the urge to take things further, like trying to engage in physical sex with the object of their lust, in my opinion, that would be successfully resisting temptation to sin, however if lust by itself is a sin, that would imply temptation to sin is also an equal sin, but I do not think that is the case, Jesus was tempted by the devil for 40 days in the desert, but he resisted the urge to commit the sins he was being tempted with.

Lust is really temptation to commit sexual sins, its just thinking about it, dreaming about it, big difference to me from actually taking steps to make the lust come to fruition.

If God views temptation to sin the same as committing the actual sin…well we are all in trouble then!

*"However prayer, fasting, vigil and all the other Christian practices may be, they do not constitute the aim of our Christian life. Although it is true that they serve as the indispensable means of reaching this end, the true aim of our Christian life consists of the acquisition of the Holy Spirit of God. As for fasts, and vigils, and prayer, and almsgiving, and every good deed done for Christ’s sake, are the only means of acquiring the Holy Spirit of God. Mark my words, only good deeds done for Christ’s sake brings us the fruits of the Holy Spirit. All that is not done for Christ’s sake, even though it be good, brings neither reward in the future life nor the grace of God in this life. That is why our Lord Jesus Christ said: “He who does not gather with Me scatters” (Luke 11:23). Not that a good deed can be called anything but gathering, even though a deed is not done for Christ’s sake, it is still considered good. The Scriptures say: “In every nation he who fears God and does what is right is acceptable to Him” (Acts 10:35)…

“God the Word, the God-Man, our Lord Jesus Christ, compares our life with the market, and the work of our life on earth He calls trading. He says to us all: “Trade till I come” (Lk. 19:13), “buying up every opportunity, because the days are evil” (Ephesians 5:16). In other words, make the most of your time getting heavenly blessings through earthly goods. Earthly goods are good works done for Christ’s sake that confer the grace of the All-Holy Spirit, on us.”

“In the parable of the wise and foolish virgins, when the foolish ones ran short of oil, they were told: “Go and buy in the market.” But when they had bought it, the door of the bride-chamber was already shut and they could not get in. Some say that the lack of oil in the lamps of the foolish virgins means a lack of good deeds in their lifetime. Such an interpretation is not quite correct. Why should they be lacking in good deeds, if they are called virgins, even though foolish ones? Virginity is the supreme virtue, an angelic state, and it could take the place of all other good works.”

"I think that what they were lacking was the grace of the All-Holy Spirit of God. These virgins practiced the virtues, but in their spiritual ignorance they supposed that the Christian life consisted merely in doing good works. By doing a good deed they thought they were doing the work of God, but they cared little whether they acquired the grace of God’s Spirit. These ways of life, based merely on doing good, without carefully testing whether they bring the grace of the Spirit of God, are mentioned in the patristic books: “There is another way which is deemed good in the beginning, but ends at the bottom of hell.”

Anthony the Great in his letters to monks says of such virgins: “Many monks and virgins have no idea of the different kinds of will which act in man, and they do not know that we are influenced by three wills: the first is God’s all-perfect and all-saving will; the second is our own human will which, if not destructive, neither is it saving; and the third will is the devil’s will - wholly destructive.” This third will of the enemy prompts man to do any no good deeds, or to do them good out of vanity, or merely for virtue’s sake rather than for Christ’s sake. The second, our own will, prompts us to do everything to flatter our passions, or else it teaches us like the enemy, to do good for the sake of good and not care for the grace which is acquired by it. But the first, God’s all-saving will, consists in doing good solely to acquire the Holy Spirit, as an eternal, inexhaustible treasure which is priceless. The acquisition of the Holy Spirit is, in a manner of speaking, the oil, which the foolish virgins lacked. They were called foolish just because they had forgotten the necessary fruit of virtue, the grace of the Holy Spirit, , without which no one is or can be saved, for: “Through the Holy Spirit every soul is quickened and through purification is exalted and illumined by the Triune Unity in a Holy mystery.”

“The oil in the lamps of the wise virgins could burn brightly for a long time. So these virgins, with their bright lamps were able to meet the Bridegroom, who came at midnight. With Him, they could enter the bridal chamber of joy. But the foolish ones, though they went to market to buy more oil, when their lamps were going out, were unable to return in time, for the door was already shut. The market is our life; the door of the bridal chamber, which was shut and barred the way to the Bridegroom is human death; the wise and foolish virgins are Christian souls; the oil is not the good deeds, but the grace of the All-Holy Spirit of God which is obtained through good deeds and which changes souls from one state to another - such as, from a corruptible state to incorruptible state, from spiritual death to spiritual life, from darkness to light, from the stable of our being (where the passions are tied up like dumb animals and wild beasts) into a temple of the Divinity, the shining bridal chamber of eternal joy in Christ Jesus our Lord, the Creator, Redeemer and eternal Bridegroom of our souls.”*

fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/sermon_st_seraphim.htm

Just doing good doesn’t have us partake of the Spirit. We can do things without loving intentions, without regard to God. Do not the tax collectors and the pagans do the same?

Temptations are not sins, and disordered passions are not sins. It is volition that gives an act its moral dimension. Disordered passions however do eventually need to be corrected in order for us to be “perfect, as our Father in Heaven is Perfect.” Self mastery over the passions is necessary so that all of our person is aimed towards charity for our God and our neighbor. Otherwise, our will will move in one direction, one passion in another passion, yet another in another direction, and we will end up coming conflicted within ourselves.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear :wink:

Christi pax.

Masturbation is a mortal sin (assuming that you knew it was a sin and did it deliberately). The punishment is X.

Massacring a city full of people is a mortal sin. The punishment is Y.

On the assumption that there is no repentance in either situation, please tell me what X and Y are. If they turn out to be the same, then they are treated equally.

Well, lusting is essentially a temptation to sin, it is someone desiring and thinking about the physical sex act with another person…it is something they want to happen, however the bible says even lusting is a sin in itself, so imo, this implies, just being tempted to sin, is a sin.

I can think of numerous occasions when I have lusted after females I see in public, but thankfully I have self control and I guess you could say self mastery over my passions, in that I never try to approach or engage the female, in an attempt to make my desires happen, In other words, I let it go and forget about it, someone who does not have self mastery would likely approach the gal, try to get her phone number, ask her out, etc, they are taking steps to further their lust, trying to make it come to fruition, giving in to their temptations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.