Delingpole: Glacier National Park Removes ‘Glaciers Gone by 2020’ Signs

Delingpole: Glacier National Park Removes ‘Glaciers Gone by 2020’ Signs

FILE - This Sept. 4, 2017 file photo shows a view from the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park in Montana, with a lake ringed by mountains and tall trees. Glacier National Park officials are teed off over a report that tourists were hitting golf balls off Going-to-the-Sun Road during …

AP Photo/Beth J. Harpaz, File

JAMES DELINGPOLE

8 Jan 2020 Breitbart News

Glacier National Park is replacing signs predicting that its glaciers will be “gone by 2020.”

Sharp-eyed visitors have noticed that far from disappearing by 2020, some of them have actually increased in size, and 29 of the glaciers in the Montana park remain stubbornly unmelted, despite “climate change.”

The National Park Service (NPS) — presumably to hide its embarrassment — started removing the signs by stealth last year. . . .

. . . A spokeswoman for the Park, Gina Kurzman, has now confirmed the changes to CNN:

The signs in the Montana park were added more than a decade ago to reflect climate change forecasts at the time by the US Geological Survey . . .

However, even the altered signs are not accurate.

According to Roots — whose video documenting the changes can be viewed here — some of the most famous glaciers in the park have actually grown in the last decade . . . .

. . . the world’s glaciers began retreating in about 1820 (long before anthropogenic CO2 emissions could conceivably have made any difference to climate) as the planet started to emerge from the Little Ice Age.

1 Like

Okay, but this hardly means that God’s creation is not under stress and that we should ignore the plight of our environment.

1 Like

redal . . . .

this hardly means that God’s creation is not under stress and that we should ignore the plight of our environment.

(Yes but who in the world even says or thinks this??)

From Cathoholic’s article . . . .

Glacier National Park is replacing signs predicting that its glaciers will be “gone by 2020.”

29 of the glaciers in the Montana park remain stubbornly unmelted, despite “climate change.”

The National Park Service (NPS) — presumably to hide its embarrassment — started removing the signs by stealth last year. . . .

NOT From Cathoholic’s article . . . .

29 of the glaciers in the Montana park remain stubbornly unmelted, despite “climate change” so we now can all affirm God’s creation is not under stress.

The National Park Service (NPS) — presumably to hide its embarrassment — started removing the signs by stealth last year signalling we should ignore the plight of our environment.

3 Likes

No, it just menas we shouldn’t lie, embellish or fabricate to achieve our goals.

I wonder of the folks who object so strongly to Lifesite have the same issues here…

9 Likes

A couple of ‘then and now’ photographs of two of Glacier’s more famous glaciers.

GRINNELL GLACIER 1910 AND 2017

JACKSON GLACIER 1911 AND 2009

Who was measuring Glacier’s glaciers in 1820?

4 Likes

I’m wondering how 'sharp-eyed visitors could observe glaciers growing in size being that most of Glacier’s glaciers can’t be viewed from the one highway that traverses the park. You have to take a hike or a boat to see them. Also, glaciers can only accurately be photographed in late August and early September when the last season’s snow has melted and before the snows of the next winter.

Somethings amiss.

At any rate, here’s some more photographic evidence of Glacier’s shrinking glaciers.

BLACKFOOT AND JACKSON GLACIER 1914 AND 2009

BOULDER GLACIER 1932 AND 1988

https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/nature/melting-glaciers.htm

2 Likes

Tad. What are the month and day dates on those pics of yours above in the last two posts? (Remember. I am not asking when they can be “accurately phitographed”. I am asking when the photos you posted were photographed.)

Do you think the glaciers alluded to in my OP article are gone by 2020? (Remember. We are now in 2020.)

1 Like

It has to be late August or early September (after the snow from the prior winter has melted and before the snow of the coming winter falls) in the years listed above the photographs.

Some are gone.

BOULDER GLACIER 1932 AND 1988

George Grant, GNP Archives, 1932

Jerry DeSanto, K. Ross Toole Archives, 1988

This is one of the earliest photographs repeated from the park that shows the disappearance of glacial ice. It helped to start the current Repeat Photography Project. The 1932 photograph shows a guide, wearing chaps, and three clients next to the ice cave. This was one of the popular multiday routes during the heyday of horseback trips through the park and underscores the charisma that glaciers had for early park visitors. Boulder is now too small to be considered active.

1 Like

I didn’t ask when it “had to” be.

I asked when they were photographed. A very reasonable question.

Cathoholic to tad . . . .

Do you think the glaciers alluded to in my OP article are gone by 2020? (Remember. We are now in 2020.)

Tad’s reply?

Some are gone.

I did not ask if “some” glaciers are gone. They are.
I did not ask if some glaciers increase in size from time to time. They do.

I asked . . .

Historically and today, photographing the glaciers can only occur in a narrow window in late August and early September after the previous winter’s snow has melted from the ice and before the first snows of autumn. It is only in the late summer season that the glaciers can be clearly seen

I’m certain the exact dates are part of the scientific record and easily obtainable if you’re really interested.

Right, and I correctly answered that some of them are gone and as is evidenced by the photographic record. https://www.usgs.gov/centers/norock/science/repeat-photography-project?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

I’ve been visiting Glacier since my family moved to Montana in 1965. I’m still curious as to who these ‘sharp-eyed’ visitors and how they know the Glaciers of glacier are growing.

1 Like

Cathoholic . . .

Tad. What are the month and day dates on those pics of yours above in the last two posts? (Remember. I am not asking when they can be “accurately phitographed”. I am asking when the photos you posted were photographed.)

Tad . . .

It has to be late August or early September (after the snow from the prior winter has melted and before the snow of the coming winter falls) in the years listed above the photographs.

Cathoholic . . .

I didn’t ask when it “had to” be.

I asked when they were photographed. A very reasonable question.

tad . . .

I’m certain the exact dates are part of the scientific record and easily obtainable if you’re really interested.

Well tad. Since YOU are the one that posted them and this is “easy”, would you mind posting the information?

Edited.

You can make a thread and maybe you’ll find out.

Cathoholic to tad . . . .

Tad’s reply?

Some are gone.

I did not ask if “some” glaciers are gone. They are.
I did not ask if some glaciers increase in size from time to time. They do.

I asked . . .

tad . . .

Right, and I correctly answered that some of them are gone and as is evidenced by the photographic record . . .

OK tad.

Here again is my OP article.

Which glaciers in my OP article do you think you are alluding to?

And if the glaciers are now “gone” here in the OP article, WHY do you think they CHANGED THE SIGNS to now read (?) . . . .

Instead, the new signs will say: “When they will completely disappear depends on how and when we act. One thing is consistent: the glaciers in the park are shrinking.”

What caused the glaciers that created the Great Lakes to disappear? People forget that glacial activity increases and decreases over periods of time.

6 Likes

Yeah, I saw that, and for one, I don’t consider Breitbart a credible source nor their quoted, anonymous ‘sharp-eyed’ visitors.

The only grain of truth in this is that, yes, the NPS is changing their signage. The glaciers of Glacier aren’t gone…yet.

A very long amount of time.

It was a rhetorical question. I know the answer; those folks are inconsistent and unreliable when it comes to outrage. No need for another topic to clutter a board already rife with wasted space and pointless topics no one cares about.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.