Delivered from Masonry

I hope I might discuss important issues of faith with those who fail to see the incompatability of masonry and Holy Mother Church.

The Church teaches this incompatibility, and there is good reason. I was a 32 degree mason who repented and came home to the Catholic Church. Praise God!

Let’s be sure to keep our comments civilized. Jesus teaches us to love one another, and we’re all sinners.

I was baptized and confirmed Catholic. Altar boy. You get the idea…

Experimentation with generic spirituality- new age, eastern religions.

In college I took a misguided step into Masonry. I guess I was looking for “secrets,” and affiliation with something “ancient.” I had ancestors who were members- how bad could it be?

I was cautious, but very interested. I found some strangeness in the first three degrees (rituals), but I hadn’t seen anything that put up “red flags” of immediate warning yet. However, it did bother me, that a mason is charged to keep the secrets of his “brother mason”- even that they might be criminal- excluding treason and murder- which were optional secrets that a “brother” could choose to keep. But still, these guys were old and friendly. I was pretty sure there were no murderers in the group:)

So, I took the 4th through 32 degrees. It was then that the symbolism became very troubling. Not that it was visually jarring, but something inside me was very uneasy. I needed answers.

(For you masons reading this, I speak of the upper degrees of the Scottish especially the 32nd degree. You might consider the sybolism of the 32nd degree and think you have it figured out. Have you considered what it might mean regarding the war in heaven?)

So, needing answers, I sent an email to one of the most knowledgeable masons I knew. I sent the email twice, and received no resonse. I saw him at the pancake breakfast, and having prepared these questions already, I asked him point blank: “We profess a belief in a supreme being, as masons do we believe that there is a Devil?” Smile. Brief pause. I continued, "There are forces for good and evil in the world, and I need to know which we are calling the grand architect, etc. " He replies, “Yep, we need to know these things.” Smile, change of subject.

Unpleased with this exchange, I arranged a meeting with another mason versed in the Scottish Rite. After I explained that I had serious concerns with all of this, as my soul was on the line, his response to me was: “Do you remember the 32nd degree?” I said, “Yes, that’s the problem.” I asked about occult theology, Albert Pike’s description of masonic light being from lucifer, and other abominations of belief that I was witnessing in this “inner symbolism.” The scottish rite fellow told me that I could leave whenever I wanted after filling out a document, but not to discuss this with the other brothers in the Lodge.

Prayer, prayer, and prayer. I prayed for God to please make the truth known to me. After quite a while when I submitted myself wholly to the Lord, He guided me back to the Catholic Church. A slow and real conversion with many wonders I will testify to in another entry if possible. Glory to God!!

Very subtly, in masonry, a soul is guided away from humility and from the Blessed Trinity. God’s grace and submission to our Catholic faith brings us closer to the Lord. Gnosticism and secret oaths when coupled with occult theology is quite the opposite.

We must pray for these souls that the Holy Spirit will guide them and deliver them.

-Christ warned of oaths and business done in secret…
-The masons consider receiving the masonic apron to be an honor greater than all others including (and specifically cited) pontiff or potentate.
-A large amount of apocolyptic smbolism in the advanced degrees- certainly more than one would expect of a “fraternity” that claims no official religious doctrine. This should cause one to pause and consider the effect of this symbolism on the soul.
-Catholic candidates are not warned by masons that joining the “fraternity” is against Catholic teaching.
-Albert Pike, a masonic scholar, describes masonic light as coming from lucifer. Numerous encylicals and non-offical books contain a large amount of occult theology, and reference to ritual as magic.

Don’t be deceived any longer. **The bible tells us that Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light. **

Pause. Pray. ** Tell the Lord that you will leave this “fraternity” if it is His will. ** Open your eyes and heart to the Holy Spirit that you will be guided to the most compassionate heart of Jesus. He saves the sinners. Even me. Even you.

I hope this message finds you well, and helps readers to understand the fundamental differences between Holy Mother Church and the deceptions that exist in secret societies.

God Bless

Quite an interesting post! Thank you for opening up a very small bit of this secret society.

When I was growing up, the father of a friend of mine was a Mason and my friend became a member of Demolay (SP?) Is this a part of the mason organization?

From them, I came to understand that the Masons are a philanthropic organization, but that is about it. They would not answer any more questions. How close is this to the truth?
Subrosa

I would be interested in hearing anything else you know on this subject! I dont know many of the facts… my grandfather is a 33rd degree in the Scottish rite.
I guess I just want to learn more (good or bad) because I dont know much.

[quote=Subrosa]Quite an interesting post! Thank you for opening up a very small bit of this secret society.

When I was growing up, the father of a friend of mine was a Mason and my friend became a member of Demolay (SP?) Is this a part of the mason organization?

