Dem Congressmen: Conservative Voices On Pbs May Be Illegal

DEM CONGRESSMEN: CONSERVATIVE VOICES ON PBS MAY BE ILLEGAL

Two congressional Democrats called Wednesday for an investigation into recent activities by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, suggesting that efforts by the Republican chairman of the private nonprofit to add more conservative programs onto PBS may violate federal law.

In a letter released Wednesday evening, Rep. David Obey, D-Wis., and Rep. John D. Dingell, D-Mich., asked CPB Inspector General Kenneth A. Konz to investigate the contracting, hiring and policies of the corporation, which distributes federal funds to public television stations. Both congressmen are ranking Democrats on committees that have oversight of public television.

They called recent actions taken by CPB Chairman Kenneth Tomlinson disturbing'' andextremely troubling.’’

A CPB spokesman could not be reached for comment. But in a recent interview with the LOS ANGELES TIMES, Tomlinson defended his efforts to expand conservative perspectives on PBS, saying he merely wants to increase the network’s audience.

story here:
drudgereport.com/flash3pbs.htm

Amusing. PBS was created to sell Lyndon Johnson’s “Great Society.” It made Bill Moyers a millionaire (enabling him to set up fronts such as “TomPaine.com”–run by his kid-- which support extreme left wing causes including John F. Kerry’s election campaign).

LBJ was clever. Nearly every congressional district was blessed with a PBS station making it very hard for any congressman to vote against funding it. For decades, the network has been the place where wealthy liberals got their kids jobs after they discovered there wasn’t much of a market for an Ivy League degree in Gender Studies, Black History etc

PBS is part of the Government/media/education complex. Go to Harvard, work at PBS, get a job in some government agency, work for a private network as an analyist, write a book, have others in the complex award you prizes, work for a Democratic politician, return to PBS or a government job…go round and round until, at the end, the Harvard School of Government or the Columbia School of Journalism awards you a sinecure as a visiting scholar.

Typical of the political left. Freedom of speech is OK only if it corresponds to their beliefs. Animal Farm and 1984 is alive and well and sitting on the left.

PF

Go to Harvard, work at PBS, get a job in some government agency

so true. i work for the government and i can tell you that it is terribly liberal and politically correct. on my gov. issued calender, it has written on the bottom:

“are reasonable accommodations available?”

“know what your agency’s affirmative action plan is”

“look at upward mobility”

“give full consideration to all”

“eliminate and prevent discrimination”

“communicate employee equal opportunity”

“know your rights”

“employee equal opportunity is the law”

“employee equal opportunity is for everybody”

they also waste tons of taxpayer money and is nearly criminal but that is another story.

The First Amendment: not applicable to conservatives.

Nice job, LeftWingers, nice show of tolerance and acceptance of freedom.

[quote=oat soda]so true. i work for the government and i can tell you that it is terribly liberal and politically correct. on my gov. issued calender, it has written on the bottom:

“are reasonable accommodations available?”

“know what your agency’s affirmative action plan is”

“look at upward mobility”

“give full consideration to all”

“eliminate and prevent discrimination”

“communicate employee equal opportunity”

“know your rights”

“employee equal opportunity is the law”

“employee equal opportunity is for everybody”

they also waste tons of taxpayer money and is nearly criminal but that is another story.
[/quote]

Curiously missing from the list:

Do your job and do it well.

Are you saying that these points are bad?

[quote=Richardols]Are you saying that these points are bad?
[/quote]

I’d say not so much bad as inefficient.

[quote=BobCatholic]The First Amendment: not applicable to conservatives.

Nice job, LeftWingers, nice show of tolerance and acceptance of freedom.
[/quote]

They demonstrate this all the time. When they attack conservatives, and you respond they will always play the First Amendment card, “I have freedom of speech!”

When you come back and say, “So do I. And I exercise that right to tell you how wrong you are” it outrages them.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

[quote=vern humphrey]They demonstrate this all the time. When they attack conservatives, and you respond they will always play the First Amendment card, “I have freedom of speech!”

When you come back and say, “So do I. And I exercise that right to tell you how wrong you are” it outrages them.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
[/quote]

Right. Every last one of us liberals gets outraged every time. You have us pegged.

[quote=Richardols]Right. Every last one of us liberals gets outraged every time. You have us pegged.
[/quote]

Do I detect a little outrage there?http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

[quote=vern humphrey]Do I detect a little outrage there?http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
[/quote]

Sure, we’re always in a state of outrage.

[quote=oat soda]so true. i work for the government and i can tell you that it is terribly liberal and politically correct.
[/quote]

Got so bad in the military in the 1990s we lost many pilots. My brother-in-law is one who stayed in. Because of his oath, he would never say a word about politics. But sometimes his head looked like it would explode when we did. He’s been a terrific husband to my sister and wonderful to our parents. Faithful and loyal to the end. Yet he had to take all these political correct indoctrination classes.

Told me one day he goes to work and avoids talking to anyone. He and everyone else was afraid their entire career would end with one accusation.

The only upside to this (and a downside to taxpayers) is he and other pilots got 30% or more pay raises to get them from taking a hike.

“Overall, PBS is self-destructing quite nicely,”
–Laurence Jarvik, author of “PBS: Behind the Screen”, commenting on the rise of the internet and cable.

Jarvik’s book is a good read. Documents how Democrats politicized PBS and how wasteful the network is.

:rotfl:Then they’ll say conservative voices are illegal on basic cable, then network news… then in school, in the home… wait, let’s just shut them all up riiiiiight :slight_smile: What will they think of next?!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.