From them, I came to understand that the Masons are a philanthropic organization, but that is about it. They would not answer any more questions. How close is this to the truth?
Subrosa
[/quote]

I doubt it there is very much philanthropic about them.
I assume you know its a mortal sin to belong to the Freemasons.

[quote=sambar]I would be interested in hearing anything else you know on this subject! I dont know many of the facts… my grandfather is a 33rd degree in the Scottish rite.
I guess I just want to learn more (good or bad) because I dont know much.
[/quote]

Well I heard that 33 is the higest level, and that they choose that number to represent the years that Jesus stayed on earth.(not for the love of Christ, but as mockery)
There are plenty of resources inline, and your forbidden to be a mason in the Catholic Church, you can’t serve two masters.

[quote=Eireann]Well I heard that 33 is the higest level, and that they choose that number to represent the years that Jesus stayed on earth.(not for the love of Christ, but as mockery)
There are plenty of resources inline, and your forbidden to be a mason in the Catholic Church, you can’t serve two masters.
[/quote]

Hello Eireann! My father-in-law is a mason…and before I met my husband he considered joining. They are of the Baptist faith. Is it wrong for any Christian to be a mason…or do protestants have no trouble with it? I am really confused and when my husband asked me I was unable to give him any clear explanation as to why it is unallowed…save to say that the mason’s began as an anti-catholic organization…today they appear as a “men’s club” kinda like what Fred Flinstone attends…

[quote=thistle] I assume you know its a mortal sin to belong to the Freemasons.
[/quote]

Depends on your knowledge and state of mind. From the CCC:

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”

1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

[quote=Lillith]Hello Eireann! My father-in-law is a mason…and before I met my husband he considered joining. They are of the Baptist faith. Is it wrong for any Christian to be a mason…or do protestants have no trouble with it? I am really confused and when my husband asked me I was unable to give him any clear explanation as to why it is unallowed…save to say that the mason’s began as an anti-catholic organization…today they appear as a “men’s club” kinda like what Fred Flinstone attends…
[/quote]

Ignore this question…I just looked at the thread who are the freemasons :smiley:

[quote=Lillith]Hello Eireann! My father-in-law is a mason…and before I met my husband he considered joining. They are of the Baptist faith. Is it wrong for any Christian to be a mason…or do protestants have no trouble with it? I am really confused and when my husband asked me I was unable to give him any clear explanation as to why it is unallowed…save to say that the mason’s began as an anti-catholic organization…today they appear as a “men’s club” kinda like what Fred Flinstone attends…
[/quote]

vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_08121892_custodi-di-quella-fede_en.html

Christian Response to Masonry

1. Those who, by some supreme misfortune, have given their name to one of these societies of perdition should know that they are strictly bound to separate themselves from it. Otherwise they must remain separated from Christian communion and lose their soul now and for eternity. Parents, teachers, godparents, and whoever has care of others should also know that a rigorous duty binds them to keep their wards from this guilty sect or to draw them from it if they have already entered.

Sorry Lillith didn’t see your post, so I’ll leave it. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing this, Praise.

Not intending to veer this thread off topic, I wanted to share parenthetically that the founder of Mormonism, Joseph Smith, had some involvement with Freemasonry and the Mormon temple rituals are very similar to masonic rituals. Both organizations appear to have some compatibility with Christianity at the lower levels of enlightenment, but the deeper, advanced secrets are quite occultic.

Thank you, “Praise”; this was a very informative post. I knew that Catholics are forbidden to join; your personal experience illustrates further why this is so.

[quote=Tom]Depends on your knowledge and state of mind. From the CCC:
[/quote]

I would have thought that every Catholic would know its a mortal sin to join the Freemasons or any other secret society but you are right if they didn’t know then it would not be a mortal sin.

My husband and I both have grandfathers and great-grandfathers who were masons (and grandmothers and great-grandmothers who participated in the female affiliation–Eastern Star, does that sound right?), but I still haven’t a clue what anyone is referring to when they speak of the higher levels of masonry. Could someone please elaborate? What is occultic, specifically? How would one come to understand that what they are doing is of the occult?

I never really had a great understanding of what masonry is, but I always found it interesting that my grandmother had my great-grandfather’s mason ring melted down and made into a miraculous medal ring. . .I think I’m beginning to understand why.

Response: part 1

I appreciate your responses, and I am happy to elaborate.

Some masonic orgarnizations include:
DeMolay
Blue Lodge (the first three degrees)
Scottish Rite (one path of 4th to 32nd degrees)
York Rite (another path of 4th to 32nd degrees)
Shrine
Eastern Star

(there are more, including an organization for young girls- more information can be found on the internet. But a word of caution, don’t let curiousity guide your search. Know what information you are seeking and why. It can be a strong temptation to learn more about mysterious things like secret societies. Soon your guard might be lowered to the point where you would be so interested that you might be tempted to join to find out for yourself. St. Michael the archangel pray for us!)

The word occult- I’m no linguist, but generally it refers in broad terms to “secret knowledge.” Usually there is no real knowledge, but rather, a facilitation for a person to thirst for power and “secrets”. Witchcraft is occult. Satanism is occult. Cabalism is occult. Masonic ritual is occult.

Prayerfully consider speaking to a priest to learn how to identify and arm yourself against the occult. Christ conquers all.

Next reply very shortly…

Praise the Blessed Trinity!

New Advent has a pretty good section on this HERE…if you’re interested in learning about Masons, it would probably be worth the read.

God Bless,
RyanL

Response: Part 2

Is freemasonry philanthropic? The masonic organizations do give money to charitable causes. But underlying these works is a very dark symbolism that tears a soul away from the Blessed Trinity. Pray for them, that the Lord will deliver them. Darkness can be very subtle.

A question in this thread asked if it is wrong for a Christian to be a mason. My earlier post illustrated my beliefs on the subject, but I will elaborate.

Jesus teaches us that we first need to love God with our whole heart, mind and soul. As Christians we believe in one God in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Masonic ritual does not echo this.

When one joins the “fraternity” he receives three degrees, or rituals. Very arcane, seemingly harmless. But when understood in the wider context of their beliefs- very troubling.

A mason may choose to go deeper into the “fraternity” and recieve additional degrees through either the Scottish Rite, or the York Rite. It is here that the belief system is veiled in elaborate rituals. We see apocolyptic and very dark symbolism. Most people don’t take the time to really study what is occuring in the ritual. I repeat, consider the war in Heaven.

You (the reader) would not study rituals of witchcraft or satanism. Don’t study the occult rituals of masonry. I won’t repeat the abomination of belief presented there. But simply show you an alternative for those of you seeking the mystical.

If you are seeking these secrets, ask yourself why? What are your motivations- curiousity? Stop. Have faith that there are good reasons presented by Church authority to not join these organizations. Other protestant churches oppose the organization as well. I have also outlined some solid Christian beliefs that are in opposition to the masonic beliefs. We have much work to do being followers of Christ, and I gently recommend that we should not chase down occult beliefs out of curiosity. We need to channel our efforts to fulfill the will of the Lord in our life through His grace.)

Humble saints have performed real miracles recognized by the Church. Our faith is full of holy and mystical elements that lead us to Jesus. There is an abundance of alternatives available to us regarding the mystical. Read about Padre Pio, Father Paul of Moll, St. Faustina, St. Francis, St. Benedict, etc. Instead of seeking occult knowledge- seek the path of Christ. We seek Christ with humility, and receive Him through His Goodness and Grace.

Please pray for those blinded by the occult. Many do not even know what they are involved in. Remember more sinners are converted through prayer.

Finally, remember that all of us are sinners. Please use language carefully that we do not drive those involved with masonry away. We need to prayerfully consider how to gently guide them to the healing, pardon and peace of God. Again, prayer.

Thank you for reading my long-winded reply. I am happy to attempt to answer any more questions you might have.

For those who would like not only an understanding of FreeMasonry but also the knowledge and hope of what opposes its plan, see The Marian Movement of Priests message number 405 - The Beast Like a Leopard.
FreeMasonry is the re-birthed ancient religion of Baal. Its purpose is to oppose the salvation of Christ, the saving of souls and to blaspheme God.

[quote=thistle]I doubt it there is very much philanthropic about them.
I assume you know its a mortal sin to belong to the Freemasons.
[/quote]

I know it now. I didn’t know it then. One of these days I’ll research it a bit. Not now, I have midterms! :smiley:

You have spoken about the symbolism and rituals of freemasonry being satanic, but what of the actions of the higher masons? What is the goal of masonry? Do the 33rd degree masons look to harm society and benifit themselves? What about the many conspiracy theories regarding masons?

You have spoken about the symbolism and rituals of freemasonry being satanic, but what of the actions of the higher masons? What is the goal of masonry? Do the 33rd degree masons look to harm society and benifit themselves? What about the many conspiracy theories regarding masons?

Andrew11 I quote a portion of message 405

“The task of the masonic lodges is that of working today, with great astuteness, to bring humanity everywhere to disdain the holy Law of God, to work to open opposition to the Ten Commandments, and to take away the worship due to God alone in order to offer it to certain false idols which become extolled and adore by an ever increasing number of people: reason, flesh, money, discord, domination,violence, pleasure. Thus souls are precipitated into the dark slavery of evil, of vice and of sin and, at the moment of death and of the judgement of God, into the pool of eternal fire which is hell.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.